Help, I Don’t Understand Keepers of the Lost Cities

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Help, I Don’t Understand Keepers of the Lost Cities

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Whaley
    @whalekeeper
      • Total Posts: 2588

Okay, I saw the Wingfeather strand and thought I’d make my own XD I’ve never understood why KotLC was so popular with people. I feel like Messenger just cut and pasted the elf concept from LotR – vegetarianism and all. Please, fight me. Also beware, I love fighting back.

@godlyfantasy12
      and I think @keilah-h are fans, right?

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Folith-Feolin
      @folith-feolin
        • Total Posts: 310

@whalekeeper

I can agree. It does steal concepts from a lot of other stories. Also most of the school stuff is taken from Harry Potter.

Arien
        @arien
          • Total Posts: 193

@whalekeeper

I agree with @folith-feolin about how similar it sounds to Harry Potter. And the Elves are very similar to Tolkien’s. At least in the first book Messenger hints that it was on purpose, saying something like Tolkien had been allowed to visit or something and he used what he learned to write LOTR.

Be brave. Be strong. Be bold.
          -Christopher Blakewell

Whaley
          @whalekeeper

@folith-feolin

Thanks for agreeing with me, and yes, I forgot the Harry Potter parallels, but it’s true. The flaver-coded lockers and the candy with the collectible pins really got on my nerves. Not because it wasn’t interesting, it was just that I’ve seen it before in Hogwarts.

@arien

Yeah. It’s just that Messenger’s elves can’t even compare to Tolkien’s, and she implied that Tolkien did the imitating. Not that she meant it, obviously, but I don’t know. It bothered me.

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12
              • Total Posts: 6645

@whalekeepe @folith-feolin

Wellll….

I don’t read Harry Potter due to the witchcraft.

I also haven’t read Lord of the rings (I started the Hobbit buuuut yea I never finished it XD)

as for elves being “copy and pasted” sometimes there’s only so much you can do with them. And I guess I don’t understand that considering….they have powers…

And unless I’m mistaken the LOTR Elves do not have different powers, or talentless, or a these crazy prejudices because of it, but maybe idk cuz I haven’t read it XD.

But…I’m also crazy biased because I’m majorly head over heels in love with one of the characters soooooooo yea.

I will fight because I am in love and love rules all 🤣

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

GodlyFantasy12
              @godlyfantasy12

@whalekeeper also as for her mentioning Tolkien in her works pretty sure she did that out of a love for him and wanting to mention him in their, just like she did with Batman XD XD

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                #ProtectMarcel
                #ProtectSeb

Arien
                @arien
                  • Total Posts: 193

@whalekeeper

Yeah. It’s just that Messenger’s elves can’t even compare to Tolkien’s, and she implied that Tolkien did the imitating. Not that she meant it, obviously, but I don’t know. It bothered me.

Me too! Tolkien’s Elves are so much more . . . Elvish. They don’t act like people with neat powers, just like Elves. Personally, I don’t see how Tolkien could have seen Messenger’s elves and then created his totally different ones.

Be brave. Be strong. Be bold.
                  -Christopher Blakewell

Folith-Feolin
                  @folith-feolin
                    • Total Posts: 310

@godlyfantasy12

the thing is when you think about it most of the elf powers are not that original and the magic system is not complicated. Also the elves in Tolkien do have biases just in different ways.

GodlyFantasy12
                    @godlyfantasy12

@folith-feolin @whalekeeper yea I get it, still my fav series tho! Lol!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                      #ProtectMarcel
                      #ProtectSeb

Whaley
                      @whalekeeper

@godlyfantasy12

Okay yeah, it makes sense you haven’t noticed those things because you haven’t read HP or LotR. That’s understandable.

I’m not sure how the LotR elves’ abilities are categorized – they have strong connections with ancient peoples and powers, speak pretty much all languages, and…well, from being immortal, are probably untouchable, since they’re so wise. Oh, and just really good with them bows and arrows.

Here are some of the similarities I’ve seen between the LotR and KotLC elves:

1. Both are vegetarian

2. Both are immortal (which isn’t always the case with elves)

3. Both dress really similarly. Long robes, capes, and jewelry such as circlets, rings, bracelets (I think), etc.

4. Both look down on humans

5. This one’s interesting – both Galadriel (a royal elf lady) and Sophie have telepathy

6. Major elf characters in LotR, i.e., the cool ones, have eyes ranging from grayish to greenish blue. Not saying all of them do – I don’t know about Elrond, and I’m basing some of this on the movie adoptions while I’m still finishing the book series – but I digress.

7. Both seem to be uncommonly beautiful. Sophie can’t deny that she’s ‘Not Like Other Girls™’

8. Both talk really dramatically and seriously

Whaley
                        @whalekeeper

@godlyfantasy12

And yeah, I figured she was probably a big fan of his work. To be honest, I’m not hating on the author and all the work she’s done. She’s gotten published. I haven’t. That’s an enormous achievement, and if she’s done it she deserves a bit of slack. It’s just the content itself that I didn’t like.

You can totally love it! I mean, I’m a big fan of the Lego Ninjago TV series *shrugs* It’s a cheap show for seven-year-olds, but I still tear up whenever my favorite character dies. There ya go.

Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 692

I’ve heard opposite opinions on this issue. Some have said it’s not Christian and similar to Harry Potter which I’m not allowed to read (it doesn’t even look interesting so I’m fine with that) while others say it’s fine. I don’t even know what it’s about. What do you all think on this issue?

Keilah H.
                            @keilah-h
                              • Total Posts: 3875

@whalekeeper Honestly, I see that. I get all of those. Honestly, I had more of a problem with the person who complained about the Wingfeather Saga, because 1) that was a Christian series with a message, 2) that author was inexperienced and got better over time, thus it was sorta wrong to judge the first story so harshly, and 3) he called it complete trash, and I personally only reserve that title for inappropriate books. KOTLC is just entertainment for me–there’s no reason to flare up over a couple copied ideas. I get madder at people who say it’s basically a HP knockoff, because it’s not as magicky (that’s not a word but whatever).

@sarafini I’d take it with a grain of salt, but it’s not like Harry Potter. There’s no real…magic spells or anything. If it’s not interesting to you, though, I wouldn’t read it.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Whaley
                              @whalekeeper

@sarafini

If you’re not allowed to read Harry Potter, then KotLC is probably same deal. I personally don’t care for it myself, but some people on here like it, and their options are valid too 😊 Here’s a blurb I wrote real quick:

Sophie Foster, a shunned child genius, can’t seem to relate to anyone, not even her family. Not only is she super talented, she has a secret – whenever she focuses on someone, she can hear the whispers of their mind.

Confused, and yearning for kindred spirits, Sophie soon bumps into a boy named Fitz, who tells her the truth – she isn’t a human at all. She’s an elf. An elf with rare and powerful gifts.

Starting a new life can be difficult for anyone – but how much more is it for Sophie, who has to relearn everything she’s ever been taught? In new, dangerous, magical worlds, and with all kinds of elvish friends, Sophie will have to come to terms with herself – before it’s too late.

Keilah H.
                                @keilah-h
                                  • Total Posts: 3875

@whalekeeper Not exactly. My parents wouldn’t let me read harry potter but were fine with KOTLC.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >