hey, hello, hi

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE hey, hello, hi

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Merie Shen
    @merieshenanigans
      • Total Posts: 38

Howdy! I’m Merie! I’m… new.

Hmm, what about me is worth introducing? In the category of books (the reading and writing of), I’m very fond of fantasy, dystopian, and fairytale retellings. In fact, I’m very fond of fairytales in general. I love fairytales.

*pause for dramatic effect, and also to think of something else to say*

I write novels by hand because I’m insane. I live in Shanghai, China. I’m Chinese-Korean. I like to think I have a hand for drawing. Apparently I’m not a proper TCK (third-culture kid)*weeps* And, to my great chagrin, my best language is English, which I guess isn’t necessarily a bad thing in the long run, but still.

I think that’s all I have for now… Oh, I’m currently working on one WIP (one among a million shoved in the backseat), a YA fantasy. It doesn’t even have a title. I hate not having a title!

Also, at this point in life I think “Bumbling Henchman” is a very suitable title for me in this position…

~ always be a happy camper ~

Alien and Sojourner in a Foreign Land
      @william-starkey
        • Total Posts: 634

@merieshenanigans Welcome to Kingdom Pen! I’m into fantasy and fairytales, as well.

What’s it like in Shanghai?

Nice, uh…what’s a third-culture kid?

I get that about titles! I always have to make up SOME sort of title for my projects. I’m working on this one project which I had the general idea for only a few days ago. (When I’m supposed to be working on some other ones. XD)…(Which I am in a sense working on them, but…I could be working on the a lot more than I am working on them.)

Once again: Welcome to the Kingdom! Don’t forget raspberry kings and doughnuts with coffee! Adios!

Michelle Black
        @michelle
          • Total Posts: 87

@merieshenanigans  *Waves and gives hug* Hi Welcome Merie! I am Michelle.

I love fairytales too!! all different kinds:) What are your top favorites? Oh come on I don’t think you insane XD I have always wanted to visit Asia, it has such rich deep roots and beautiful lands, What is it like where you live? Also What is your WIP about? Please share:) Time for my rapid questions, What are some of your hobbies? do you have pets? also, how did you become a writer?

I was a “Bumbling Henchman” at one point:) also I LOVE your profile pic XD it’s so cute. Is it a dog you know?

@leon-fleming What is that? XD Are you coming at her with your raspberries and coffee thing lol

Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting
            • Total Posts: 1700

@merieshenanigans Hello!!! Nice to meet you!

I, too, write novels by hand because I’m insane! Crazy how efficient it actually is.

My aunt, uncle, and cousins live in Shanghai, so I’ve been there more than once. It’s a cool place. (Not gonna lie I find myself missing China a lot these days…honestly very bad timing)

Have you always lived in China? Do you know Korean as well?

Lately, it's been on my brain
            Would you mind letting me know
            If hours don't turn into days

@william-starkey

@michelle XD Oops, sorry! *looks around* *reverts to a whisper* … *reverts to a higher whisper* Though, if you want, we could probably string in a few chocolate chip cookies.

Michelle Black
              @michelle

@leon-fleming I love COOKIES!! Bring em out XD Do you like them? if so what are your favorite kind

Linyang Zhang
                @devastate-lasting
                  • Total Posts: 1700

@leon-fleming A third culture kid is basically what I am; we’re raised in a different cultures than what our parents were raised in. So a second-generation immigrant, basically.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                  Would you mind letting me know
                  If hours don't turn into days

@william-starkey

@michelle So do I; my favourite kind are chocolate crinkles! Gotta love chocolate crinkles. What are yours?

@devastate-lasting
                    Ohhh, I get it. Nice.

@merieshenanigans
                    Yeah, I heard (and’ve seen in pictures) that some parts of China landscape is great! Especially Outer China. Though I’ve heard that’s pretty wild country animal, landscape wise.

Michelle Black
                    @michelle

@leon-fleming Chocolate crinkles, I never heard or tried those. I like cookies with white and dark chocolate chips in them, I also like cookies with m&ms in them.

Kathleen
                      @kathleenramm
                        • Total Posts: 635

@merieshenanigans

I will join everyone in saying, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Sorry if that was too loud, I always get excited when someone new joins. XD

You like to draw as well! What kind of things do you like to draw? For me I love drawing characters from movies, dramas, tv shows, etc. but I also like to make up my own characters from time to time.

Oh, and I totally relate to having difficulty deciding story titles.

*Thinks about all the nameless WIPs I have*

How does it come so easily to some people?!?!

@leon-fleming

Did I hear someone say chocolate cookies???

Michelle Black
                        @michelle

@kathleenramm * beckons you to come* Yes girl, come on over, we got cookies up in here.

@william-starkey

@michelle You’ve never heard of chocolate crinkles?!!!

…..

!

…..

Woah.

(Yeah, those types are great!)

@kathleenramm
                            Yeah, yeah, come on over to the Cookie Jar Coffee and Doughnut Shop with Books and Quiet Reading Places for Writers. It’s great!

I would definitely go to a place like that. XD

Merie Shen
                            @merieshenanigans

Thank ye kindly! I just moved to Shanghai, so I couldn’t tell you very much xD

Yes, all my projects need nice, shiny titles before I can get working with a good conscience! xD I’m very particular about that.

What if I don’t like coffee…?

Michelle Black
                              @michelle

@merieshenanigans You must show us some pictures of your country:)

That’s okay *throws coffee pot away* that’s perfectly fine:) How about tea and soda?

Merie Shen
                                @merieshenanigans

Hi, Michelle!

I love Andersen’s the best, but I’m a big fan of Perrault and Grimm too. And stories from other places, too. My top favorites… I have too many! I’m an indecisive teenager! But “The Wild Swans” is definitely one of them. 🙂 What’s yours?

I used to live in Beijing (until like, two weeks ago), and it’s a really interesting mash of Chinese and western culture, in my opinion. Shanghai is humid, super modern, has a really nice skyline, and is sadly lacking in mountains, which is a real shame. My WIP is an epic fantasy-style story (I think?) about a blind guy who isn’t really blind, a talking tiger who isn’t really a tiger, and a quest that doesn’t stay a quest 😉

My hobbies include baking, pretending I know how to sing, and hiking, among other things! And, ah, we used to have a cat, but she passed away when we moved here 🙁 And I believe I started writing when 7-year-old me decided to write a different ending for a book I loved!

My profile pic is my old dog, Toto xD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >