Title for a type of work in my WIP?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Title for a type of work in my WIP?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MineralizedWritings
    @mineralizedwritings
      • Total Posts: 2794

@godlyfantasy12 @theloonyone @loopylin @esther-c @keilah-h @whalekeeper @koshka @arien @starofthenorth @lightoverdarkness6 @anyone! @folith-feolin

Hullo,

I have problem. My oc layson at some point in the story has this job. Idk what to call it, but it has a name. It’s a bit dangerous, it’s basically free-lance work to help bunkers that are trapped. It’s dangerous because the people who trapped them might go after you. So he spends a lot of time traveling. The local traveling mailman sets him up with bunkers willing to pay for rescue, and is the mediator. There are other people who do this job, though not many. After awhile, you build experience and with it, respect. The number of bunkers you have helped in your life determines your experience and therefore respect. When you rescue people, they host you in somebodies house for about a week or more to rest, and pay you the agreed amount.

After talking to yall about book titles, I realized I need to find a title for this position. If I chose to go with a series in which every book starts with “Afterthoughts of…” It could be “Afterthoughts of a —–” insert name for this job. People who read book one would know it had to be about Layon. Not sure, but either way I would like some help with a name! Most of the people of this position have a political side they support, but Layson is neutral. Although this may seem good, it means either side feels rightful in targeting him. Most of them look kinda gruff, because they have a traveling life. You’re kinda on your own, it’s not for people who don’t want a life of adventure and not much rest.

I need a name where people could say, “Oh, Layson became a —–”

Thanks for any thoughts!

へびは かっこいい です!

Keilah H.
      @keilah-h
        • Total Posts: 3875

@mineralizedwritings First question, what does bunkers mean? Then I can probably get a general idea of what he does.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Keilah H..

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

MineralizedWritings
        @mineralizedwritings

@keilah-h

Oh! Sorry I should have explained. In my story, most people live underground in mostly self sufficient communities. It’s not longer necessary, but they fear another war starting if they see people from the other side (there was a civil war like 300 years ago). Being mostly self sufficient, they still need supplies. So sometimes people who don’t like there side (just left over old tension) will barricade the trapdoor that they resieve supplies from. The supply workers won’t mess with the barricade because they don’t want to become involved. A bunker can survive about 7 years barricaded. Thanks for any thoughts!

へびは かっこいい です!

Felicity
          @felicity
            • Total Posts: 811

@mineralizedwritings

Hmmm…maybe Releaser?

I looked up opposites of “trap”.

I don’t know if that would sound right though. Afterthoughts of a Releaser.

“Layson became a Releaser.”

Do you want it to be a real word, or a totally made up one? Because if you combine the words bunker and release/liberated/freed, you might get some ideas.

He must increase, but I must decrease.

MineralizedWritings
            @mineralizedwritings

@felicity

Oh thanks! I like that, I’ll have to let the ideas stew in my brain 🍲

(I hope that wasn’t a ramen emoji. It’s supposed to be stew)

へびは かっこいい です!

Felicity
              @felicity

@mineralizedwritings

Ok! Sounds good!

maybe it’s ramen stew. 😂

Arien
                @arien
                  • Total Posts: 193

@mineralizedwritings

How about Liberator? I just looked up synonyms of release (thanks @felicity )

Afterthoughts of a Liberator. I don’t know if that’s what you’re going for. It sounds a little like something in The City of Ember. XD

Be brave. Be strong. Be bold.
                  -Christopher Blakewell

MineralizedWritings
                  @mineralizedwritings

@arien

Thanks! I’ll keep it in mind! I think I need to develop the history of people who have done this before Layson, and maybe I’ll use one of there names in combination with the stuff here.

へびは かっこいい です!

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h
                      • Total Posts: 3875

@arien has a really great idea.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Felicity
                      @felicity

@arien

Ooo I like that idea!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >