Writing Different Cultures/Religions/ETC

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writing Different Cultures/Religions/ETC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Gracie J.
    @gracie-j
      • Total Posts: 1789

So, technically this topic is much broader than the title suggests. Maybe something more like “Writing Different Cultures, Languages, Countries, Religions, Denominations, and Other Stuff We Don’t Know About.” We do have this fantastic topic here (https://kingdompen.org/forums/topic/database-for-information/), which is for more specific information, like jobs, skillsets, stuff like that…

But, I was thinking, with @joy-caroline writing Biblical fiction (with a lot of spiritual elements), @abigail-m writing about natural medicine and Russia, @writerlexi1216 writing about royalty, and @me-myself-and-i writing about pretty much everything, what if we had a topic for the region-specific things?

So, for those of us writing about different periods or places in history (or places based off of them), we could reach out to people who (a) are from that place, (b) know a lot about that time or place, or (c) are just really good at research. For example, I can talk yours ears off about the American Civil War, particularly from the perspective of the South. I’ve also got a TON of resources about pretty much every time period in the Western World.

For those of us writing about different languages (I’m constantly using a variety of European languages, by the way), we can ask questions to those of y’all who are native speakers or are learning some yourselves. I just speak English, but if anyone wants to know how to properly capture the sound of a Southern USA or African-American dialect, I’m your gal! (BTW, whoever knows Spanish may want to read over a few sentences in my WIP. I don’t trust Google that much!)

For those of us writing different cultures, same goes. Do you live in that culture? Does your family originate from it? Do you have a friend you could ask? Again, Southern USA, from experience. 😉

Likewise, for those of us who are writing about people of different religions (Islam, Judaism, etc.), some of us may have friends/family who practice them or have some of that in their family history. I don’t know how many people are writing about that, but I put that one out there too.

In a similar realm, we have people of all Protestant denominations here (don’t know how many Catholics…have we even got any Catholics?), so for those interested in their theology for their stories have a place to go! I grew up (I use the past tense verb loosely XD) BaptiCostal, so I’ve got a background in the Baptist faith and the Pentecostal faith. Also, I can talk all day about the gifts of the Holy Spirit and the spiritual realm–from angels and demons to speaking in tongues to miracles…just throwin’ that out there. Me, I’ve got a lot of stories waiting in the wings about Catholics (not to mention every other denomination out there), so I’m open to any information on Catholicism.

Now, this may sound like a topic strictly for historical/contemporary writers. It’s not. For the fantasy genre, you can piece together different parts of real languages, cultures, and religions from our big pool here to create your fantasy world! See? Win-win!

Also, if anyone has good character names to correspond with the cultures, religions, and languages, that would be great too!

Now…for the tagging…

@devastate-lasting
      @seekjustice @rochellaine @lewilliams @william-starkey @jenwriter17 @alia @kathleenramm @e-k-seaver @r-m-archer @libby @scoutfinch180 @epicaddie2 @jbb @godlyfantasy12 @nova21 @issawriter7 @kayleigh-idea @when-i-see-the-kingdom @quietgirl @ugroza @imwritehere1920 @bob-the-tomato @junior-asparagus @larry-the-cucumber @i-know-there-are-more-people-than-this

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 1379

@gracie-j

This is an awesome topic! By the way, I’m half Mexican and do speak Spanish, so I’m here for all your Spanish needs. XD

Ooh, this is honestly so cool, I can’t wait to see what people post! My family history is quite diverse, as I’ve grown up Seventh-Day Adventist, but my Abuelo grew up agnostic, my Abuela grew up Catholic, and Grandpa (dad’s side) grew up surrounded by Mormons. I’ve also learned a lot about Islam from my Muslim friend, and know ancient Judaism like the back of my hand! I’m your girl for Bible history.

I also love to talk about angels and demons and prophecy and all that stuff you mentioned. I’ve heard so many life experiences from people close to me, and I enjoy having religion discussions with anyone. It’s one of my favorite things to do! I absolutely cannot wait to see what everyone has to share.

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice
          • Total Posts: 3365

@gracie-j

I love the sound of this thread! It’ll be a great resource when a few more people have jumped on board.

For me, I’m Australian, so hit me up for all your down under needs (which reminds me, down under is a term only used by Americans/Australians who are trying to sound like Americans, so don’t take that as authentic Aussie lingo). I’ve grown up in sheep country, so I can tell you a lot about Australian farming and what I don’t know I can find out super easily.

My heritage is Scottish and English, my grandparents immigrating out here as “ten pound poms” in the very late sixties. I am very interested in particularly my Scottish heritage and I read a lot of mythology, folklore, etc, am learning Gaelic (but please don’t ask me to translate anything!) and do Highland dancing, I also am fairly well versed on Scottish and English history.

Religion wise, I come from an Anglican (Church of England) and Australian Baptist background. From what I’ve seen, Baptists here are quite different from Baptists in America, so if anyone is interested I can give you some details on that. I haven’t regularly attended an Anglican church for many years, but I regularly visit them and am knowledgeable about the way they work (both modern and traditional forms of it as well) and their beliefs. I personally identify with progressive Christianity and lean toward Anglicanism, which I know is slightly different to many others on here, so more than happy to give you my perspective on that.

I’m also well-versed on the role of Australia in WW1, and on quite a lot of Australian history!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Abigail.M.
          @abigail-m
            • Total Posts: 1242

@gracie-j

This is a great topic!

I have a good handful of assorted knowledge such as:

Russian flora, fauna, weather. Natural medicinal remedies. Horses (I own one, and she’s put me through everything a horse can put you through, good or bad.) I know about researching and getting to good resources. All types of farm animals. All levels of survival and survival skills (including wilderness, urban and extreme survival, though I haven’t used all this knowledge so far, I’ve done extensive research). Rare horse breeds of ancient Russia. Writing nature descriptions. Kelpies. Unicorns. Veterinarian knowledge. Spirit Riding Free. Names (which is the one aspect of writing I know inside and out). The Andy Griffith Show. Photography, music video making, and writing about winter.

If I remember the rest, I’ll post it:)

Linyang Zhang
            @devastate-lasting
              • Total Posts: 1700

@gracie-j Great idea for a topic!

Welp, I am Chinese, and also a weeb, so I’d say that I know a lot about Asian culture. Probably not everything, but if you ever need help I can probably search some things up for you…

Which is interesting since recently I’ve started several projects in a Chinese high school setting, and I, only knowing the barest minimum, had very little places to turn to. Googling did not help, until I discovered that I could get much more satisfactory results by looking up my questions in Chinese rather than English. I could probably do the same for you.

Mainly if you want to know stuff about language, or names, or some common aspects of culture that I would know, hit me up! If it’s about like Asian culture in general I may not know but feel free to ask me as well! I’ll do my best to ask my parents and/or find online content for you.

Lately, it's been on my brain
              Would you mind letting me know
              If hours don't turn into days

Gracie J.
              @gracie-j

@joy-caroline You’ve got a LOT of culture in your background! I may have you read over a few things I’ve written to make sure I got the Spanish dialogue right!

@seekjustice
                Ooh, ooh, ooh! I’m predominantly Scottish meself, but I don’t know very much about anything Scottish (except for bagpipes and haggis XD). I have several ideas for books with Scottish characters/set in Scotland, so I will DEFINITELY be turning to you! And, of course, next time I decide to write about Down Under Australia (which I may have an idea or two for), I’ve got a resource!

@abigail-m
                I am obsessed with names! So much so that I have blog series about the origins of certain names… Hey, maybe you could do a Name of the Month guest post in my blog!

@devastate-lasting
                Awesome! I’ve been toying with writing some Asian characters, so I may have to hit you up!

Abigail.M.
                @abigail-m
                  • Total Posts: 1242

@gracie-j

That would be awesome! What is your blog called? I like the sound of it already!

Issabelle Perry
                  @issawriter7
                    • Total Posts: 976

@gracie-j

This is AWESOME!! Can’t wait to see what everyone else has to bring to this topic!!! I sadly am VERY limited in this stuff. The only thing I might can add is that I’ve got a few interesting facts about the middle ages. *shrugs* Now I’m gonna go research stuff so I can bring more interesting topics to the table. 😂

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                    TeenWritersNook.com

R.M. Archer
                    @r-m-archer
                      • Total Posts: 243

*waves\* I don’t know how much of this will be useful, but… I’m Reformed Baptist (at least I grew up Baptist; I understand both Baptist and Presbyterian views on baptism, so as far as that goes I’m not sure which label is technically more accurate at this point, lol). “Reformed” means I believe in the Doctrines of Grace and Five Solas, which form the core of my theology. (I also love debating theology, so… take that as an invitation or a warning as you will. XD)

I’ve been both homeschooled and unschooled, and I find education to be a really interesting subject, though there’s still a lot I don’t know.

I’m a mythology nerd, so if there’s something I don’t know on that topic I’d be more than happy to look it up. And my mythology interest extends to topics such as historical/biblical giants (literal giants), which is another thing I’m still learning about.

I’m learning ballroom dance, so questions on that are welcome and if I don’t know then I have two instructors I could ask. XD

I think that’s pretty much all that could potentially be of use, lol.

@devastate-lasting
                      Do you know of anything I should avoid when creating/writing a culture that’s inspired by multiple Asian cultures? Are there things I shouldn’t combine or anything? And, on the flip side, is there anything I specifically should include to give… authenticity, I suppose, to the atmosphere?

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

E. K. Seaver
                      @e-k-seaver
                        • Total Posts: 344

I know a lot about ancient Greek stuff— mythology, culture, fashion– you name it. *was a very weird child*

I recently started on an archery team so I have a little knowledge relating to that. (And also now know how much I messed up in previously-written archery-related scenes in my WIPs) *has already asked her coaches how easily one could kill others with a bow and somewhat blunt arrow*

I’ve also done swimming on a team/lifeguarding, so I’ve got info in that.

I live in the southeastern US, so @gracie-j and I can both offer people info on that. (Also I can recite for you so much history of South Carolina and pinpoint where my ancestors played into it.)

I’ve travelled to northwestern Mexico and Thailand, so if anyone wants, like, an outsider’s view I can offer that.

My church is dual-affiliated with Southern Baptist and Sovereign Grace Churches.

I’m a PK– also Church planter’s kid. *finger guns* Fun life, that is.

I can tell you pretty much anything about the civil war, I can teach you how to knit, crochet, or paint, and I can help you format a paper in MLA or Chicago style. I speak mediocre Spanish. (AKA if you can find someone who’s better, please use them, but if you can’t I can be of service.) I somewhat have played the violin.

And that’s about the extent of my talents and knowledge.

(Oh I can also help you pack a bag as full as you possibly could for travel purposes.)

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
                        ekseaver.wordpress.com

Scoutillus Finch
                        @scoutfinch180
                          • Total Posts: 413

OOOOO! This sounds cool!

I have lived in C.A., I.L. (a bit outside Chicago), and K.Y. in my short lifespan. So if you have some questions, then I can give answers!

Also, I am learning lots about government and will gladly give you tips for creating one for your world.

@abigail-m
                          , do you have any Ancient Greek name suggestions? I want to give my sci-fi world some bases in that culture, so if anyone else knows, feel free to give me some tips!

I also know some limited information about race horses, dog breeds, and Tintagel Castle (one of my favorite ancient ruins!).

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 1379

@gracie-j

Thank you! I’ve always loved my culture and being interracial and all that. I would be happy to look over any Spanish dialogue you’d like checked.

Gracie J.
                            @gracie-j

@abigail-m Great! It’s called Gabbing With Grace (https://www.graceajohnson.com/blog). You just let me know if you’d like to do a post and you can shoot me an email at graceajohnson.author@gmail.com!

@issawriter7
                              XD I can’t wait to read what you find!!

@r-m-archer
                              May I ask what your views are on predestination? (I’m always thirsty for theological debate…which will probably do more harm than good someday. XD) I also LOVE talking about education, particularly from a psychological standpoint, although I have no psychological training. That will change.

I may come to you for my mythological inquiries when the time is right!

@e-k-seaver
                              Actually, your “weirdness” may come in handy, because I’ve got quite a few stories that I’m entwining some Greek mythology into!

I may come to you for some Civil War fact-checking one day!

Issabelle Perry
                              @issawriter7
                                • Total Posts: 976

@gracie-j

I hope it’s okay, but I checked out your site!!! It’s AWESOME!!!!! <33 I like the name “Gabbing with Grace.” Neat!!

God gives His hardest battles to His strongest soldiers.
                                TeenWritersNook.com

R.M. Archer
                                @r-m-archer
                                  • Total Posts: 243

@gracie-j Ahhhh, straight to the point of theology that most people don’t like me for. XD I firmly believe in predestination and I can debate it all day. Which is part of why it’s now a more-or-less off-limits topic in another of my Christian writing groups, because a small handful of us kept having the same debate over and over and everyone got tired of it. XD I actually have a summary (ish… it’s still kind of long XD) of why I believe what I believe on predestination.

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >