A Language for Kingdom Pen

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions A Language for Kingdom Pen

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
    @william-starkey
      • Total Posts: 634

Wow, that’s long. Did I answer your question at all, Kathleen? XD

@william-starkey

@lrc XD! Okay, maybe you and Jenna can put some of your encouraging skills to work; we’re diving in!

@shannoncv Okay! We might! Cool, bluegrass! Is that a recent video? (You might like Steven Curtis Chapman’s Where the Bluegrass Grows.)

Grace H.
        @gh24682468999
          • Total Posts: 199

@leon-fleming I’m thinking about becoming a speech therapist so wow your post was informative 🙂 To digress a little bit, what drew you into learning linguistics, and what sources did you learn from?

I don’t know what sounds I would vote for, but maybe we could exclude Z (since you mentioned you don’t like it) and maybe X because they are sounds that are rarer in English anyways, and would only hinder our pronunciations?

But then again, what do I know xD

*stands by as a Royal Encourager*

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
          literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

@william-starkey

@gh24682468999 Glad to be of service! Well, I’ve been on this writing idea to make my fantasy world like Tolkien did; first the languages, then the world for them. (That didn’t work, but both things are still going strong.) I also did a research paper once on Tolkien which wasn’t very long; about two pages. But I learned a lot about his life. Also; I was always super intrigued by his languages, and the professor-like way that he wrote about them in his Appendices for The Lord of the Rings was also quite influential. So I studied more into languages, linguistics, philology and other fields of study such as etymology. Not very in-depth, because I’m still getting a lot of my information from two sets of encyclopedias. And I’ve always been fascinated with technical terms, especially words with “graph” and “ology”. Back to the LotR appendices, I learned something of letters and alphabets there, and I taught myself the rest for the most part. I even made up a bunch of different sounds which I use for my languages; I thought that some of the ideas I’ve come up with were totally knew things, as well, but after briefly studying Gaelic, Welsh, Latin, some Arabic, some Asian languages, and others, I realized that a lot of the things that I thought were my own inventions were real things. Some, though, I haven’t found anywhere else. (Not necessarily the sounds I’ve contrived, but other things as well.)

Then I found Phonetics and Phonology and the like. I’ve been getting deeper into a lot of these topics and have begun developing my own opinions and ideas for a while now.

If you’re serious about the speech therapist then you should really look into Phonetics.

@william-starkey

I would agree on the Z; and the X also, though not for the reason that English doesn’t use them much, or that they would hinder our pronunciations.

Z is one single sound, but I don’t like it.

X is technically two sounds together: K and S, so in that way it’s like Q.

Hey! Now we’ve got three!

Katherine-h
              @katherine-h
                • Total Posts: 7

Hey guys! I’m interested in helping with this! I love learning languages, and I’m currently majoring in Linguistics.

I’ve studied IPA; here’s a chart which may be helpful. https://images.app.goo.gl/cYEn7cA4ZsX3bKVK7 While it is kind of overwhelming, it helps show which sounds are related and identify different sounds.

Another random thought is that most languages begin with grammar and vocabulary. Some modern languages have never been written down and others (like Russian) had their writing system written fairly recently. Because of this, it might be easier to first determine our grammar and vocab before working on the sounds (phonology) or the writing system (orthography)?

I can’t wait to see where this goes!

Grace H.
                @gh24682468999
                  • Total Posts: 199

@leon-fleming Yeah, after seeing a little bit about your WIPs I figured it was related to Tolkien somewhat. That’s amazing how you discovered a lot of existing things on your own!

Yeah, and people even recommend that speech therapists even study linguistics alongside to help inform the work that they do.

@katherine-h
                  Wow, that’s great! Welcome to the Kingdom 🙂

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
                  literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

@william-starkey

@kathrine-h Hullo! And welcome to the what’sitcalled of the Royal Linguists; lucky you. That has got to be a very interesting class. Are you in college or otherwise?

Very interesting chart, there.

In answer to your random thought, I’d agree with you. Going also from a linguist’s standpoint most languages do begin with grammar and vocabulary. But since we’re inventing our own, and since you can’t have a vocabulary of an invented tongue without first having sounds to make up those words (if indeed we do end up having words at all), I think it would be quite profitable to begin with the letters and their sounds. In fact, it would make many things a lot easier; it would set a foundation for the rest of the language, for a language is comprised generally of sounds.

Again, we aren’t coming at it from the perspective of the exploring linguist; that is, we aren’t compiling a grammar of an already-known language. This is pure invention of the imagination.

So we must first compile the letters and sounds, then afterwards we can decide which form those letters will take in their proper form of communication, which enlists that we make a serious attempt at sketching out a proper system of morphology for the language. And also grammar and the question of vocabulary comes into play later. For though we may not need a distinguished “vocabulary”, we may want something close to that, such as an etymology or a lexicon. Though we probably won’t be studying  this language’s word origins (since this isn’t a language with a fictional or real history), we may in the future attempt something with etymology according to what we have done with the language over time.

But ANYWAYS.

Same here!

@gh24682468999
                    XD Yeah, just a little bit! Hey, I love learning stuff like this, you know? It’s just really interesting to me, for some reason. I could read encyclopedias on this stuff for years…and I have this weird thing with dictionaries. My family jokes about me reading the dictionary.

Yeah, that would definitely help, too!

Katherine-h
                    @katherine-h
                      • Total Posts: 7

@leon-fleming Ah, I see your point. There’s just a lot of sounds we could choose from! The chart I linked to shows many non-English sounds, which might also have to be considered?

We might start a Google doc (or some similar way to compile sounds) with sounds we have decided on, so that we can keep track throughout this thread.

Yes, I’m in college, taking my B.A. in Linguistics. I got to take a seven week class on phonology, which was one of the hardest (and best) classes ever. It definitely helps with ways to classify sounds and ways to think about language.

@william-starkey

@katherine-h True! While describing something of the English alphabet up there, I forgot to mention TH, NG, SH, and some others. Just a note.

Yes, I think that chart could definitely be quite helpful! And that Google doc idea sounds great, though I’m not sure whether all the Royal Linguists have Google docs available.

@selah-chelyah
                        @shannoncv @kathleenramm @erinramm @not-so-secret-secret-assassin @jenwriter17 @devastate-lasting @lrc @everyone else (I’m not sure, but @dragon-snapper)

Okay, folks; we got a professional.

@william-starkey

We could even put together a google classroom.

Linyang Zhang
                          @devastate-lasting
                            • Total Posts: 1700

@leon-fleming Yea, I have h Google Docs.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                            Would you mind letting me know
                            If hours don't turn into days

Selah CJW
                            @selah-chelyah
                              • Total Posts: 245

@katherine-h

Wow, that’s amazing! Welcome to the discussion, btw. And thanks for joining. 🙂

@leon-fleming

Coolness. And you know I have access to Google Docs. XD

Prendre garde ~ I bleed ink

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 40

@leon-fleming Yes I have heard that song. It’s a lot of fun. Yeah the video is recent…it was taken last weekend.

(and yeah I have google docs)

@katherine-h
                                thank you for volunteering your professional services 😀

@william-starkey

@devastate-lasting Okay, great!

@selah-chelyah
                                  XD Yep.

@shannoncv True; Nice! Okay, cool.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >