Database for Information

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Database for Information

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Naomi H
    @jbb
      • Total Posts: 21

I thought it might be beneficial for us writers to see who we could come to for advice on different situations or topics. For example, if Jane Doe knows a lot about extreme weather, she could post that here so other writers could message her if they need advice on hurricanes.
      I hope that makes sense to you!

As for me, I am knowledgeable about forensic science and crime scene investigation. I also have a source for dysfunctional extended family relations, specifically manipulation and favoritism. So. . . . .if you need advice on any of those things, just let me know!

Feel free to comment below on subjects you have experience in or are knowledgeable about along with any questions you might have for anyone!

Jenna Terese
      @jenwriter17
        • Total Posts: 2522

@jbb This is an awesome idea! 😀

I guess I could say I’m knowledgeable about horses/the equestrian world. And also the homeschooling culture??? (not sure if that’s an actual research resource or not…)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Jenna Terese.

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
        www.jennaterese.com

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice
          • Total Posts: 3365

@jbb

Nice idea! I also know a lot about forensic science, though specifically I know about forensic pathology and cadaver dogs and the role they play in (usually) murder cases. How did you get interested in it?

However, my true areas of knowledge are dogs and animal training/behaviour (I have nationally recognised Australian qualifications in those areas).

And I have heaps of other niche interests too, like cryptids (I don’t believe in them, but I love the mystery and psychology behind it), dinosaurs, mythology, Australian history, and a bunch of other things.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Naomi H
          @jbb

@jenwriter17

That’s cool! I would say homeschooling culture would be a actual research resource.

@seekjustice

All my life I have been interested in forensic science. We had a book on the microscopic world and it had one page on forensic science. I was around eight years old when I practically memorized it because I read it so often! Actually, I am currently attending college to get a degree in chemistry. My eventual goal is to go into the forensic science field by getting a job at a crime laboratory. That shows you how much I like it! What got you interested in it?

Gracie J.
            @gracie-j
              • Total Posts: 1789

@jbb Okay, whoa, amazing idea!!!! I wish I’d had this, like, a year or so ago… Just let me breathe it in for a moment… *sucks in a deep, exaggerated, overly dramatic breath through her nose, before sniffling carefully* *exhales long, again through the nose, humming in her throat*

All right…I’m knowledgeable in names (as in, meanings, origins, when they were popular, etc., etc.), words (same deal…only with the addition of synonyms, and with the small assertion that it’s more “I’m knowledgeable of sites on the Internet on which I can find necessary information” than I’m just smart like that 😉), so for anyone writing historical, I would be beyond glad to help y’all authenticate your characters, narrative, and dialogue.

Again with the historical thing…clothing styles, dress codes, fashion of the era. I’m well-versed in that.

Despite being a “pirate writer,” I’m still getting acquainted with everything there is to know about that, but if anyone has questions, I can either answer them or direct you to answers.

(Gee…I’m starting to realize that I’m not real smart…)

The history of ballet. I’ve done, like, two speeches and an essay on that. Plus, I took for two years.

Then a smattering of other things–dumpster diving, home economics, cooking, country/Southern living, small towns, Southern history/culture, foreign (and USA dialectal) accents, agriculture, American history, how to treat a bullet wound in the shoulder when you have nothing but a shirt and whiskey (don’t ask), appearance discrimination, embalming, the murder of Kitty Genovese. (Yes, I’m naming random things I wrote about in college, in which case I can hand you an essay and a bunch of articles, so…) Art history and artistic techniques–visual, of course, with the addition of many resources and written works by yours truly. Being part of a large family. Romance. Communications. Psychology. Songs from the 1940-50s. Random historical facts and start/end dates of several wars. (This is a really weird list, and it can get weirder…)

All right, I take it back. I know a lot of things–it’s just a matter of finding them. 😋

Feel free, anyone, to pose whatever questions you have! Also, does anyone out there have any nautical knowledge, mystery-writing techniques, or history on the Nazi occupation of Italy, the Mafia, and Prohibition? And Ancient Persia (at the time of Jesus’ birth), the Persian language, and astronomy? (Another weird list for ya…)

@seekjustice
              I’ll definitely be asking some questions about forensics (as in murder cases) before long, once I get started on a mystery novel of mine!

Again, terrific idea, Naomi!

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

Naomi H
              @jbb

@gracie-j

I write in the mystery genre and have resources on the Nazi occupation in Italy. If you have any questions on either those subjects or anything else let me know!

@seekjustice

Are there any forensic science resources you would recommend (books, websites, podcasts, etc.)? I have spent probably close to hundreds of hours studying it so my resources are pretty much exhausted!

Gracie J.
                @gracie-j
                  • Total Posts: 1789

@jbb I will definitely let you know as questions come to me–thanks! If any of your resources are online, I’d appreciate it if you could send me the link–I’m collecting research for a future project.

the resident romance ghost; last seen within the pages of a gothic novel

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice
                    • Total Posts: 3365

@jbb

Wow, that’s quite amazing! I very briefly considered becoming a forensic pathologist, but to be honest the 12+ years of study put me off, so I’ve decided to become an occupational therapist instead, which is definitely a career swing.

I got interested in it through dogs. I’m a dog trainer and I read a book on training cadaver dogs and using them in murder investigations and the like. And I decided I wanted to be a cadaver dog handler (in Australia, this is a volunteer only position though, so I can’t make it my career unfortunately), so I started reading other books and things to better understand how the forensic side of criminal investigations worked, as well as the medical side of things, which got me interested in pathology in particular.

As for resources, I have a very niche interest so you may or may not be interested in the books I’ve read, however, far and away the best one was What the Dog Knows by Cat Warren. It’s an autobiography/non-fiction book about cadaver dogs, forensic science and death in general. Highly recommend it. Other than that, there’s also The Cadaver Dog Handbook which talks a lot about the process of decomposition, a lot of medical stuff, the science of serial killers, where to look for bodies and how to train dogs to search for them. I’ve also read Unnatural Causes by Dr Richard Shepherd, which was another very interesting book, which if you haven’t read, I think you’d definitely like it.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Linyang Zhang
                    @devastate-lasting
                      • Total Posts: 1700

@jbb I suppose I am knowledgeable about Asian culture, specifically Chinese culture. If you need help on names or something do tag me, because one thing that annoys me extremely is when I read a book and the names are unreadable.

I guess you could also tag me for music and math. Don’t ask me about too advanced math, though.

Oh, and I also have a bit of an interest in organized crime, so I guess you could ask me things about that, too.

So…yeah. 🙂

Lately, it's been on my brain
                      Would you mind letting me know
                      If hours don't turn into days

E. K. Seaver
                      @e-k-seaver
                        • Total Posts: 344

I know a lot about the American Civil War, WWI&II, Greek Mythology, being a pastor’s daughter, personality typing (MBTI, enneagram. *whispers* hogwarts houses), having sisters, southern (US) culture, an adequate knowledge of theater, violin, mermaid-related lore, astronomy, blogging, knitting, crocheting, swimming (on a swim team), lifeguarding, Chaing Mai (Thailand), some Hispanic culture, a decent bit of Spanish, lots of American history… erm. Yeah.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
                        ekseaver.wordpress.com

E. K. Seaver
                        @e-k-seaver
                          • Total Posts: 344

Oh! And anything Disney. Or being a party princess. Which falls under anything Disney. XD

The pen is mightier than the sword, but in a duel, I'm taking the sword.
                          ekseaver.wordpress.com

Libby
                          @libby
                            • Total Posts: 59

I’ve got some knowledge of traditional Japanese culture, or just Japanese culture in general.  Also with what it’s like to get serious concussions, go insane for a bit, and black out.  Some understanding of parts of African culture and Middle Eastern culture.  Also I’ve got a good amount of experience with classical piano as well as being the youngest child in a split culture family.  It’s awesome that you started this, @jbb – thanks for doing this : )

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Libby.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo

Ugroza
                            @ugroza
                              • Total Posts: 33

@jbb

You are interested in forensic science as well? I love anything to do with that topic. Do crime shows drive you crazy in regards to how they take care of evidence and the process?

Anonymous
                                • Total Posts: 1379

@jbb

This sounds like a great topic!

I’m knowledgeable on anything Bible (both Old and New Testaments). I’m your gal for Bible history, traditions, law, prophecy, Jews and Gentiles… all that good stuff!

I also know Spanish and a good bit of Hebrew, so I can help anyone with those languages in case anyone ever needs it.

Abigail.M.
                                @abigail-m
                                  • Total Posts: 1242

@jbb

This is a great idea!

I have some knowledge in:

Russian flora, fauna, weather.

Horses (I own one, so I also have knowledge about the joys, mishaps, and everything else a horse will put you through.)

Researching.

Farm animals.

All levels of survival and survival skills (including wilderness, urban and extreme survival).

The medicinal properties of birch trees.

Rare horse breeds of Russia.

Nature descriptions.

Kelpies.

Unicorns.

Veterinarian knowledge.

Spirit Riding Free.

Names (probably 50% of my writing research falls into researching character names, making sure the origins are correct, making sure they sound right, making sure they fit and aren’t redundant to other characters’ names and the like).

Clay sculpting.

Video making.

Anything from The Andy Griffith Show.

Other assorted things. If I remember any more, I’ll post them:)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Abigail.M..
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >