A Language for Kingdom Pen

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions A Language for Kingdom Pen

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah
      • Total Posts: 245

@leon-fleming

Oh brother. XD It’s actually a hard-back, rather uncomfortable chair. But I wrote almost three pages, so it doesn’t matter. I’m happy!

Good luck on the map. XD I feel like someone on here in the past did this before…

Prendre garde ~ I bleed ink

Selah CJW
      @selah-chelyah

@sam-kowal Isn’t there quite a bit of old lore and maybe maps for KP? XD

Linyang Zhang
        @devastate-lasting
          • Total Posts: 1700

@leon-fleming I guess I’ll just, uh, sit back and wait XD

Lately, it's been on my brain
          Would you mind letting me know
          If hours don't turn into days

Not-So-Secret Secret Assassin
          @not-so-secret-secret-assassin
            • Total Posts: 133

@leon-fleming

This sounds awesome!

Can I be a Royal Linguist of Pen?

In my opinion, I have really good opinions.

Flawless and handsome (as ruled by my grandmother.)

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 40

I would join the ranks as a Linguen but only if we can pronounce it similarly to penguin not like Lincoln.

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 40

*pumps fists* I AM ALSO NOW NO LONGER A BUMBLING HENCHMAN

(for someone who used to be a knight that ^ was a very sad and detrimental title to have to carry)

Erin G
                @erinramm
                  • Total Posts: 24

@selah-chelyah @leon-fleming

I’ve arrived! I heard sirens, what’s wrong?

Wait, what? A language for Kingdom Pen??? That would be EPIC!

Oh yes, having an entirely new set of characters would definitely be required. It would be a shame not to have a new writing system for the language of Pen.

Oooh, ground-breaking ideas? *stirs cocoa in anticipation*

How many Royal Linguists does that make now?

@kathleenramm
                  Strings? Since when did you have these… strings? How come I don’t have any?

Selah CJW
                  @selah-chelyah

@leon-fleming

Lol. I think your idea has takers, eh?

Hallo! Nice title, btw. Seeing as we all rather know what you are… XD

@devastate-lasting

XD I understand the feeling… even if the chairs are hard.

@shannonvc

Man, no doubt. *fistbump* Very nice! And much more of this, you’ll be a knight before you can blink twice. XD

@erinramm

XD Yes, she has arrived! I think we have…um, 5 or 6 R.L.’s thus far, I think? @kathleenramm  Strings, eh? I mean, you said you did…

Linyang Zhang
                    @devastate-lasting

@selah-chelyah Hard chairs are better than no chairs XD Also,  I have this bag of marshmallows to keep me company. *tears open plastic in the most awful manner*

Selah CJW
                      @selah-chelyah

@devastate-lasting

Lol! Marshmallows… *wrinkles nose* Fluffs of nothing, in my opinion. Unless, of course, roasted with enough chocolate to sandwich them. *covers ears at awful sound*

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Selah CJW.

Selah CJW
                        @selah-chelyah

@shannoncv

I meant to tag you above but typed it wrong, sorry. XD I keep typing it VC, as in Victoria Cross, you know? Lol.

Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting

@selah-chelyah Haha, nothing but sugar.

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
                            @william-starkey
                              • Total Posts: 634

Well, I guess it did take till tomorrow. Oh, well. (@devastate-lasting XD)

@selah-chelyah
                              Oh, you’re probably at the old KP park; the new one’s somewhere north of the equator.

Thanks! Kneel, please. *you kneel* *places sword upon your shoulder* I knight you Royal Linguist Assassin-Dude! (Or dudette?)

@shannoncv Okay; we can pronounce it like that. Kneel please. *you kneel at this point* *now I’ll place the sword on your shoulder* *whoops, you dropped your cross pen* *okay* I knight you Royal Linguist Shannon of Voeller!

@erinramm
                              Oh, don’t worry, those sirens are just figments of your imagination. I have no idea what they are, but they originated from the spiders of Mirkwood and Spider-man’s pet tarantula.

I’m glad you like this idea!! (And I totally hope that it works out…which it probably might.) XD

AGREED ON THE LETTERS! (And the ground-breaking ideas will soon be here, hopefully not tomorrow. [XD])

*passes marshmallows* Does anybody need any refills?

That makes six Royal Linguists (I think): Me, @kathleenramm @selah-chelyah @not-so-secret-secret-assassin @shannoncv @erinramm

Anyone else?

@selah-chelyah
                              XD I’ll say!

And for the record, marshmallows are high on my priority list, so don’t bash them too much. Plus, the store-bought ones are basically sugar, but wait until you’ve tasted an actual marshmallow made the right way. And I also love whipped cream (especially with strawberries!).

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
                              @william-starkey
                                • Total Posts: 634

@selah-chelyah @devastate-lasting @erinramm @shannoncv @kathleenramm @jenwriter17           @not-so-secret-secret-assassin (I think that’s all y’all.)

OKAY. So here are some of the basic ground-breaking ideas that I’ve kept for so long from everybody:

WHAT WE WON’T DO: For starters (for beginning this language) we won’t begin by compiling a list of random fake words that have no meaning. NOTE: that’s technically called a cipher or code. Though, in this case, it would not be for secrecy. *gollum* *green goblin laugh* That is, unless we wants it that way, precious! *gollum!*

The reason for which we shall not do this, is because it would make for a weak language, and would thus be less interesting than it could be.

Secondly: we won’t start by beginning work on phrases such as “Hello” and “goodbye”. And we won’t discuss AT ALL how we are to use this socially YET. We’ll figure that all out later.

I’m sure there are more of these things, but these two are definitely foundational push-off points that will greatly enhance this language of Pen.

WHAT WE WILL DO: We will start at the beginning: that is, we will start with mainly questions. Will we have letters? (Letters = figures that represent sounds) Or will we have characters, pictographs, glyphs, or hieroglyphs? (These are basically the same thing; figures that represent a certain one thing, and are pronounced a certain way: when put together, their bonded formulation makes for a different meaning than both of them separated makes.)

Secondly: Just for a side-note: It would be profitable if we half-translate this language into the IPA system (International Phonetic Alphabet). That is, into the letters are used for English, Spanish, French and other languages. That way, we can properly type out onto the forum and other places words or strings of letters in this language.

This brings to light another point: although the idea of characters/pitographs/etc, is a good one, it would be much easier to use letters because when translating it to the computer, it would be nigh on impossible to translate to the IPA system, pictographs/characters/glyphs. We would have to directly translate into English, which would totally defeat our point in making this language.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Doubtless the work will be sanctioned out to various persons of this magnificent gathering of the Royal Linguists of Kingdom Pen. And also the work on the language can and probably will switch around from person to person quite frequently. I think it would be better if we didn’t have a set schedule. You know, we could be more lax and let specialized persons work on certain things for a while, and other specialized persons work on other certain things. And we can even have two or more people working on one part of the language at the same time.

Which means (for example: for the letters or pictographs, whichever one we decide), we would have certain people working on that for a certain amount of time, and then, at the end of that time, they can share a picture here on what they did, and we can all discuss it.

I think that for the letters or whatever, we can all give it a try and make out (probably) thirty letters with each of us devising our own letters and at the end of a week or so, we’ll post them. That is, rather whenever we get our letters done, we can share a picture and discuss.

WHAT WE NEED TO DO IF WE GO FOR THE LETTERS: If we go for the letters directly, then we will need to figure out what sounds we will use and how we will use them. Then we can begin arranging them in a set table, which we will have someone working on.

I know there’s a lot more to this, but I have to go eat dinner. What does everyone think?

Selah CJW
                                @selah-chelyah

@leon-fleming

*clears throat* Ahem, are you assuming that I’m currently south of the equator, then? Presumptive soul!

I like all your ideas, bw. They sound awesome! Although I didn’t realize you had the authority to knight people…that assumes you’re higher rank. Though you didn’t knight me, so maybe that means you’re not higher than I am? But what about actual admins? Hopefully I have sufficiently confused  you there. XD

I like your ideas, though! I’d love to help out on any of it that’s so desired. *listens for other input*

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >