Okay, I need a MaIn ChArAcTeR name

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Okay, I need a MaIn ChArAcTeR name

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Whaley
    @whalekeeper
      • Total Posts: 2632

Hey y’all! So, I’m fixing up my very first story idea, because my tween past self would love that ❤ The hero’s a young boy, thirteen to fourteen years old, with green eyes and white hair, mixed with these orange-gold feathers. His clothing color scheme is deep rose, purple and mustard (all the rich colors). Personality-wise, he is kind of reckless, but slow-speaking and prone to pride. He also has a soft spot for sparkly things.

He is the most powerful character by far. He has controlled gold-touch, and phoenix powers (NOT immortal – still ages, just comes back whenever mortally injured).

When I was younger, I called him Arthur – but that’s way too kingly and cliche for him now. I want something preferably made up, but Russian names have been intriguing me lately. In his world, most people have Arabian-based names, but I can make an acception for him because he’s literally another species of human.

Something simple. Not over two syllables, most likely. Names with the letters P, X, A, N are cool, and I often like names that end with A.

@mineralizedwritings
      @loopylin @koshka @esther-c @theloonyone @elishavet-pidyon @sarafini @anyoneelseiforgot

And @godlyfantasy12 I’m sorry, I’ve actually been using the name Pax as a placeholder 😅 Tell Paxton I like his name!

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

GodlyFantasy12
      @godlyfantasy12
        • Total Posts: 6645

@whalekeeper it’s no probllama!! *Tells ma baby you like his name. He immediately blushes and turns into a puddle of adorableness*

HMMM ok let’s see

Jax (can be short for Jaxon), Xander, Xavier (can call him Xavi), Knox, Alexei (I personally luv this name. It’s like the perfect mix of Russian sounding but also Greek-ish and Royal sounding 😂), Peyton, Gavin, Liam, Xion, Fenix, Phenix.

Hope these help some

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
        #ProtectMarcel
        #ProtectSeb

Koshka
        @koshka
          • Total Posts: 1424

@whalekeeper

So, most male Russian names that end in an ‘a’ are diminutive forms, so I’ll put the original name and it’s diminutive down.

Alyosha (Aleksey): Russian form of Alexis, meaning helper, defender.

Afonya (Afanasiy): Russian form of Athanasius, meaning Immortal.

Borya (Boris): Russian name meaning short, wolf, or snow leopard.

Kesha (Innokentiy): Russian, meaning Innocent.

Patya (Ipatiy): Russian form of the Greek name Hypatos, meaning highest, or supreme.

Nikita: Russian form of Greek name Niketas meaning Victor, winner.

Petya (Pyotr): Russian form of Peter.

I can get more if you would like.

First Grand Historian of Arreth and the Lesser Realms (aka Kitty)

MineralizedWritings
          @mineralizedwritings
            • Total Posts: 2803

@whalekeeper

Woah! He sounds so cool!!

Don’t have much in the way of names sorry lol.

(Can I draw him sometime? Like he just seems so much fun to draw? 😂)

へびは かっこいい です!

Esther
            @esther-c
              • Total Posts: 3213

@whalekeeper

Cool character!!

So… I’m not sure if this is an actual name, but it just randomly came to mind.

Xavien.

Oops. Three syllables. 😅

I don’t have any other ideas now, but if I do, I’ll be sure to tell ya!!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Whaley
              @whalekeeper

@godlyfantasy12

*Pats Paxton’s head, further blushifying him*

…Xavi’s cool… Oh, Knox is my dog’s name 😂 It could work, though. And Liam is nice and simple. It’s softer and lighter, but still firm.

@koshka

Oh wow, I thought you’d know about Russian names. Do they change depending on the context, like Latin names?

I like Borya. That’s beautiful.

@mineralizedwritings

Aw, thanks ❤ He’s kinda overpowered because that’s what he was when I was a tween, but I like him that way 😊 He’s the only character I have that’s overflowing with unique fantasy powers.

(Totally that’s fine! You’re really good at drawing! I should probably post my own drawing of him here 😋)

@esther-c

Xavien is cool. Actually, it sounds a lot like Quentin, the hero’s distant cousin. I mean, if names run in the family…

Elizabeth
                @lewilliams
                  • Total Posts: 252

@whalekeeper I don’t really have any suggestions (naming characters is SO HARD oh my) but I just wanted to say that your character sounds so cool!! Phoenix powers sound so unique and generally just awesome. Also, props to you for revamping an old story!! *fistbump of solidarity as I recall the story that I started as a wee 13-year-old and has been revamped more times than I can count*

@koshka
                  Wow…I’m literally so intrigued by Russian naming conventions now. O.O Also impressed. Would you mind explaining what a diminutive form of a name is?? I’m so curious.

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Koshka
                  @koshka

@whalekeeper

Disclaimer: I’m definitely still a student of Russian anything, and names are one of those things that are described as ‘very difficult for RSL’. Please take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

What exactly do you mean by context? Female or male? Tense in a sentence?

@lewilliams

Diminutive forms are like nicknames, only someone may actually be named the diminutive form instead of the original.

Alexander = Sasha

Mikhail = Misha

MineralizedWritings
                    @mineralizedwritings
                      • Total Posts: 2803

@whalekeeper

I’d love to see your drawing of him!

I just like… see cool character… must draw XD

His description sounds like some anime hero a bit lol, I used to do anime fanart. It’s how I learned to draw people at first.

へびは かっこいい です!

Esther
                      @esther-c
                        • Total Posts: 3213

@whalekeeper

Actually, it sounds a lot like Quentin, the hero’s distant cousin. I mean, if names run in the family…

That’d be cool!

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Whaley
                        @whalekeeper

@lewilliams

Thank you!! I wasn’t certain if I’d still have fondness for the characters, or if I’d want to burn the whole thing with endless fire 😅 I must say, it has been tough paving my way through the previously terrible world-building, and a few characters have indeed bitten the dust.

Silent moment for the left-behind charries 😔

Okay, cool now 😎 Anyway, are you still working on that story idea? And, if you don’t mind sharing, what is it? Back then I always wondered what other tweens were writing, but was too shy to ask.

@koshka

I accept your disclaimer wholeheartedly – and I mean tense, among other grammar-related causes. Just tense, or also subject vs. object? (Sorry, I forget the terms.)Mustafa

@mineralizedwritings

Sure, when I find it!

XD lol

I’ve never tried drawing anime before (except one time trying to draw a friend’s character, and it didn’t turn out too well). But a lot of people seem to learn that way.

@esther-c

Yeah, I’ll have to keep that in my internal name list!

Koshka
                          @koshka

@whalekeeper

Ah, I see. I’m not sure though, maybe they do. I haven’t come across an explanation yet, but I did see it done. The last letter was changed to an objective case.

I may need to come back to this after some study.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Koshka.

Elizabeth
                            @lewilliams

@whalekeeper *joins your moment of silence* *resists urge to hum My Heart Will Go On* Lol, that’s such a mood 😂 Hopefully the fondness is winning out?? It does sound like a pretty epic story, ngl—especially if you have that nostalgia for it.

Heh, yes and no. I worked on it pretty much exclusively for like, seven years?? (Wow, that…made me feel old.) With a couple other projects thrown in here and there, but Drakesbane has always been my baby <3 I’ve decided to shelve it for the time being—I keep reworking the world building/characters arcs/backstories over and over and I eventually found myself in need of a fresh start. I haven’t abandoned it though, and do plan on returning to it (I’m way to emotionally attached to the characters to shelve it, lol!)—though probably more as, like, writing fan fiction for a story that only exists in my head?? As in, it may never been a complete book per se, just a series of excerpts.
                              As for what it’s about…heh. The first draft (from ye olde 2013) was about a girl and her talking wolf going to slay a dragon. Now…it’s not that. There’s an arranged marriage that goes awry (basically, one guy character has to pretend to be another character and then accidentally falls in love with the girl the other character is unwillingly betrothed to) and maybe a heist. Probably a dragon somewhere in there. And a girl who has to be queen all of a sudden and also get married. We’ll see if I ever figure it out.

“Seven seconds till the end. Time enough for you. Perhaps. But what will you do with it?”

Elizabeth
                              @lewilliams

@koshka Aahhh I see!! That makes a lot of sense—thank you for explanation!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >