TOTW – What is a story cliche that you like?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE TOTW – What is a story cliche that you like?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

This week’s Forum Topic is…

What is a story cliche that you enjoy?

Most of the time when it comes to cliches in stories we usually roll our eyes. But is there a cliche that you actually enjoy? Why do you enjoy it?

One of the cliches that I like, is the incompetent hero trope.

The main reason being that it makes the protagonist more relatable. The main characters that I can see myself in, are to me, the most inspiring.

When a not-so-spectacular character overcomes spectacular obsticals, it helps me believe that I can overcome difficulties in my own life as well.

I also like story goals that seem impossible, but if the main character is all-knowing and super confident all the time, then it makes the story goal seems too easy. Which makes the story overall less interesting.

So what is a cliche that you like? Be sure to share your answer below!

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
      @william-starkey
        • Total Posts: 634

@kathleenramm As I have no apparent appreciation for clichés, I shall refrain from commenting further until further notice.

Grace H.
        @gh24682468999
          • Total Posts: 199

@kathleenramm Yeah, I see what you mean about the incompetent hero being relatable. I think every person is fundamentally insecure about something, so having that played out in a book usually strikes a chord.

I like the forbidden love type (Romeo and Juliet, the song Rewrite the Stars, etc). I don’t know why exactly. It’s usually very feel-sy and gives the love something to overcome, and often it’s very bittersweet. Maybe it’s also related to people you love moving away and missing them a lot… something that I experience quite a bit in my own life.

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
          literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

Kathleen
          @kathleenramm

@gh24682468999

Yeah, the forbidden love type is a cliche for a reason! It feels a lot more romantic than other relationships.

And you’re right about it being relatable to a lot of people. Rarely can you stay with everyone you dearly love. Seeing it happen in stories makes you connect to the characters more.

Kathleen
            @kathleenramm

@leon-fleming

Interesting… There is not one cliche that you at least somewhat enjoy?

Well, since there isn’t a cliche you don’t like, is there a cliche that you particularly dislike?

@william-starkey

@kathleenramm Nope; not that I know of.

Well, since I definitely can’t not like them, I must stay with disliking them; in which case, I’d venture to mention the many clichés within fairy tales. I won’t go fully into that; I’ll just say that those can get particularly boring at times. Especially when I already know what’s going to happen in the story when I’ve never read it before.

And then there’s the young guy out of the low town who goes off and ends up being a great hero in the world, with this old-man/mentor guy who trains him along the way. *barf* XD

Linyang Zhang
                @devastate-lasting
                  • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Uh…I had to look up a list because I don’t remember anything that I actually like…but I do like the “grumpy one that has a soft spot for only that one other character” trope. I think it’s cute. And also it shows that people are complex and are more than just their demeanor.

@leon-fleming When did you become knight in shining armor? I feel like I’ve missed a lot XD

Lately, it's been on my brain
                  Would you mind letting me know
                  If hours don't turn into days

Kathleen
                  @kathleenramm

@devastate-lasting

Yeah, I also like it when characters are more than just their stereotypes.

Is there a particular story that you know of that does the “grumpy one that has a soft spot for only that one other character” trope well?

Michelle Black
                    @michelle
                      • Total Posts: 87

@kathleenramm There are so many!!! The rich guy and the poor girl getting together, that’s why I am not a fan of historical dramas lol

Linyang Zhang
                      @devastate-lasting
                        • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Not off the top of my head but I think there’s some Webtoons out there that I might’ve read sometime…I also like incorporating it into my own writing too XD

Lately, it's been on my brain
                        Would you mind letting me know
                        If hours don't turn into days

@william-starkey

@devastate-lasting XD Oh, well, time passes, ya know?! Plus, my armour is quite comfortable, I must mention. I had no idea they added padding in this thing. Quite improved from the old ways, I’d think!

@michelle
                          Yeah, those are okay; I guess it depends on how imaginative the author is. Sometimes they can be quite good! Though not the bland ones. Those are terrible.

Kathleen
                          @kathleenramm

@michelle

Haha, yeah, as much as that trope can be interesting from a story standpoint, it rarely ever happens in real life. XD

Is there a particular story that you read/watched that does that trope well which made you like it?

Michelle Black
                            @michelle

@kathleenramm Oh gosh lol I don’t know XD What are some of your favorite tropes?

Michelle Black
                              @michelle

@leon-fleming Very true:) What are some of your favorite tropes too?

@william-starkey

@michelle Well…I do like that trope/scene where a man leads his army into the swarm of war after a short speech.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >