@annika-c
Active 5 years, 7 months ago- Rank: Charismatic Rebel
- Total Posts: 19
-
Kathleen replied to the topic What was the premise of your first novel? in the forum Topic of the Week 6 years, 2 months ago
I’ve always had a fascination with fairy-tale retellings! Have you ever read the Lunar Chronicles? I wouldn’t say it’s the best series out there, but it was definitely the best fairy-tale retelling series that I have read.
How old were you when you wrote it?
-
Lin replied to the topic What was the premise of your first novel? in the forum Topic of the Week 6 years, 2 months ago
@kathleenramm As my first novel has sprung into a very large and interwoven project, I think I’ll recount the first short story that I wrote that launched me into writing.
It was a fairy-tale retelling, I think. I had different characters from different stories come together to…do something. I can’t quite remember what. But I do remember that…[Read more]
-
Kathleen started the topic What was the premise of your first novel? in the forum Topic of the Week 6 years, 2 months ago
“What was the first novel you wrote about? What made you decide to write it?”
Also, it doesn’t have to be the first novel you finished, just the first novel you started writing.My first novel, (which I didn’t actually finish), was about a girl who lived with her grandmother in a immobile mobile home. She lives a pretty simple life of caring for…[Read more]
-
Kathleen replied to the topic What piece of writing advice changed the way you write the most? in the forum Topic of the Week 6 years, 2 months ago
That is a fantastic way to improve writing style that I must try!
I haven’t heard this advice of mimicking great authors’ writing styles as a way to improve your own, but it makes perfect sense.
What were some of the authors you modeled after?
-
Kathleen replied to the topic What piece of writing advice changed the way you write the most? in the forum Topic of the Week 6 years, 2 months ago
Yeah, style so often overlooked by a lot of writers.
Was there anything particular you did to help improve your writing style? Or was it just a lot of practice and persistence?
-
Lin replied to the topic Ideas for a short story? in the forum Plotting 6 years, 3 months ago
@purenostalgia That’s very cool. I have a feeling that we could be very similar people.
Here’s the aformentioned link: https://www.pinterest.com/todaysdearanonymous/literature-inspirations/
Have fun!
-
Lin replied to the topic Ideas for a short story? in the forum Plotting 6 years, 3 months ago
@purenostalgia Firstly, I just wanted to tell you a) I like your username and b) I had your profile picture for my wallpaper for the longest time.
For short stories I generally think of a concept or a scene that I want to write and then I surround it with other things. Develop it a little…something like that. I have a large cast of characters…[Read more]
-
Kathleen started the topic What piece of writing advice changed the way you write the most? in the forum Topic of the Week 6 years, 3 months ago
What piece of writing advice changed the way you write the most?
What writing advice helped you the most with your writing?For me the piece of writing advice that changed the way I write the most was to fully put yourself into the main character’s headspace while writing.
To take a moment before I write a scene to think what the MC is thinking,…[Read more]
-
Kathleen replied to the topic July 3rd – What was the most boring main character you've read about? in the forum Topic of the Week 6 years, 3 months ago
I have yet to read the Inheritance Cycle, and I must say, this doesn’t make me any more excited to do so.
Oh, yes… Jason. All I remember about him was that he was very forgettable.
Probably the weakest protagonist Riordan has ever written.
-
Kathleen replied to the topic help? in the forum Questions and Support 6 years, 3 months ago
Alrighty!
-
Kathleen replied to the topic TOTW – What is a story cliche that you like? in the forum Start HERE 6 years, 3 months ago
I know people who love that trope as well as people who hate it! Haha.
But it can be really good if it’s written well.
Is there a book or movie that you read/watched that pulled this trope off particularly well?
-
Kathleen replied to the topic help? in the forum Questions and Support 6 years, 3 months ago
It’s been a while, but is this still an issue?
If it is, I can look into why it isn’t working and try to fix it.
And if there are any other technical difficulties you are having, feel free to let me know and I’ll get ’em fixed as soon as possible!
-
Kathleen started the topic July 3rd – What was the most boring main character you've read about? in the forum Topic of the Week 6 years, 3 months ago
 JULY 3RD TOPIC OF THE WEEK
What was the most boring main character you’ve read about? And what made them so boring?
I am going to honest here. For me, the most boring main character that I’ve ever read about was Chris Redston from Dreamlander by K.M. Weiland.I really love K.M. Weiland, but this main character… just wasn’t it. What I think…[Read more]
-
Kathleen replied to the topic Ideas, Cherry Soda Bottles, and Time Warping Inspiration, ETC in the forum General Writing Discussions 6 years, 3 months ago
Not sure why I’m only finding this forum page now, but better late than never!
Okay, so here’s the first thing that popped into my head after reading your premise.
I really like the idea that every time he time travels, he is making an alternate universe, and not really changing the past.
But I think a cool way to take advantage…[Read more]
-
Lin replied to the topic hey, hello, hi in the forum Start HERE 6 years, 3 months ago
@kathleenramm One on my to-watch list would be My Beautiful Bride…the movies I watched I’m not sure of the names because I watched them with Chinese subs haha
I really love Ateez! They have great music and they’re all really sweet guys! Highly recommend.
@merieshenanigans I listen to Ateez, Oneus, A.C.E, WayV, BTS, Noir, Stray Kids, and Monsta…[Read more]
-
Kathleen replied to the topic hey, hello, hi in the forum Start HERE 6 years, 3 months ago
I usually draw new characters, but my goal is to be able to draw characters from my novel. The reason why I haven’t yet is because when I start, they don’t look like what they imagine them in my head, and give up. XD
*grabs a pencil and shakes it with determination*
But one day I’ll draw sketches of the characters in my novels…[Read more]
-
Kathleen replied to the topic TOPIC OF THE WEEK – How do you think of story ideas? in the forum Start HERE 6 years, 3 months ago
But that’s what writers do! Notice the small but fascinating things in the world that most people overlook.
Being strange is what writers do best.XD
Funny enough yes! I was able to dream about my fictional worlds.
Only occasionally and after many efforts, but when I did the world ended up being a lot more…[Read more]
-
Lin replied to the topic hey, hello, hi in the forum Start HERE 6 years, 3 months ago
@merieshenanigans Haha, that’s fine. It seems like a lot of commitment to watch a show. There are several great Korean movies I’ve watched before, though.
I wouldn’t exactly call myself a ‘kpop stan’, as I only stan one group right now (it’s really hard for me to focus on more than one group at a time) but I like to listen to a lot of the songs,…[Read more]
-
Lin replied to the topic hey, hello, hi in the forum Start HERE 6 years, 3 months ago
@merieshenanigans Haha you’re currently living in a Chinese-speaking community so I think you have an advantage XD I tried learning German and French once, but I can’t spell German and I can’t pronounce French, so those might have to wait for a future time. I’ve heard that Korean is really easy, which makes it super appealing.
There are actually…[Read more]
-
Lin replied to the topic hey, hello, hi in the forum Start HERE 6 years, 3 months ago
@merieshenanigans No, unfortunately. I do want to go someday, though. I know Chinese quite well. I think something cool to do would be to learn all the Asian languages so I can blend in anywhere. Unrealistic, however.
Ooh, I do want to go to Korea as well one day. But for now I guess I’ll just watch Korean movies.
Ahaha at some point you’re…[Read more]
- Load More
