hi (again)

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE hi (again)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Sara
    @savannah_grace2009
      • Total Posts: 1984

@lightoverdarkness6

finding very awesome writing prompts and daydreaming about writing them but never actually doing it

That’s me ALL THE TIME!!! I thought I was the only one!!!!

@scripter-of-kingdoms

Hi! I joined a little over a month ago! I’m Sara, a freshman who loves music, is obsessed with her group of charries, loves reading, writing, and of course Jesus!

I’m not good at asking questions…but I’ll try, lol

Do you play any musical instruments?

Have you ever flown on an airplane? I haven’t. 🙁

Lukas&Livia
      #Lalbert
      Sef&Chase
      #HOTTOLINE
      LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

RAE
      @rae
        • Total Posts: 3008

@scripter-of-kingdoms

I got inspired by Nahim in the beginning, then his story kept going and I followed.

Kads
        @scripter-of-kingdoms
          • Total Posts: 765

@thearcaneaxiom nice to meet you! what’s your favourite kind of math? i’m currently studying algebra II heheh (although math is far from my favourite subject criiiii)

septrum is a really cool name! any meaning behind it?

hmmm, i feel like i tend to lean towards hard worldbuilding, but in a subtle way? like characters casually offhand mentioning societal rules, etc.?

OOH okay well i wouldnt say this is a “concept” per se, but i really loved the vibe of Final Fantasy 7 (it’s a videogame lol yes im a nerd). i think the way they pulled off the plot was really well done (Tetsuya Nomura wrote something comprehensible for once), and the backstory of the whole world and stuff was very good. that was probably not the answer you’re looking for though, sorry 😅

hmmm….. i guess concept-wise i haven’t come up with anything that’s specifically new to the genre….? if that’s what you meant?

hehe well i have two (three if you count an alternate history world)! one is set in the country of Ga’lora, divided into seven kingdoms. it’s sort of a medieval-type world. no magic per se, although faeries, elves, and the like do exist. strange creatures also exist. and evil princes. heh

my other world doesn’t really have a name but the kingdoms in it do, most of the book takes place in Ber. the world is low fantasy and heavily inspired by the Old Testament! ^.^

and then the third one is just an alternate history of wales in the 1100s lol

i’m currently studying Korean, Mandarin and Welsh most often, but i’ve also dabbled in French to the level where i can speak/understand enough to have decent conversations. i’ve also studied bits and pieces of Japanese, Arabic, Latin, Hebrew and Russian, though i never got very far in any of them 😭 i have indeed thought about making a conlang! i’ve made up languages for story purposes but never fleshed any of them out to the point where i’d say i could speak it or even know what the rules of it are LOL mostly they’re just mentioned in passing

hmmm, well, i think that depends on what you mean there… since the tree, in itself, has both log and leaves, it would feel incomplete to address a fish and tree as a fiog or leash. therefore, trish seems the most acceptable in that scenario. HOWEVER, if it were simply a pile of leaves and a fish, or a log and a fish, with additional tree-ness not present, then i’d say fiog or leash would be passable

same questions go for you!

staring at the fields
          if nothing's really real
          i'll make the winter now my home

Kads
          @scripter-of-kingdoms

@esther-c awwww kalmar is such a well-done character….. the ending with him and janner always makes me tear up :’)

what is your favourite piece to play? ^^

@mineralizedwritings
            huh, i never actually read city of ember LOL maybe i ought to check it out

awwww yay! would you say you’re happy with where you are now writing wise? ^.^

staring at the fields
            if nothing's really real

Kads
            @scripter-of-kingdoms

@lightoverdarkness6

nice to meet you too! ahhh don’t worry about turning 15, it seems worse than it is LOL

ooooh very nice hobbies! what music do you like? ^^

awwww tehe *hugs*

oh my worddd twelve year old me wasn’t cool 😂 but i’m honoured you thought so, hehe

HAHA WELL IT’S HARD i can tell you that, it takes me so much energy (and many a nanowrimo) to finish books LOL

1. tragedy boys, it’s SO SPECIAL to me… the characters are incredibly dear to my heart and i’ve spent so much time with them they’re incredibly real people to me 😭

2. hmmmm… most fun? probably youngho or katsu (the former being my favourite character and the latter being an annoying, VERY charming arrogant jerk who has adhd and just. has such a presence. he is the certified Cool Person™. i love my characters so much oh my word help)

3. english (lol), enough french to hold decent conversations with people, about the same level for korean, basic mandarin, and very basic welsh

4. VANSIRE!!!!!! i literally love their music so much criiiiiiiiiiiiiiii they make me so happy

same questions go for you!!

haha funny that you mention kpop… i’m not really into it anymore 😅 i found out a little after i left KP that a lot of the artists in that industry are into some pretty shady spiritual stuff… so i dropped listening to it, lol

also my word i must tell you, your enthusiasm and friendliness made me happy ^^ 💗

staring at the fields
              if nothing's really real

Kads
              @scripter-of-kingdoms

@freedomwriter76 nice to meet you too!!

oooo you’re southern? i have many southern friends and they are all such a joy 😭💗 i love yall smmmm

oh my word congrats on your novel! that’s amazing! i’m glad to hear that!

how long have you been writing for? 😊

staring at the fields
                if nothing's really real

Kads
                @scripter-of-kingdoms

@savannah_grace2009 nice to meet you and welcome to the forum! ^^

i do! i am a cellist 😊 what about you? <3

i have, but i can’t remember it, big sadddd haha it was when i was two years old

how long have you been writing for?

@rae

that’s amazing! stories inspired by characters are always great! i have several like that myself, i get where you’re coming from hehe

staring at the fields
                  if nothing's really real

Kads
                  @scripter-of-kingdoms

@acancello

dude…. how???????

uhhhh i haven’t read the TP manga… but i think they’re trying to keep it pretty close to the game? i do know that link doesnt get his arm sliced off though LOL but when you play the game… even just the colour/vibe/everything is just darker than other zelda games 😅

that’s amazing! book ideas conceived on walks are always awesome 😉 many of mine started that way hehe

ooooh i like the sound of him! i wanna be his friend tbh haha

staring at the fields
                    if nothing's really real

hybridlore
                    @hybridlore
                      • Total Posts: 1354

@scripter-of-kingdoms

that’s great!! ^^

yes i took the enneagram before and i believe i’m a 4? i don’t mess around with enneagram tho cuz it has shady origins so i’m not too hot on that 😅

Ohh, didn’t know about that. I like the concept, and it’s great for characters, but yeah, I might try to avoid it otherwise.

nope, i’ve got “Long, Long Ago” in c maj by T.H. Bayly.

Okay, I have that one too but it’s farther in the book. How many songs do you have?

i love sf too! i’d also love to write a science fantasy and a steampunk someday… 😍

I know… Steampunk is pretty cool sometimes, too.

yessss the time quintet is so worth the read! i highly recommend hehe

Okay, awesome! I’ll have to recheck it out.

ooh i’ve heard of nadine brandes! is she good?

Yeah, shes one of my favorite authors! Anything by her is worth checking out, but I especially recommend Fawkes.

There is always light behind the clouds.
                      - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Kads
                      @scripter-of-kingdoms

@hybridlore

yeahhh… from what ik about it, it’s rooted in some mysticism related stuff and whatnot ;-;

hmm, im actually not sure lol i haven’t flipped through the whole book yet, i’ll lyk on that one

yes i looove steampunk haha

interesting, i’ve heard that one’s quite good! i’ll give it a go!

staring at the fields
                        if nothing's really real

MineralizedWritings
                        @mineralizedwritings
                          • Total Posts: 2794

@scripter-of-kingdoms

Yeah well I read it back in 4th grade XD who knows if it’s actually good or not, my standards were low.

Kinda sorta… I have so many things I want to do it’s overwheleming XD How about you? Do you have any plans for your finished books or are you just happy to keep them for yourself?

へびは かっこいい です!

Kads
                          @scripter-of-kingdoms

@mineralizedwritings

fair enough, lol am i the only person who still reads the same books she read in fourth grade..? maybe? maybe not? hehe

that’s totally fair, i completely understand that haha what’re you wanting to do?

yes i want to publish mine ^.^ unfortunately 2 out of the 3 books i’ve finished need to be rewritten first because i changed my writing style hahaha

staring at the fields
                            if nothing's really real

TheArcaneAxiom
                            @thearcaneaxiom
                              • Total Posts: 1250

@scripter-of-kingdoms

nice to meet you! what’s your favourite kind of math? i’m currently studying algebra II heheh (although math is far from my favourite subject criiiii)

Hmmm, I really enjoy Set Theory, Number Theory, as well as Topology, amongst other fields, so my interests are a little all over the place, but the core of what I like about mathematics is the idea of feeling around the boundaries of what constitutes as fundamental, non-derivative truth. I’m currently studying Calculus, though I technically should already be done with it. I get that math isn’t everyone’s thing, although I blame the school system for that for the most part.

septrum is a really cool name! any meaning behind it?

Yeah, we created it to hold a double meaning in Earth languages. Sept as in 7, as well as Scept as in scepter. These two meanings are aspects of the Septrum on the scale of the biggest things in the universe, as well as the scale of the smallest things in the universe. I’ll probably explain in more detail later on this post, since you want me to answer my own questions.

hmmm, i feel like i tend to lean towards hard worldbuilding, but in a subtle way? like characters casually offhand mentioning societal rules, etc.?

That makes sense. That’s typically the best way to do hard worldbuilding. When you make it a component of the story, characters explaining or witnessing those details, it is far more digestible for the readers. Hard worldbuilding done poorly is hard worldbuilding explained in one big section of the story, likely at the beginning, this is known as info dumping, which readers tend to hate. So my answer to this question would be the same. Although I’m fine with info dumping, as far as reading a rant about some cool idea, but I don’t like to see that in an actual story. There’s an art to taking all those details, and integrating the most relevant ones into the story, so it’s actually a needed aspect of the story, not just a backdrop for the characters, while also not being a distraction from the characters.

OOH okay well i wouldnt say this is a “concept” per se, but i really loved the vibe of Final Fantasy 7 (it’s a videogame lol yes im a nerd). i think the way they pulled off the plot was really well done (Tetsuya Nomura wrote something comprehensible for once), and the backstory of the whole world and stuff was very good. that was probably not the answer you’re looking for though, sorry 😅

Cool! I know very little about Final Fantasy, I started playing a version once, but didn’t get into it😅 (Though I do enjoy videogames I promise, lol). So what your saying is that you like the unique narrative concept? Fair enough, it’s not that it isn’t an answer I’m looking for, it just doesn’t tell me much since I never played, but that’s still really cool!

It’s hard for me to pick only one concept that I really like, but I really enjoy Brandon Sanderson’s writing as a whole, where he has countless fresh and intriguing concepts in each story. Just one example of one of his more recent stories, Tress and the Emerald Sea, is making use of fluidization, a principle in science where any granulated substance like sand, with some constant flow of a gas from underneath at the right frequency will make the sand act like a fluid (Definitely look it up, it’s really surreal to look at). What Sanderson does with this, is he makes a planet where all the oceans are not made of any fluids, but fluidized sand-like spores. Air vents at the bottom of the ocean causes the fluidization. So what does this do to the story? Well theirs the magic system involved with the grains being “spores”, but I won’t mention that unless your want to hear more, but at that point, you should just read it. So ignoring the magic side, there’s actually occasional chaotic periods of time where the air vents suddenly stop completely. You can probably imagine the consequences. All the waves would suddenly stop, turning into static dunes, and ships sailing these oceans would creak to a halt, frozen in time. For these brief periods, people could even get off the ships, and walk across the surface, maybe to get to another ship, but that would be extremely dangerous, because the moment the vents start back up, your a goner.

hmmm….. i guess concept-wise i haven’t come up with anything that’s specifically new to the genre….? if that’s what you meant?

It doesn’t necessarily have to be something new, as long as it is something that is one way or another, simply yours. It could be the narrative, some character, a culture, a creature, or anything else you’ve added to your world that you simply like.

As for me, I once again struggle to choose between my own ideas, but one of my favorites is a character I’ve made, or less the character, more the character’s relationship with the sword he wields. Liren wields a sword that controls him. He has little agency in what he does. The sword’s name is Kirrtes. Kirrtes has him rampage and assassinate. The worst part for Liren however, is not only seeing the faces of the people he kills, but also, when piercing living flesh, he’s enveloped into their experience, he feels the pain of the blade in his flesh, he feels all their thoughts, guilt, hate, memories, he experiences what they experience when they look at their killer. In these moments, he has no connection to his actual self, he is this person. He sees the light that comes when death is arriving, but is denied it’s sweet release. In this way, he’s died a thousand times, through the eyes of men, women, and children, but once death comes, he’s pulled away, back into his own body, and he can only see the dead body of his victim. He experiences all their pain, knowing that it is by his hand, having no power to stop it. He hates Kirrtes, but hates himself as well.

Sad I know😅

hehe well i have two (three if you count an alternate history world)! one is set in the country of Ga’lora, divided into seven kingdoms. it’s sort of a medieval-type world. no magic per se, although faeries, elves, and the like do exist. strange creatures also exist. and evil princes. heh

Cool! What are some of these “strange creatures” you speak of?

my other world doesn’t really have a name but the kingdoms in it do, most of the book takes place in Ber. the world is low fantasy and heavily inspired by the Old Testament! ^.^

Ooh, so does it have things like dragons and giants like the ones alluded to in the Old Testament?

and then the third one is just an alternate history of wales in the 1100s lol

Cool! What makes it an alternate history? Is it a historical fiction, or is it truly history reimagined, perhaps with fantastical elements and such?

The Septrum would be what I would talk about to answer this question. There’s too many things to really get into about the nature of this world, but since you asked about the name earlier, that’s a good start. So the majority of the ‘planets’ in this universe are not planets at all, but elongated 4 dimensional superstructures passing through a 3 dimensional cross-section, called septres. To unpack that in layman’s terms,  it’s often best explained in analogy using a 3 dimensional object passing through a 2 dimensional plane. How about this, imagine a kind of fish that only lives on the surface of the water, it can’t move or see up or down, only what is straight in front of it. Now imagine my fingers entering the water, what does the fish see? Does it realize that the fingers are all linked together in a complex shape known as a hand? No, it only sees the individual parts of the fingers that are in line with the surface of the water. As the hand slowly submerges itself, the fish sees the individual slices of the fingers in its view, slowly morph and change and eventually merge together into one blobby mass. We know obviously that this is just a hand, and there is no change in shape, topology, or volume, yet it looks like it does in the fish’s context. Now entertain the idea that there is an extra spatial direction we cannot imagine or interact with because we are restricted to a limited view. If something of extra spatial qualities passed through our  reality, it would seem to morph and change in completely alien ways, even if it is a completely solid object. This is what the septres are. Imagine the earth being made of absurd shapes and geometries that would have been impossible in the 3d mechanics we’re familiar with, now perfectly plausible and even likely in this universe. I like to call it a worldbuilding lifehack, because of the possibilities it opens up to rationalize nearly any bazar idea for a world. The name simply comes from the fact that if you had 4d vision, the septres would be these elongated structures, like a large stick, or scepter.

Each septre has 7 different eras of time associated with the current position of the septre in 3d space, and therefore the actual shape of the world people experience. I only have about 5 of my eras worked out currently. This isn’t the only connection to 7, the other has to do with the magic system. There are 7 elements of reality (physics is different so that these all make more sense together as distinct concepts under a common theme): Solid, liquid, gas, sound, thought, light, and ether. They are each associated with one of the 7 prime knots with 7 crossings.

Sorry for the rant, but that’s the basic ideas of what leads to the name at least😅

i’m currently studying Korean, Mandarin and Welsh most often, but i’ve also dabbled in French to the level where i can speak/understand enough to have decent conversations. i’ve also studied bits and pieces of Japanese, Arabic, Latin, Hebrew and Russian, though i never got very far in any of them 😭 i have indeed thought about making a conlang! i’ve made up languages for story purposes but never fleshed any of them out to the point where i’d say i could speak it or even know what the rules of it are LOL mostly they’re just mentioned in passing

Cool! Je parle un peu francais! Ca va? Yeah, I’ve studied French the most, but also bits of Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Arabic, and a few conlangs like Toki Pona as well as one of my own, Lasi’el. Conlanging is one of my favorite hobbies, I’ve made like 20 now, but most of my older ones suck. Lasi’el is one of my favorites, and the only one I really want to try learning, but I also really like S”halek, which I made for a fantasy race I made with two lines of thought instead of one. Even if only passing mention, what are some of your conlangs, and are there any intriguing features in them, even if there’s no inherent structure?

hmmm, well, i think that depends on what you mean there… since the tree, in itself, has both log and leaves, it would feel incomplete to address a fish and tree as a fiog or leash. therefore, trish seems the most acceptable in that scenario. HOWEVER, if it were simply a pile of leaves and a fish, or a log and a fish, with additional tree-ness not present, then i’d say fiog or leash would be passable

Sounds reasonable enough. But then if you have a fiog, then you bring it over to a leash, does it suddenly change into a fish and tree?

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 8156

@scripter-of-kingdoms

Haha, well thanks 😂💕 I do love the South…very much, actually XD

Aww, tysm!!! 💕💕 I’m pretty happy about it lol

Hmm, welllll, as for taking writing seriously, probably about 4 years or so?? but I have probably been writing for fun since I was 9 or 10 😊

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 8156

and btw, I am not very old…i know what i said may make it seem like i’m older than others here XD😭

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >