Writers' Corner #18

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #18

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 943 total)
  • Author
    valtmy
    @valtmy
      • Total Posts: 732

@rochellaine

Uh yeah I don’t think I read that. Can I? 😛

Yes, my MC is a stupid and annoying little shit. Especially as a child (she’s a grown woman now). She’s also a snob though and incredibly jaded and concerned with survival now so I don’t know how much help she would actually give your MC (I have punished my MC terribly).

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice Hi!  I’m falling asleep, so I probably won’t be on much longer.  Terrible for my poor heroine, though, since she’s stuck in a horrible situation, and since I’m not used to writing horrible situations I can’t get her out of it… 😮 😛

Ah yes, I remember.  The musical that’s in German.

I have a pen from China with an origami crane on top of it.  I just realized that yesterday when I was writing my brother a birthday card. 😀  It’s a mini crane, like a half inch at the most.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice
          • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

Poor…what’s her name?? You obviously need to practise more authorial cruelty.

Yep, that one.

That’s so cool 😀 I’d love a pen like that! I’ve made some mini cranes before and they’re extremely cute 😛

I’m listening to Gee Officer Krupke now. Which one is Russ Tumblyn?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine

@valtmy Sure, you can read it.  I’ll give you the link to the opening, which is what I showed SeekJustice.  It’s purely unedited, and I don’t want comments right now, other than stuff like “that sounds interesting” or “that’s a kinda weird idea.” 😛  Anyway,

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lPZMXys_V-O85iVGn2neNq1QNaXh7Tj4y2klBPB0C9w/edit?usp=sharing

Oh, by the way…I don’t think you intended it that way, but the fourth adjective you used to describe your character, which is also a noun, is considered a curse word in America, so you might not want to use that around your American friends. 😉  Especially around Christian ones.  Unless they use it first. 😛

@seekjustice
            Her name is Bathshua.  I personally dislike the name, but it means “daughter of wealth.” 🙂  Listen, I’m trying…okay? 😛  Give me time.

Russ Tamblyn is the one doing most of the talking/singing. Curly brown hair, great acrobatics.  How do you like it?  It took me several times of listening before I could understand all the words, given that they’re using that totally weird accent.  But then, you’re used to listening to the fake New York accent in Newsies, right?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
            @valtmy

@rochellaine

Oops sorry! I didn’t know that. Where I’m from that word is considered pretty tame so it is used sometimes even when people share their testimonies (“I went from one **** situation to another…”). 😅

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I won’t pretend to like the name Bathshua either, but I don’t really know any Bible names, except for the obvious ones like Phoebe, Priscilla, etc. But they’re Greek names, and Bathshua sounds Hebrew, so I can’t really suggest anything.

Ah, okay. I thought that might have been him, since you mentioned him. It was pretty funny, and I quite enjoyed it. 😀 I didn’t have any trouble understanding them, but I did have to listen to the song twice just to make sure I got the lyrics quite right. I thought they were a little…edgy for a 1960s musical 😛

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice

@valtmy

😀 I’ve been in similar situation before 😛 cultural differences, I suppose. That particular word is used a lot in Australia but I’d definitely get into trouble if I said it in my house, or in church. 😛

valtmy
                  @valtmy

@rochellaine

I’ve read it. It’s interesting so far and now I’m curious as to how much trouble she’s going to get in just because of that broken sandal. But, yes, @seekjustice is right. Bathshua is a mouthful to say. 😛

But considering my MC’s own name… 😅 I have no problems pronouncing it myself of course but others less familiar with Korean would.

Rochellaine
                    @rochellaine

@valtmy Yeah, totally fine.  😛 Different cultures.  Anyway, the word people usually would use in polite company here would be the milder form with the same meaning which starts with “c”.  As you can see, I don’t even use that one, but I have a few friends who do, and it’s totally not considered bad, like the other one is. 😉

@seekjustice
                      Since this is just the first draft I am definitely intending on changing a lot of things later.  I will probably get attached to the name, however, just because of my character.  I really have no idea what type of name she would have had, since at that point a lot of Hebrews had Greek names either instead of or in addition to their Hebrew names.  At least, I’m pretty sure of that.  It could just be that the names were translated into their Greek counterparts when the Bible was written.  I’m doing something different in that I’m not doing a whole lot of research right now (I usually research for hours and hours especially for his-fic) but am just focusing on the story, and then later I’ll take it apart and rewrite everything from a historical perspective.  Since I’ve found out I like editing/rewriting, I think that ought to go well.

Ah, yeah.  And apparently the lyricist wanted them to be even edgier… 😮 I think he tried to put a curse word in it, but the producers wouldn’t let him. 😛  West Side Story is probably the official start of the darker musical age that has now come upon us.  Up till then it was mostly light, airy romantic comedies that ruled the musical world.  Glad you liked it, though.  My sister and I always laugh when he pops up his head and says “hey, I got a social disease!” and “I’m depraved on account a I’m deprived!” 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@valtmy I’m glad you like it!  Ohhh…much more trouble! 😛  You won’t believe what happens in the next couple of paragraphs.  I mean, for a normal author, yeah, but for a character-coddler like me, my poor little girl is breaking my heart!

Bathshua is a mouthful to say, but not as much for me…as you say your heroine’s name is from your culture, my dad is from the Middle East, so I’m used to similar sounding names to that.  I don’t think it’s very pretty, but I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it.  Actually, I have a plan, but am not sure when it will come into fruition.  Okay, that probably just made it more confusing.  I’ll stop now. 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I’m not sure whether the Jews back then were called by their Greek names, or whether because the Bible was written in Greek whether they were translated into Greek when it was written. You’d have to do more research on that 😀 I like researching though, do you like research? I assume you do.

Not that I really had a problem with them, but I was…surprised, to say the least.

“Hey, I gotta social disease!” *Whack* Poor boy 😀

valtmy
                          @valtmy

@rochellaine

A plan? Regarding your heroine’s name? OK I guess I’ll just see what you come up with if you decide to continue with the story.  😛

But you’re not the only one stuck with a difficult name for the purpose of symbolism. 😀 My MC’s name means ‘bright moon’ in Korean and the king and queen are often compared to the sun and moon so that’s where mine came from.

Rochellaine
                            @rochellaine

@seekjustice I love research!  But since I think it will take an extremely long time to research for this project and I really want to write it now, I’m going to do the research later.  I know the culture very well, since it’s very similar to my dad’s culture, and I’ve compared and contrasted the cultures a lot, and that’s what I need most for the story itself.  The geography and laws of the era will be what I have to research, and I think that will fit in okay in the editing period.

Yeah, the topics sound very modern, don’t they?  I was quite surprised when I first heard it, too.

Oh, but they’re boys.  That’s how boys act.  He liked being hit on the head because his friend did it and it was fun.  I have five brothers…I know… 😛 😛 (I’m sure you know too, since you know a lot of boys, and you do have brothers, though they’re younger. 😉 )

Did you and your sister ever decide which movie you’d be watching next?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
                              @valtmy

@rochellaine @seekjustice

I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly but from what I learnt in my bible study, whether the names are Jewish or Greek can indicate the person’s background and origin. So I guess you should look at what type of name your MC’s family, given who they are as people, would give her.

Rochellaine
                                @rochellaine

@valtmy Actually, I am continuing with the story right now.  That’s the one I’m working on for camp nano this July. 😉  Dunno whether I’m disciplined enough to get a lot done, but it’s going pretty well.  Or pretty badly, if you consider that she’s in a much worse situation now than she was at the end of the part you read. 😛

Yes, I’m not sure.  I would have thought that, but then I remembered that several of the disciples have Greek or Roman names but they were all Hebrew…

I went with Hebrew because it seemed most reasonable that she would have a Hebrew name.  I’m wondering, however, if it’s possible she would have two names, like Esther/Hadassah did.  One for her family and one for official business.  My brother actually has that – he has a Middle Eastern name which everyone in my dad’s extended family calls him, but he has an English name which everyone else in America calls him. 😛  And a lot of the Koreans and Chinese people who have visited us have used both their birth names and American/English names.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Viewing 15 posts - 706 through 720 (of 943 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >