Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Splendid, splendid.
Plot twist, I’ve already sourced Redwall for names and one of my previous pets was Mattimeo. 😀
…what was it? I must know pleeeeaaassssse. XD
…but you gave me a good chuckle
My purpose is fulfilled. *bows*
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
October 3, 2026 at 11:46 pm in reply to: A Place to share/write whatever we’re working on: Worldbuilding, plot, etc #213875This is delicious. *savors the aroma of randomness* I love this story idea already. Leaning into crazy traditions and stuff is a great idea!
…
Sorry, this will be a lot.
Historical Rabbit Trails
Angelo saxons did not have “queens” for a long time (the first being the woman who allegedly brought Christianity to the country). This was because some queen got power hungry/angry at her husband and poisoned him. So they removed the Ringiver/King’s personal life from politics for a while. (Yeah, ancient Saxons were my brainrot a few years ago. I would love a court system built in a thein/Ringiver/Scop society.)
Also about queens.. the Sultans of the Ottoman Empire went through a time that they refused to marry in an attempt to avoid paying ransoms in case she was kidnapped. The first Sultan to change that married a Ukrainian slave his mother had bought for him. She is one of the most famous Sultannas to this day as her influence spread over all Europe.
The king of Babylon had to be slapped in the face every year by the chief priest or else he would lose his crown. The Persians saw no use for this and therefore struggled to gain their new citizens’ respect because the Babylonians felt the new king had not submitted to their god.
This one is fascinating but be careful if you’re sqramish. One of the crown princes of England in the Medieval ages got shot in the face by an arrow but survived. (Actually, he tried to keep fighting. Broke the thing off and went on until stopped IF I REMEMBER RIGHT) The shaft, broken off as it was, slipped in too deep to be easily removed/it came out but the arrow head stayed in. It couldn’t be left in because it was lodged near his spine and could literally paralyze him if it moved a couple inches. A surgen saved him by 1. Creating these special, long tweezers, 2. Carefully keeping the wound from healing closed or getting infected by stuffing it with sterilized strips of cloth. Once the wound was wide enough, he got the arrow head out, stitched up the prince and that was that. Icky Medical Stuff over. The heir lived to become king, and while it’s a story that many discredit, it is interesting that the only paintings of him only show his profile, the undamaged side toward the viewer.
There was a king of Germany/The Holy Roman Empire that had glaucoma but still went to war and fought. (Although he died in his first blind battle.)
Queen Elizabeth II avoided smelly foods, especially garlic. She also liked frozen custard. SO FOOD. I love researching what they ate and what they wore and the why’s behind it all.
King Alfred allegedly disguised himself as a minstrel so he could spy on the Viking invaders while he lived in exile/as an outlaw. He also translated parts of the Bible and his favorite Bible character was David because Alfred wanted to be a poet but had to be a king, and David was both.
Favorite tropes!
Wholesome family relationships that fly in the face of politics. The world is against us but we’re still family and I remember who you really are so let’s work this out together.
Arranged marriage where she knows exactly what she’s getting into and will make the best of it. Also he is not an idiot.
Mad king with a faithful regent son taking care of the kingdom.
Nerdy heir. Like, studied politics but has a secret hobby that is totally unconnected. Probably has to do with books or insects. The random obsessions of royals are not only fabulous, but they also make them more human.
I do like the idea of a bloodline that’s crossed with fairies or something from some old alliance. The people just think the genetics are a part of being royal but there are secret pros and cons of the situation. I feel like the idea of a cross-folk marriage is a little over done, but something like this would be fun.
The hypetheticals
I have definitely wondered what would happen if there were twins. Logically, the eldest would be the heir, but their relationship would be fascinating. Would they be best friends or bitter enemies? Personally, I feel like the bitter enemies trope is used a lot and would love to see a best friend scenario. ALSO, would the culture view twins as a good thing or would they have negative superstitions about them? The possibilities are vast.
I also think a disabled etc. heir would be interesting. Blind, crippled, and chronically ill heirs have existed and not lost their titles, but it’s definitely not a possibility many consider.
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
Tavar
“Neurological science?” Saying the term, even imitating Bryce’s accent when he did, didn’t help. “I don’t know the term, although it sounds like the words used in one of my books. Let’s see…”
Tavar closed his eyes, envisioning the word, changing the alphabet around until it fit. Eyes flashing open, he ran a finger over the stacks of books laid out before him. A brilliant yellow cover caught his eye. He pulled it out and opened it up. Lifelike illustrations of the insides of people filled the first pages. They looked clean and organized, quite unlike——-
He blinked until a sad smile replaced the shock of that memory and turned the page.
“Ah yes. This book used the term. Neurological…. is it the study of the mind? I can barely read this book. My master has been teaching me the letters, but I only arrived yesterday.” He held the book out toward Bryce. “Can you read it? I think it is an introduction to the body in its physical state, but it may be something else entirely.”
-
This reply was modified 4 days, 1 hour ago by
Elishavet Elroi.
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
THEY’RE SO CUTE! So fluffyyyyyy…..
Ummm….
Biblical names: Paul & Silas
Bookish names: Remi & Sticky; Martin & Mathias (or Mathias & Matemeo); Sir Percival; Gumpus; Whitby & Picket;
Others: Wiggles & Grumps; Pumpkin & Marshmallow;
Sebster & Hugo; Moth & Merlin/Cosmo/Whatever the names of the other boys are.
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
Unfortunately no, I don’t have more. I want a window box, but I don’t know how that would actually fit in my window since I live in a college dorm.
Tavar
He shrugged, a frown creasing his forehead.
“To be honest, I do not know. If I had not just been reading about the value of food to one’s inward strength, I may have thought I was imagining it…”
Which would not be acceptable as a healer. His gaze traveled back to the sun beams on the floor. They were warm and comforting, alluring his mind to think on happier things than his own shortcomings. We all have a journey, Avelorion. He drug one leather slippered foot over the nearest beam and let out a sigh as the warmth soaked into it.
“We all have unsettled talents I suppose. Things we are still learning. What about you? Is there anything you wish to learn about yourself or this place?”
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
Oof I kinda dropped off the face of the earth there.
Yesss. That would be so cool to see miniature roses everywhere! Unfortunately, the pot I ordered initially was too damaged to use so I have to get another. Hopefully my little rosy will wait that long. 😅 So far my characters have largely escaped the obsession… Except that Tavar will naturally need to be into gardening/herbology. Fencing would be an interesting hobby though! I’d support it.
Tavar
“Of course. You are welcome. I was glad to help.” Tavar tilted his head to study Bryce. “I admit that I have never sensed such a strong discomfort of… of…..”
He did not know what word to use. One of his father would have called it a penya tour, a draining of vitality. Yet, perhaps the term in that book he had found yesterday be more widely understood, even if it sounded like a random mix of letters to himself. Hypoglycemia. What a strange word. He tapped his chin with a stylus.
“Well, a sudden lack of potency in one’s blood. It is a common affliction, I understand, though rare among my own people. Is this common for you?”
Wow. My first RP was a lot less nerdy and inquisitive, but that RP is post is lost so here we go lol.
-
This reply was modified 1 week ago by
Elishavet Elroi. Reason: Had to clarify. Always clarify
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
I have ordered a new pot for a miniature rose my dad gave me. Now I’m researching what kind of soil I should get. Nothing is safe. Every character of mine is in danger of obtaining a plant baby. 😂
*clears throat*
Tavar
He settled back into his chair. It was across from the hungry boy, in view of potential librarians. He pretended to be organizing his various stacks of references. Still, he kept an eye on the patient. Slowly, a little more color returned to the prince’s face. It wasn’t much, but Tavar felt his heart’s beat slow slightly. In fact, he was almost certain that both his hearts relaxed just a little. He looked up from his books.
“I am Tavar Avelorion, an apprentice to the healers here. Do you need anything else? Some water or cold meat and cheese?”
He doubted the boy had gone so long without food for them to need that recipe on rejuvenating broth.
-
This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by
Elishavet Elroi. Reason: Plaaaaaantsssssssss
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
Tavar
“You are welcome. Do you have another…” His brows scrunched together as he searched for the word. “Shnack? There’s a seat in this window that’s quite hidden from the librarians.”
He held out a hand in welcome, ready to catch the boy if he stumbled.
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
@whalekeeper Ooo, interesting. I knew animals could, but didn’t realize people could too. It makes a lot of sense, actually. Glad you think it fits!
@beth-torres Thanks! He definitely has it now, although he hasn’t entirely learned how to use it/what he smells.Now for the RP…
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
Noted. It’s canon now.
I like her despite herself. XD Two librarians are better than one. Besides, it’s a huge library. One would be overworked.
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
Oi dearie me. This is a lovely kerfuffle.
This RP has got me thinking… I’m playing with the idea that Tavar can smell diabetes, maybe even cancer and malaria, since his folk are supposed to have GREAT senses. It’s an avenue of sensory finesse that I haven’t heard included in a character… And I just like the idea of him having these very niche instincts for healing that no one knows how to use. Anyway, at the moment, he’s just generally concerned.
Tavar
Tavar’s thumb hurt where the edge of his book had bitten into it as he shoved the tome closed. He shook his hand absently, more concerned over the interaction across the aisle.
“Ms. Quibble, a asfendë for the interruption.” He stood and bowed, his book tucked safely in the crook of one arm. He had only seen Ms Quibble for an hour last night, but he would probably survive wild wolves easier than her wrath should he injure one of her books. He cleared his throat. “Could you help me find a reference? The Honorable Master Ambiguouscis recorded the name of his mentor. Ah.. but I see you are busy. If I could take our friend to the cell where I usually have my meals, would you be free to look for the Incompleted Authoritee on Medicyne and Ailements of Mynd and Bodye?”
He had good vision, but by now a one-eyed bat could have seen how much the boy’s hands were shaking. Whatever the crinkly blue package was, it smelled sweet like a festival snack.
Ah yes, Strength usually obtained by food….
-
This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by
Elishavet Elroi. Reason: He is impressive, but not THAT much
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
@loopylin lol! Yeah we need something here. XD
Yesssss! Make a librarian. I second the motion.
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
This was lovely to come into. Let’s see…
Tavar
…In such cases, the emotional loss is heightened by the lack of physical strength usually found in food. Comfort the patient…
The boys who had been wandering around the library were talking again. Tavar glanced up at them for a moment, just long enough to see what they generally looked like. And catch something diseased about one of them. Not diseased as in and infectious attack, but rather the literal sense of the word.
Uncomfortable.
Tavar turned back to his book with a little shrug.
…as best you can. Do not urge heavy foods as this will upset the delicate balance on which he has existed. Instead prepare a broth using the pulse of…
There were a pair of trousers in front of him. Tavar started, his eyes coming fully open for the first time in hours.
The trousers naturally housed a person. One of the two boys sharing the library with him. The one dis-eased.
“Sorry to bother you,” The boy said with abject nonchalance. “Happen to know the rules for taking books in and out of the library? Or, have you seen a librarian anywhere to ask?”
Tavar blinked.
“You can take the books as long as you write their names, your name, and the date you took them in the ledger over by the door. They must be returned when you finish reading them. Or so the man who brought me the morning meal said. I haven’t seen a soul fin here since. Other than you two, that is.”
-
This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by
Elishavet Elroi. Reason: Aesthetic
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
Hmmm. He sounds dangerous. A man with a motive indeed.
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
Lol! Yeah, my friend interrupted my stuttering explanation of this character (an elven prince who risks his life to sneak a little girl to his dad so she can be fostered in safety… Then proceeds to spend the rest of his “immortal” life looking after her.) with the words, “So, he’s attractive?”
I stopped mid sentence, mouth open, completely caught off guard. Like yes, I had just texted my sister saying that the character was the most romantic figure in modern literature, but that was an inside joke. XD I had been talking about a specific instance where he takes an arrow for the MC. Because yes, while he is astoundingly handsome, I’ve known him long enough to be quite proud of him for it. When my mental images of him include him slowly dying of a poisoned arrow and a week later guiding the MC in espionage antics like a telepathic Google Maps, I feel very much like a concerned aunt. Why must he feel the need to always be the living shield? Why must he always second-guess his relationship with his family? Give the guy some hot coffee and a good book for a day. Peace in the world would be nice too.
@rae Ok, It think it’s worse when they’re real people. XD But it sounds like you have great friend-making skills. I respect and admire that.With fictional characters, I usually just want to adopt them, not marry them.
Exactly!!
Still a ChaosGremlin™ on the inside.
-
This reply was modified 4 days, 1 hour ago by
-
AuthorPosts
