A Language for Kingdom Pen

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions A Language for Kingdom Pen

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    LRC
    @lrc
      • Total Posts: 30

@leon-fleming Thanks! I love writing them but of course life keeps me from getting much done at a time.

What on earth could I POSSIBLY do to earn this (possible) knowledge?!? And why Wales over England, anyway?

Also what’s your WiP?

@not-so-secret-secret-assassin
      And what’s your WiP, my dear assassin friend? Oh, and promise you’ll protect me from all my enemies, won’t ya? Including @dragon-snapper if she decides she doesn’t fancy me 😀

@selah-chelyah
      @kathleenramm

Btw, you all are my friends now, I’m claiming you. You can call me L. 😀

Also I’m totally aware I hijacked your talk about a KP language…despitie my slight study of Gaelic, Irish, Scottish, and Spanish, I believe I would like to be a Royal Encourager like @jenwriter17 Is there room for a second Encourager, @erinramm ? That’s right up my alley.

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah
        • Total Posts: 245

@leon-fleming

Haha. Water fountain, though? XD

@lrc

Yeah, lol, again the dangerous question! I hate trying to describe them. 😛 They’re so much better than my puny, skinny pieces. XD Plus I’m writing right now, and don’t feel like describing what I’m writing. Lol! I’ll copy and paste a bit, though…and here’s a link to my intro topic, which is sorta helpful that way as well. Hehe. https://kingdompen.org/forums/topic/its-a-plane-its-a-bird-its-a-nother-kapeefer/

Three of the six co-author books w/ my sis are a futuristic trilogy (we decided to write it together ’cause it was too dark + tough for one to write XD), two others are extreme action-adventure/his-fic, etc, and the third is a major his-fic/5-fairytales-in-one retelling. Craziness, I know. XD

My books are, I think, basically all his-fic. (Or else modern-era-set, two or three of them I think are.) And I really don’t want to try and describe them all. Just look at my Pinterest boards that start with “WIP-“. Lol! Really. They’re anything from WWII spies and betrayal (with almost completely real historical people) set in Lyon, France, to ancient Israel, to a nearly-modern-day Delta operator who travels the world and you name it, to all kinds of other characters and settings. XD

One WWII MC gets pitchforked to death by peasants in Germany while his buddy watches from the skies in his fighter plane, another more modern-day fighter pilot is downed over Iraq and gets caught up in all kinds of clan wars, etc, another MC saves his future wife from a burning building in a highly dramatic manner and almost dies in the effort, another MC ‘interacts with’ the King of France in the late 1700’s, on and on and on…. It’s actually kinda fun ruining all my future books like this, you know? XD Anyway, there you go. Look at my boards for a lot more info and clarity…

Ok, sorry for the vague descriptions, but there you go. I honestly really don’t enjoy trying to describe my WIPs. XD And you should make an intro topic for yourself, if you haven’t already and I don’t know it, so we don’t keep hijacking this thread. 🙂

Prendre garde ~ I bleed ink

LRC
        @lrc

@selah-chelyah

Lol! I know. I’ve had to try to find a way to explain to people what my stories about in like three sentences. It’s so hard because the best parts are mostly spoilers and/or seem really random when you mention them. Like I understand your excitement about a MC interacting with the King of France (eeekk stuff like that is fun) but non-writers would be like…”okay? And?”

Also pray tell how dost one make a new topic? I’ve never been able to figure that out.

Selah CJW
          @selah-chelyah

@lrc

Argh, yes! My goodness, yes. Absolute truth right there.

New topic? Awesome question. It’s sorta weird, really. Lol. If you’re on KP homepage, if you hover over the “forum” dropdown, just click on the “forum” instead of the “join the community” or “recent topics” dropdowns. That’ll take you to a page of topic groups, click on a group, it’ll give you the topics for that group, and up at the top right there’s a place to click “create new topic”. Rr, I hope that makes sense. XD!

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
            @william-starkey
              • Total Posts: 634

@lrc You’re welcome! Yeah, that happens.

You must (this is VERY important so listen carefully). I repeat YOU MUST…send me a chocolate bar. I REALLY NEED CHOCOLATE!

WEll! *polishes knuckles*, now that you ask, of course, I must answer. Here goes.

I actually have way too many projects to recount here in brief, so I’ll go with the main ones. As of now, I’m working on many projects in my fantasy world. Now, alongside of this, I’m making numerous maps, languages, histories, mythology, world-building in general, manuscripts, poetry, and other things for this fantasy world. I hope to soon begin several etymologies for several of my languages, but I’ll have to wait until they’re more developed. Point being this: I’m doing all of this for fun, and to help boost my future fantasy novels. I’ll also be hopefully releasing material similar to Tolkien’s Great Tales. Though not in story; rather in fictional historical content and style. Though that content is my own content and that style is changed with my own style.

These are all long-term projects, but the few that I’m working on right now are these: I’m compiling an epic fantasy poem describing the certain events that took place with a certain number of characters in the past of when my novel takes place. I’ve averaged the actual poem to be somewhere around 300 pages, with the finished book coming out around 400 pages. Word count is somewhere around 100,000 words, but that is likely to change.

I hope to complete a manuscript of this around September sometime; that is, after going through five pre-planned drafts. This is titled The Lay of the West, and is split into three distinct parts. The first of which, is called The Histories, or The Lahrï. Now, know this. “Lahrï” does not translate directly to English as “history” or “histories”. “Lahrï” presents a different idea; almost like “the before happenings”, but with an ancient feel to it. So something like “the elder happenings” in the tale. This half deals with one main character throughout the whole of it, and is the tale of his life. Then parts two and three recount the happenings of quite a different character; the first part deals with events that lead to parts two and three. Part one is also a historical record devised by one who wrote it in the fictional history. This is the first of the Epic Lays. Parts two and three of this lay are also titled, but I won’t tell them here yet.

After I finish this sometime in September, I’ll reboot my fantasy novel (in the same world) and recontinue the plotting. I’ll probably end up scrapping those ideas and beginning anew.

Then, in November, I’ll begin a second Epic Lay situated around about the same length as The Lay of the West. That’ll be some extensive writing, as I plan to write ten pages for all thirty days of November straight. We’ll see how that goes.

My fantasy novel has a title, but I shan’t tell you yet. The second Epic Lay also has a title, but I won’t tell that either.

I’ve got numerous other ideas typically in the genres of sci-fi, mystery, and other fantasy.

Well, THAT was long. XD

How was that, L?

And yes. There is definitely room for another encourager! We need all the encouragement we can get! XD

@william-starkey

@selah-chelyah I missed another one! You know, that water fountain somewhere over there…

Selah CJW
                @selah-chelyah

@leon-fleming

*looks around in confusion*  Okay, if you say so!

@william-starkey

@selah-chelyah XD

OKAY FOLKS, BACK TO THE LANGUAGE. XD! *partly my fault*

Okay: so who’s ready to begin work on the letters? Everyone can give it a try if they like, or just certain people. Any person of the Royal Linguists and their Official Encouragers can give it a go if they’d like.

@selah-chelyah
                    @shannoncv @erinramm @kathleenramm @not-so-secret-secret-assassin @jenwriter17 @devastate-lasting

I think I got everyone. Did I miss anybody? Sorry if I did; I’ve got a lot going on in the old brain right now.

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 40

@leon-fleming sorry to bail but at the moment I cannot work on the letters…on another motor home trip playing with my band 🙂 *innocent grin*

LRC
                      @lrc

@leon-fleming Ahhhh, so you’re an ambitious fellow! Welcome to the club, lol! My series turned into a Saga long ago, so I know what that’s like.

Also, pardon me, but demanding chocolate goes too far. I eat it sparingly but it must be hoarded for those special times. Especially the white chocolate. So I guess we’ll have to agree to…remain at odds? Lol 😀

@william-starkey

@shannoncv Hey, that’s okay! Any time you’re ready; we’ll try to get the set letters done while you’re gone. What kinda music do you play?

@lrc
                          Yes! I guess. In a few large ways, you might say. I am sorta ambitious. I just gotta work on translating that to actual work! XD *nods head three times…and a fourth* My grateful condolences; I understand the feeling.

Oh, that’s just too bad. I guess we’ll have to forget about the time machine that I may or may not have.

Kathleen
                          @kathleenramm
                            • Total Posts: 635

@leon-fleming

What are all the sounds that are going to be in this language? So that we know how many letters to make.

LRC
                            @lrc

@leon-fleming

*is flustered and frustrated but still hoards the chocolate* *makes face*

Alright I am leaving this topic until Encouraging is needed. Tis my job after all.

*salutes medievaly and leaves*

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 40

@leon-Fleming ok good, y’all get some work done while I’m gone! We play bluegrass, my younger siblings and I. Here’s a link if you are curious…I’m the one in the blue dress, my little sister Molly is in pink, Emily is in the flower dress and Daniel is the boy. https://youtu.be/k0Bm390p-uM

@william-starkey

@kathleenramm Now, THAT is a very good question. I think it would be wise to stray away from separating the letters into two separate groups of vowels and consonants. Because, believe it or not, W, R, and Y are synonymous with the vowels of English. Both A, E, I, O, and U are spoken without the tip of the tongue and most of the tongue isn’t touching hardly anything of the mouth. The same goes for W and Y. The only place where this idea is breached is when the W says its name. We may indeed not have a W at all; the letter originated over time from literally two Us. Thus: “double u”. Another observation of all these letters is that they all form smooth sounds. In opposition to letters such as K and G which are the voiced and voiceless forms of the sound made at the back of the throat when sharply letting air out. These two letters are sharp and short. Now, there are sounds apart from these that are smooth as well, but they use some way of touching the tip of the tongue to some part of the mouth.

NOTE: The main distinction of these sounds is that they are smooth, they are all voiced, and all use hardly any parts of the mouth.

A very interesting sound to make mention of is Q. It does not use the tip of the tongue like the above mentioned letters, but it is first sharp, then smooth. This makes it sort of paradoxical.

I think that we should have all these letters proposed above (besides Q) in a separate category from the other letters. Simply as a matter of distinction and order. (See later for H.)

First of all on these: any thoughts?

Now for the other letters besides these ones. That leaves us with B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, V, X, and Z.

In order to properly separate these sounds we must show their relation to each other, if any at all. I’ll begin at the beginning of the list.

First of all B is related to P and M. The way these are related is that each uses the lips in some way. For B and P, there is a sharp either voiced or voiceless note at each ejection. For M, the lips are together, and all that is ejected is a soft rumbling. More knowledgeable people than me can explain the details of these sound ejections.

Secondly, there is C, K, Q, X, and G. Since C and K are the same sound we’ll just use K for now. K, X, and Q are voiceless variations of the voiced G. Though Q is only this in part.

Next are D and T. Voiced and voiceless variations.

Next are F and V. Same here with the above.

Then we have H which may be classified with A, E, I, O, U, W, R, and Y because it is soft and uses no part of the mouth. The only difference between these two classes is that the H is voiceless and all the others are voiced.

Now, H is also related to M; the only differences being that for H, the mouth is open, and for M, the mouth is closed. Then the H is voiceless and the M is voiced. But we will not rank H with M, B, and P because of the use of the lips with the latter three. We will most likely rank H with the seven others above (A, E, I, O, U, W, R, and Y), though it will stand partially distinct from them for its non-voiced characteristic. We could talk about a voiceless form of M and a voiced form of H, but the voiced H sounds much too much like H and U put together; this isn’t altogether terrible, but it is a noteworthy distinction. The M is debatable, though it sounds as if whoever is saying it is either brewing with anger or is sighing with their mouth closed, sooo…we’ll figure that out later. 🙂

Next is J which stands mostly by itself except for the fact that it is voiced and it is pronounced with the tip of the tongue towards the front of the roof of the mouth. And it is sharp. Its voiceless form sounds like it might work, though we may have trouble telling it from its voiced counterpart.

Now we have L and N. They are related because firstly, they are both voiced, and secondly, N is spoken with the tongue totally covering part of the roof of the mouth, and L is spoken with the sides of the tongue away from the sides of the upper teeth and the tip of the tongue at the front of the mouth. If the sides of the tongue were to be touching the sides of the upper teeth, you would be making the N sound. These are both smooth letters.

Finally we have S and Z. I don’t particularly like Z, but that doesn’t matter. These are voiced and voiceless variations.

OKAY.

Now that we know how these letters are related directly (there are inter-relations too, but we probably won’t get into those), we can choose which ones we want to have and which ones we don’t. I would vote for all of the above, but who knows. Any thoughts?

This has been written mainly to show the distinctions of the sounds and to help us know how to begin with drawing out our chart of letters.

These all are single sounds (besides Q), and are the main and most basic sounds. There are more, but for now, we’ll start with what we know.

Now we must go on to things like diphthongs and digraphs. Diphthongs will most likely act a different part depending on where they are in a word. Digraphs will most likely be vital and very important to the structure of our letters.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 120 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >