Writers' Corner #18

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #18

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 943 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

Fair enough 😀 I’ve decided to try writing a contemporary, which is going to be kind of weird, because I’ve never written one, but I think it should be fun. And not as much research as I normally do 😀 I’d be lucky if I ever decided to write about the early church though, because my dad’s currently studying the early church and I get to proof read all his essays 😛

I know their boys but I’m a girl and wince every time my brothers thump each other. Do they not feel pain??? I don’t know. I guess I’m just the motherly type who wants to make sure no one gets hurt.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice Contemporary is very fun!  You should definitely try it sometime.  Mh, that would be cool.  I’m not much into ancient history, which I find quite depressing as a general rule, but I got so excited about this story I decided to write it anyway. 😉

Haha, I suppose I’ve become desensitized.  I’ve had a brothers/male cousins for all of my nineteen years, so…what else could I do?  I would assume it was either that or go crazy.  My grandmother, however, (on my mom’s side, American) grew up as an only child, and had three daughters.  So my brothers’ needs to wrestle, poke, punch, etc. constantly were a kind of revelation to her. 😛

@valtmy
        @seekjustice I have a question about my story.  What do you think of my character Nes?  Is he interesting or not?  Should he show up often, or just a few times?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
        @valtmy
          • Total Posts: 732

@seekjustice

If you’re the motherly type that wants to make sure no one gets hurt. why are you hurting your characters? 😛

@rochellaine

Great! I would love to continue reading your story then 🙂

Hmm… giving your MC two names might be interesting and justified if she is navigating two different cultures.

As for my own MC… no English names for her. Or Chinese ones even. 😂 There was no English in historical Korea and while the historical Koreans may have used Chinese names when interacting with Chinese emissaries and officials, that has no relevance to my story at all.

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice

@rochellaine

No, me either. And my father has bad grammar, but I love him so I read his essays. 😛 I think I’m just holding back from contemporary because, as a general rule, there’s less opportunity for physical torture of characters. Still, I’d love to see if I can write a book without killing anyone.

Ah, see, my eldest brother, who’s fifteen, has always been one of those super quiet and shy boys, so he and I played together a lot but he was never into physical violence for the most part. And then my other brother was born and he was more so, but couldn’t wrestle with his big brother. And then my final brother was born, so perfect wrestling partner. I’ve only been getting used to this brothers bashing each other up thing for a year or two 😀

I don’t remember Nes at all, so I’ll have to reread it. Give me a moment.

@valtmy

my logic is obviously flawed, but as I was explaining to Rochellaine the other night, I am a paradox. And anyway, I do it all out of love. Can you imagine what sort of nightmare Chessy would be if she never went through that revolution?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

valtmy
            @valtmy

@rochellaine

I had to return to the doc to see who Nes is (me and my forgetfulness).

I suppose it’s really up to you to decide since I don’t know what you have planned for your plot. The whole proverbs thing is a potentially interesting quirk that can be a good source of wit and levity (not that your story is a comedy).

I’m fine if he’s just a throwaway, one-off character since I understand that he’s there to add to the context and background of your MC (and to be unhelpful so that your MC has to get into trouble because of that sandal). But if you are expanding on his character or giving him an arc that is important to the story, then go for it.

But if you don’t have anything for him in particular and your plan is for your MC to go on a journey and eventually return home, then I’ll expect him to show up again to at least give a reaction to whatever changes you have put your MC through. My suggestion is to keep him in mind and use him if it makes sense for him to be involved in the story.

@seekjustice

She’ll be stuck in a very unfulfilling, sheltered life? And be without a love interest? 😛

Haha I’m just kidding. I know why I hurt my characters so I know why you also do.

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I think its too early to really tell about Nes. He does sound like he might be important, or at least a recurring character, from the amount of information you put in about him, so I definitely think you could expand him. Or you could not, its up to you. I’d have to have read the whole novel to decide whether he’s necessary. And I think he could be interesting, if you gave him the chance to be. You’ve got a good foundation already with his witty proverbs and general quirkiness.

@valtmy

And my goodness, life without a love interest is hardly life at all! At least for a YA character

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice

@rochellaine @valtmy

I have to go now. Bye!!

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine
                    • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice @valtmy Haha, I have been thinking about Nes so much I thought he had a longer scene.  I see I was wrong. 😛  But thanks for the input.  In answer,

No, she’s not going on a long journey, she’ll be coming home pretty soon, so living in the same town with Nes, (at least during the beginning of the book,) she’ll probably see him again. 😉  Yes, my story’s not a comedy, but yes again, I agree that a bit of comedy would definitely make it more interesting, so I hope to keep him making proverbs in any scenes he’s in.

Oh, and, of course, “life without a love interest is no life at all!” 😛  “at least for a YA character.”  I completely agree.

Seekjustice, See you.  Valtmy, I’ll be leaving too, so goodnight!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
                    @valtmy

@seekjustice @rochellaine

Bye! I’m also leaving.

Joy
                      @dekreel
                        • Total Posts: 2304

@seekjustice  @rochellaine  @valtmy  @jenwriter17  @sarah-anson  @anyone

Oy! I’m writing! Care to join me?

You can pronounce it however you want.

Jenna Terese
                        @jenwriter17
                          • Total Posts: 2522

@dekreel AH I WISH I COULD JOIN YOU!…but, alas, I cannot. 🙁 maybe I’ll catch ya another time 😉

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                          www.jennaterese.com

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@dekreel

You still around? I’m here now, working on a blog post.

@rochellaine
                            @valtmy @catwing Either of you wish to join us?

Catwing
                            @catwing
                              • Total Posts: 2557

@seekjustice *swoops in through the window* *lands regally on the table using her wings as a cape* I have arrived to finish my outline and maybe start on actually writing my book. Like rewriting whole chapters. D:
                              It is a short outline, so I hope to conquer it swiftly. *nods*

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

SeekJustice
                              @seekjustice

@catwing

I have a love/hate relationship with the rewriting process, which is what I’ve been doing for the past few months. I’m almost finished now though, so that’s a relief. Which book are you rewriting?

Catwing
                                @catwing
                                  • Total Posts: 2557

@seekjustice It’s kinda that way with me too. I’ve been rewriting this one for I while and I am excited and want to write book two. 😛
                                  I hope this is the last major rewrite I have to do.
                                  It’s Finding Secrets. I told you about that one right?

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 943 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >