hey, hello, hi

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE hey, hello, hi

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Merie Shen
    @merieshenanigans
      • Total Posts: 38

@michelle Sometime, when I have pictures worthy of that!

Haha, it’s not that I don’t like coffee; I just don’t drink it. Actually, I don’t drink anything with caffeine on a regular basis, except the occasional bubble tea, because bubble tea is awesome.

~ always be a happy camper ~

Merie Shen
      @merieshenanigans

@devastate-lasting It’s nice to meet you too!

Yay, that’s so cool! That you’ve visited Shanghai AND that you write by hand. It’s a miracle mine hasn’t fallen off by now. I should learn to write with my left hand, too.

My family has moved around quite a bit… We spent 4 years in America before moving back to Beijing, and now we’re in Shanghai. I know Korean, and I’m learning it slowly since we visit relatives in SK every summer (… except this summer, which is sad because my Korean was finally actually improving).

Merie Shen
        @merieshenanigans

@kathleenramm I’m glad to be here!

I like to draw characters, too, either from other fandoms or my own! Most of my decent pieces are sketches of everyday things and animals and stuff like that, though. Do you draw characters from your novels or just draw new characters?

Nameless WIPs are just… just sad.

Michelle Black
          @michelle
            • Total Posts: 87

@merieshenanigans So cool! Were you born is China? Or did you move there? *holds hands on heart and smiles* I too am a fan of Grimm fairytales. My favorites are The Youth Who Went Forth To learn What Fear Was, The Blue Light, Faithful John, and The Princess Who Had Never Laughed. I will for sure check out The Wild Swans:)

I like to make tasty treats also, not really baking but chocolate covered goodies XD

Speaking of music, what is you favorite song to sing and rock out to? And what are some of your top favorite movies?

P.S. Toto is so adorable! I can’t stand it XD I am a sucker for cute animals. I have two cats.

Merie Shen
            @merieshenanigans

@michelle I was born in South Korea, actually! My dad is Chinese, though, and my mom is a missionary in China. Yesss I love The Youth Who Set Out to Learn What Fear Was, it’s hilarious! I should check out those other ones you mentioned!

Yay for chocolate!

I couldn’t choose a favorite (bc I can never choose favorites) but I like to listen to a wide range of genres– Christian rock, pop, Celtic pop, Broadway, etc. What about you?? I’m not a big movie person, but *cough* the Kung Fu Panda and Night at the Museum movies will always have a special place in my heart, for nostalgic reasons xD A more recent favorite would be Amazing Grace, and of course there’s The Lion King. You?

That’s awesome! Cats are fantastic xD What are their names?

Linyang Zhang
              @devastate-lasting
                • Total Posts: 1700

@merieshenanigans Ah, Beijing’s where my grandparents live! It’s one of my favorite places.

I’ve been meaning to learn Korean, but I think I’ll try to finish Japanese first. What’s Korea like?

Do you watch any anime?

Lately, it's been on my brain
                Would you mind letting me know
                If hours don't turn into days

Michelle Black
                @michelle

@merieshenanigans *claps* You read that story too!! Not a lot of people have:) I love Celtic music, especially traditional💖

nostalgia is a powerful thing lol. I am planning on listening to more Christmas music.I am really obsessed with The Hunchback Of Notre Dame Broadway musical. Do you have a musical you favor?

The oldest cat is named Angel and the youngest is 5 years old and is named Princess, but we also call her baby (because she is the baby, plus she is small XD)

Do you have any older or younger siblings? Also are you homeschooled? *more rapid questions*

Merie Shen
                  @merieshenanigans

@devastate-lasting I love Beijing!

Ooh, you’re learning Japanese! I’ve always wanted to visit Japan… Have you been there? And do you know Chinese too?

Korea is a lovely place, with lots of good food, and fun things to do 🙂

And no, I don’t watch anime… Though I keep getting recs from friends who do.

Merie Shen
                    @merieshenanigans

@michelle *gasp* I love that musical! What’s your favorite song from it? I like listening to Hamilton, Les Mis, and Anastasia as well 😛

They sound adorable! How long have you had them?

I have one younger sister! And it’s a funny thing– I’ve been homeschooled only two years, last year and one grade in elementary school, but I’ve been going to school in between and will be this fall. I assume you’re homeschooled?

Linyang Zhang
                      @devastate-lasting

@merieshenanigans No, unfortunately. I do want to go someday, though. I know Chinese quite well. I think something cool to do would be to learn all the Asian languages so I can blend in anywhere. Unrealistic, however.

Ooh, I do want to go to Korea as well one day. But for now I guess I’ll just watch Korean movies.

Ahaha at some point you’re going to have to succumb to those recommendations (like I did) and fall down the anime rabbit hole. There are quite a few good ones out there.

Merie Shen
                        @merieshenanigans

@devastate-lasting That would be really cool! I bet your Chinese is better than mine, haha. I want to learn other languages too, but not all from Asia. (Korean is really easy compared to English and Chinese, in my opinion, so if you’ve gotten this far I think you’d kill it.)

Do you watch any K-dramas?

Okay, lovely. Looks like I’m doomed, then!

Grace H.
                          @gh24682468999
                            • Total Posts: 199

@merieshenanigans 你好! I’m Grace and welcome to the forum! I also enjoy fantasy, and my current WIP is a fairytale retelling 🙂

Your soon-to-be-named WIP sounds really cool. Can you tell me more of what it’s about?

Also I’m curious why you feel like you’re not an actual TCK… because I think it means different things for different people. Like if you wanted to get technical, I’m an American born of Taiwanese origins whose lived in Taiwan most of her life… and whose first language is English. So even if you don’t technically have a “third culture”, from the sounds of it TCK-dom is an identity you definitely embody. Celebrate it!!

*hands you a bubble tea* (which by the way, I also totally prefer to coffee) 😉

Finally and very importantly, I’d advise you to please go back to the part where you mention your parent’s occupations and delete the information about your mom. My family knows too many people who have been negatively affected by being found out, and I’m sure you know what the climate in China is like. Even though KP seems very safe it’s honestly not worth publicly saying anything about it on the Internet.

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
                            literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

Michelle Black
                            @michelle

@merieshenanigans I know right! it is such a great musical, I really like the opening song The Bells Of Notre Dame, and Rhythm of the Tambourine( especially the very beginning part of it) What are your favorite songs from it? Okay lets see if I can remember lol. I got princess I think three days after my fourteenth birthday (she was just a kitten and was so tiny XD) And as for Angel, she is seventeen going on eighteen, There is a story behind her. So I am adopted (a little fun fact for you) I was supposed to come home around Christmas time, but I didn’t. My mom was devastated, so she told my dad that she had to have a cat, so they got Angel to help my mom feel better and to make the long waiting or me easier. I can’t believe spilled a bit of my backstory on the form XD lol

How old are you and your sister? and do you guys get along?:) I have been home schooled all my life. I am 18 years old by the way (will be turning 19 in August)

P.S. caffeine is actually not that good for you, a little bit once in a while is okay:D I have always wanted to try a bubble tea!!!!!! I have heard so much about it. It is on my bucket list.

Linyang Zhang
                              @devastate-lasting

@merieshenanigans Haha you’re currently living in a Chinese-speaking community so I think you have an advantage XD I tried learning German and French once, but I can’t spell German and I can’t pronounce French, so those might have to wait for a future time. I’ve heard that Korean is really easy, which makes it super appealing.

There are actually a couple k-dramas that I do want to watch, but I haven’t found time or the streaming services. Are there any dramas that you would recommend?

*whispers* Do you listen to k-pop?

Merie Shen
                                @merieshenanigans

@gh24682468999 Nice to meet you! May I ask which fairytale(s) you’re retelling?

It’s one of those big crew-of-characters adventure stories! I’ve been working on it for a few months now.

All right, that makes sense. I guess it’s because I don’t technically fit under the official definition of being raised in a different country? It’s complicated… But you’re right, being a TCK is always complicated, I guess! I actually never heard of the term until like a year ago, so maybe that’s it.

(That’s good to know; I’ve never run into trouble on the Internet before, but I’ll take your word for it! I just don’t know how to delete something on a former post?)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >