A Language for Kingdom Pen

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions A Language for Kingdom Pen

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
    @william-starkey
      • Total Posts: 634

@selah-chelyah XD Thanks! Oh, the knighting. That comes from my lineage from a different realm. There, I’m something like a long and far-off duke, so I won’t be inheriting the throne anytime soon. That is, the Danish throne.

Well (XD), I would assume that actual admins would presumptive the mountain and swim through the moat, toward the giant lava cake at the end of the brick wall. Does that clear things up?

Okay, cool! *listening with you*

@william-starkey

Wow, what atrocious mistakes I’ve done! I have at least two mistakes in that long post. I apologize most sincerely to the lot of you.

@william-starkey

@reaganramm Any thoughts, Mr sir?

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 40

@leon-fleming I’m in. You have fulfilled my request. Linguen (pronounced penguin) for life!

*I also know NOTHING about languages jsyk, literally did Latin for 4 months and nothing else so yeah this should be great*

Your ground-breaking ideas that you kept us so long anticipating are excellent. As a trusty knight I automatically approve all of them.

I also think we should go with letters not pictographs because as you were saying, they *will* transfer much better into computer text. I might be able to help create a font for it also (I’ve never created a font before but I’ve always wanted to try) so we can type it into word/pages/google docs and then paste and match style into our browsers. I don’t know if that will work but maybe it’s an option? Again I have never tried this before so I have no possible idea whether or not it would work. But it sounds like it could…in my head lol.

@william-starkey

@shannoncv Okay, cool! You can watch and learn, as they say; and I pronounce you Official Font Maker…you can seriously DO THAT??!!!!! You can make. An actual font? Like something totally made up? If it works, that’ll be AMAZING!

Anonymous

@leon-fleming *nervous laugh* supposedly you can…I honestly am not sure. I’m willing to try though lol. Title accepted. It would be amazing.

@william-starkey

@shannoncv A.W.E.S.O.M.E! How are you going to go about doing it?

Selah CJW
                  @selah-chelyah
                    • Total Posts: 245

@leon-fleming

Oh brother. Yeah, right, like a duke from Spain could knight Frenchman? Hah! XD I forgive thine grave errors regardless, however.

@shannoncv

Oo, that’d be so cool! What an awesome idea.

Prendre garde ~ I bleed ink

@william-starkey

@selah-chelyah Pardon me, mi’lady, but you are mistaken, I’m sure. I also have an uncle who knows things. And my pet dragon more than classifies me to knight people. I was also classified because I’m more experienced in the art of language making than those that I knighted. (Not boasting at all; can’t stand that: just being a literary person.) I was just wondering…this Kingdom doesn’t happen to be located in France by any chance, right? Oh, and I’m sorry.

Jenna Terese
                      @jenwriter17
                        • Total Posts: 2522

*non linguist stands in confusion and awe of the genius*

So uh…this is all going over my head but I’ll still be the Royal Encourager. XD 😛

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                        www.jennaterese.com

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting
                          • Total Posts: 1700

@leon-fleming My brain is about as fried as scrambled eggs right now, so I’ll stand by and add in any comments if I see the need.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                          Would you mind letting me know
                          If hours don't turn into days

Anonymous

@leon-fleming Well I’ve seen before a way you can print out a form, handwrite in your font then scan it in. It automatically transfers the letters to the keys you designate for each of them. The biggest barrier in my mind is whether or not it will transfer into text on here. But if I actually get a font figured out then maybe Reagan can set it up on the site so we can write in it right into the forum.

Reagan Ramm
                            @reaganramm
                              • Total Posts: 110

I absolutely love this idea!

My Music:
                              AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
                              OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

Not-So-Secret Secret Assassin
                              @not-so-secret-secret-assassin
                                • Total Posts: 133

So I’m a Royal Linguist now!

What does that mean??

I have no idea what I signed up for…

Flawless and handsome (as ruled by my grandmother.)

Erin G
                                @erinramm
                                  • Total Posts: 24

@not-so-secret-secret-assassin @selah-chelyah @devastate-lasting @leon-fleming @shannoncv @kathleenramm @jenwriter17

In response to Leon Fleming’s Ground-breaking Ideas:

(Leon Fleming’s ideas are paraphrased)

What we won’t do: 

1. We won’t be compile a list of random fake words 

1000 % agree!

2. We won’t start by beginning work on phrases such as “Hello” and “Goodbye

YES.

What we will do:

1. Start with writing systems (letters? pictographs? etc)

Sounds good!

So it sounds like letters would be the best way to go. Pictographs and the like can get very complicated.

2. It would be beneficial to use the IPA system

True. %1000 agree again.

What we need to do if we go for the letters, we will need to figure out what sounds we will use and how we will use them….

Right. That is a great first step.

What kind of sounds will we have in the language?

What language do we want the language of Pen to sound like? Like a Romance language? Germanic? Something else?

Once we figure that out, then we can look up the phonology charts for our chosen language, and find the IPA sounds to work with.

This is really exciting!

Oh, and one more question, what will our language be called? 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Erin G.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 120 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >