@whalekeeper
Active 2 days, 6 hours ago- Rank: Chosen One
- Total Posts: 6041
-
Keilah H. replied to the topic Help, I Don't Understand Keepers of the Lost Cities in the forum Fantasy 3 years, 9 months ago
@whalekeeper Honestly, I see that. I get all of those. Honestly, I had more of a problem with the person who complained about the Wingfeather Saga, because 1) that was a Christian series with a message, 2) that author was inexperienced and got better over time, and 3) he called it complete trash, and I personally only reserve that title for…[Read more]
-
Erica replied to the topic The Keeper of the Lost Cities in the forum Book Discussions 3 years, 9 months ago
@whalekeeper @others
I agree that the ‘breaking the rules’ trope is typical for the magical schools. I think it depends on the context. Honestly, I think it’s perfectly fine to read books with that stuff in it, unless you’re easily influenced by the characters’ actions. I don’t think it’s the best trope ever, and there are definitely better ways t…
-
Felicity replied to the topic Writing Romantic Subplots! in the forum Characters 3 years, 9 months ago
Speaking of romance, have you watched the Princess Bride?
There’s a line in there that goes like this:
“You mock my pain”
“Life IS pain.”
Well, here’s my play on that line:
Me: You mock my research
You: Life IS research.
😂😂😂
Wow, that dream sounds EPIC!
I always love dreams like that.
-
Folith-Feolin replied to the topic The Keeper of the Lost Cities in the forum Book Discussions 3 years, 9 months ago
The stormlight archive
Genre high fantasy* (see the astride below for my rating guid)
so the Stormlight Archive is Brandon Sandersons Magnum Opus. (Sanderson is a popular fantasy author who popped up in the news a lot in 2022 when he raised 15.4 million on Kickstarter (a crowd funding site) in order to release 4 extra books he…[Read more]
-
Felicity replied to the topic The Keeper of the Lost Cities in the forum Book Discussions 3 years, 9 months ago
Hmmm…very interesting topic going on here. I think I’ll jump in if I may. I’ve never read KOTLC or Harry Potter, but I have read LoTR.
And yes, I’m one of those people who tells everybody not to read/watch Harry Potter because of witchcraft, without having a solid argument behind my reasoning. (bad, bad thing. Why…[Read more]
-
Folith-Feolin replied to the topic The Keeper of the Lost Cities in the forum Book Discussions 3 years, 9 months ago
I agree that I don’t understand the not reading Harry Potter thing especially with Marvel which in Wanda Vision there is a literal Salem Witch and the Necronomicon (look this up but be cautioned it pertains to Lovecraft Horror) Also the magic words are literally just Latin words but with some letter changed. In addition in Harry Pot…[Read more]
-
Elizabeth replied to the topic Okay, I need a MaIn ChArAcTeR name in the forum Characters 3 years, 9 months ago
@whalekeeper *joins your moment of silence* *resists urge to hum My Heart Will Go On* Lol, that’s such a mood 😂 Hopefully the fondness is winning out?? It does sound like a pretty epic story, ngl—especially if you have that nostalgia for it.
Heh, yes and no. I worked on it pretty much exclusively for like, seven years?? (Wow, that…made me feel…[Read more]
-
Arien started the topic Why did you start writing? Why are you still writing? in the forum Mission, Calling & Ethics 3 years, 9 months ago
For me, I can’t even remember why I started writing. I was bored, I guess, and I asked Mom for a piece of paper and started writing a rip-off of a Boxcar Children book. I got a few chapters in, then abandoned it. I was maybe 8 at the time. And I wrote some stories about my stuffed animals. Later I tried to write a novel about a cowgirl. *hides in…[Read more]
-
GodlyFantasy12 replied to the topic Help, I Don't Understand Keepers of the Lost Cities in the forum Fantasy 3 years, 9 months ago
@folith-feolin @whalekeeper yea I get it, still my fav series tho! Lol!
-
Arien replied to the topic Help, I Don't Understand Keepers of the Lost Cities in the forum Fantasy 3 years, 9 months ago
Yeah. It’s just that Messenger’s elves can’t even compare to Tolkien’s, and she implied that Tolkien did the imitating. Not that she meant it, obviously, but I don’t know. It bothered me.
Me too! Tolkien’s Elves are so much more . . . Elvish. They don’t act like people with neat powers, just like Elves. Personally, I don’t see how T…[Read more]
-
GodlyFantasy12 replied to the topic Help, I Don't Understand Keepers of the Lost Cities in the forum Fantasy 3 years, 9 months ago
@whalekeeper also as for her mentioning Tolkien in her works pretty sure she did that out of a love for him and wanting to mention him in their, just like she did with Batman XD XD
-
Arien replied to the topic Help, I Don't Understand Keepers of the Lost Cities in the forum Fantasy 3 years, 9 months ago
I agree with @folith-feolin about how similar it sounds to Harry Potter. And the Elves are very similar to Tolkien’s. At least in the first book Messenger hints that it was on purpose, saying something like Tolkien had been allowed to visit or something and he used what he learned to write LOTR.
-
Folith-Feolin replied to the topic Help, I Don't Understand Keepers of the Lost Cities in the forum Fantasy 3 years, 9 months ago
I can agree. It does steal concepts from a lot of other stories. Also most of the school stuff is taken from Harry Potter.
-
Arien replied to the topic Writing Romantic Subplots! in the forum Characters 3 years, 9 months ago
Until @whalekeeper asked her question, I was going to say, “No, actually, we’d much rather rave about our crushes . . . never mind this is a writing website not a romance one . . .” LOL
Or maybe:
And the best part is, we can analyse these boy’s actions and romantic gestures, recording them ever faithfully to use for literary pur…
-
Light started the topic My New WIP Chapter 1!! in the forum Novel Critique Requests 3 years, 9 months ago
Okay, so this is my new WIP with Asher and Iris. I’ve written 1000 words!! Lol, I know that’s not that much, but for me, it is. Please tell me what you think about it. Thank you!!
@freedomwriter76 @godlyfantasy12 @starofthenorth @keilah-h @esther-c @felicity @orielle21 @whalekeeper @theloonyone @loopylin @wilder-w @mineralizedwritings @koshka @eli…[Read more]
-
Koshka replied to the topic Okay, I need a MaIn ChArAcTeR name in the forum Characters 3 years, 9 months ago
Ah, I see. I’m not sure though, maybe they do. I haven’t come across an explanation yet, but I did see it done, just the last letter in a name.
I may need to come back to this after some study.
-
Light replied to the topic Writing Romantic Subplots! in the forum Characters 3 years, 9 months ago
And the best part is, we can analyse these boy’s actions and romantic gestures, recording them ever faithfully to use for literary purposes…
Because we’re writers…
No other reason…
XDXD Yep!! No other reason…none at all….XD
-
GodlyFantasy12 replied to the topic Holiday Novella! in the forum General Writing Discussions 3 years, 9 months ago
@whalekeeper @koshka @elishavet-pidyon @lightoverdarkness6 @esther-c @starofthenorth @arien @mineralizedwritings @theloonyone @loopylin @sarafini gasp I never added @felicity to this!!
So, if I do this it’ll obviously still be being written after Christmas is over 😂
I gotta figure out how to start it and everything, so if y’all wouldn’t mind…[Read more]
-
MineralizedWritings started the topic Title for a type of work in my WIP? in the forum Fantasy 3 years, 9 months ago
@godlyfantasy12 @theloonyone @loopylin @esther-c @keilah-h @whalekeeper @koshka @arien @starofthenorth @lightoverdarkness6 @anyone! @folith-feolin
Hullo,
I have problem. My oc layson at some point in the story has this job. Idk what to call it, but it has a name. It’s a bit dangerous, it’s basically free-lance work to help bunkers that are…[Read more]
-
Light replied to the topic Writing Romantic Subplots! in the forum Characters 3 years, 9 months ago
@godlyfantasy12 @mineralizedwritings @starofthenorth @arien @koshka @whalekeeper
I’ve been loving reading these…XDXD
Good job, @felicity, getting everyone back on track!! One day maybe one of us will make a website for…well, what we were talking about here XD.
And….It’s probably gonna be me XDJK. Or not. XD - Load More
