Writing Different Cultures/Religions/ETC

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writing Different Cultures/Religions/ETC

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    ella
    @nova21
      • Total Posts: 604

@r-m-archer

Ah, predestination…  I believe in it (so don’t start formulating an awesome argument to rip mine apart, lol), but it’s a constant argument at my school.  I’ll definitely be reading that article to see if I can try and persuade some people… 😉

what we do in life echoes in eternity
      -gladiator, 2000

ella
      @nova21
        • Total Posts: 604

@gracie-j

Hmm, not much I can contribute, but, let’s see…

-sports, health, active lifestyle tips 🥕🏋️‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏀

-brainstorming powers 🦸‍♀️

-endless supply of book ideas, names, and themes 📚

-super tight sister-bond… ? 😄

So ya, that’s all I got for now.  Super cool topic!!!!!!!!!!

what we do in life echoes in eternity
        -gladiator, 2000

R.M. Archer
        @r-m-archer
          • Total Posts: 243

@nova21 Oh, cool! It’s always exciting to find people who agree, since I find I’m usually in the minority on that issue. XD I hope the article helps. ;D

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Singer. Worldbuilding enthusiast.

Gracie J.
          @gracie-j
            • Total Posts: 1789

@r-m-archer Thanks for sharing your article! I enjoy reading other people’s opinions. Most of the time. Eh, it depends. XD

I wouldn’t say you’re in the minority. I have plenty of family members who believe in predestination. I also have plenty of relatives who believe the earth is flat, so maybe that’s not saying much. Wait. Do we have any flat-earthers here? *backs away slowly*

@nova21
            Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

R.M. Archer
            @r-m-archer

@gracie-j I don’t know how the balance looks overall, but in the groups I end up in I’m usually one of around half a dozen Calvinists. Which leads to fun debates. ;D But yeah. XD

Gracie J.
              @gracie-j
                • Total Posts: 1789

@r-m-archer I don’t doubt it!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Abigail.M.
                @abigail-m
                  • Total Posts: 1242

@scoutfinch180

Names are my specialty;)

Some good examples of Greek girls names would include:

Acacia (meaning: thorny tree).
                  Adora (meaning: gift, beloved, adored).
                  Charissa (meaning: grace).
                  Euphrosyne (meaning: joy).
                  Vasiliki (meaning: royal).

Some boys names would be:

Andreas (meaning: strong).
                  Cletus (meaning: glory).
                  Evangelos (meaning: good).
                  Lambros (meaning: bright).
                  Takis (meaning: glory).

Below, I added a link that has an ample supply of Greek names. But you’ll notice that it won’t list their meanings, so all you have to do to find out is type,  ‘what does the name (insert name) mean,’ into your search engine and it should tell you or lead you to a website that will. Very rare do I come across names that don’t have a specific meaning to them.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Writing_Adolescent_Fiction/Character_names/Greek

Scoutillus Finch
                  @scoutfinch180
                    • Total Posts: 413

@abigail-m

Thanks!

We crazy people are the normal ones.

Linyang Zhang
                    @devastate-lasting
                      • Total Posts: 1700

@r-m-archer Not sure why my post didn’t go through ahh… Well, which cultures are you looking to combine? Japanese and Korean cultures stem from Chinese culture…so combining/not combining shouldn’t be that much of an issue…one thing that I think would give authenticity is that in most Asian cultures, (at least these three) the family name comes before the given name. Are there any other specifics that I can help you with? I could probably answer you better that way…

Lately, it's been on my brain
                      Would you mind letting me know
                      If hours don't turn into days

R.M. Archer
                      @r-m-archer

@devastate-lasting I started with Vietnamese and then pulled in some Japanese and Chinese. I did adjust the names in a recent draft so that they reflected that pattern. Are there titles of respect (e.g. “Mrs.,” “Mr.”) in those cultures, and if so would they go before a surname like in English? Or would there be a different configuration?

I also pulled in the etiquette of always removing shoes at the door, which I know is at least a Japanese thing. (It occurs to me, though, I should probably figure out a cultural reason for that within my world.)

Linyang Zhang
                        @devastate-lasting

@r-m-archer In Japanese there are honorifics, most commonly “-san” to denote Mr./Mrs./Ms., so for example, I would be called “Zhang-san”, I think. In Chinese we use “xian sheng” for “Mr.”, and it’s usually formatted as “surname” + “honorific”.

Shoes are pretty much removed almost everywhere in the world. My family does it as well. Typically we take them off and put on slippers around the house. It’s usually to keep the floors clean.

Hope this helps!

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice
                            • Total Posts: 3365

@r-m-archer @gracie-j

I have a very academic friend who got into a “debate” (I think it was friendly?? but definitely heated) with his bible study on the topic of predestination (they were mostly for, he was against) and ever since then it’s been a banned topic amongst my fellow youth leaders, because he’s so passionate about it. My church does lean very heavily Armenian though, so I’ve certainly grown up with biases against Calvinism. Honestly though, I think there’s no clean cut answer and God is so much higher than us that we are both predestined and have the free will to choose for ourselves.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Abigail.M.
                            @abigail-m
                              • Total Posts: 1242
                              R.M. Archer
                              @r-m-archer

@devastate-lasting Thanks! I think the hyphenated suffix would work well with the rest of the language I’ve got. Is the Japanese suffix attached to the surname or first name?

Yeah, I think America is probably weird in that it’s not a purely expected thing. XD It’s common, but I think not as consistent as in other places? (I generally take my shoes off, too.)

@seekjustice
                                Friendly-but-heated is a good description of how the debates on predestination tend to go in my other group, lol.

[quote quote=90333]Honestly though, I think there’s no clean cut answer and God is so much higher than us that we are both predestined and have the free will to choose for ourselves.[/quote]

Don’t know if you read the article I shared? But I think you’re sort of touching on the idea that I illustrated as an author and a book character. There are two levels of control, and on the one hand the author is the one pulling the strings, and on the other hand the character has agency in their story.

Linyang Zhang
                                @devastate-lasting

@r-m-archer It ought to be attached to the surname. @libby knows a lot more about Japanese culture than I do, so you can always check with her as well!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >