Writers' Corner #19

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #19

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 1,005 total)
  • Author
    Sink
    @sarah-anson
      • Total Posts: 117

@seekjustice @rochellaine

You guys have got quite the conversation going. 😉 It’s actually really interesting to read. Great points. 🙂

*vader vibes*

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@Rochellaine

Well, I guess if her husband just sees it as part of who she is, he’s less likely to want her to stop wearing it, so it sounds very effective to me 😛

No. No one at the church I go to wear any sort of covering and off the top of my head I can’t think of anyone else I know who would. I have some acquaintances who are devout Catholics and it wouldn’t suprise me if they did, but I don’t know them very well so I’m not sure.

But no. Maybe its less of a thing in Australia? Things here tend to be newer and less traditional.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice

@sarah-anson

Why thank you. Its been on my mind a bit so I thought I’d discuss it.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine
            • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice 😀

Even though we go to a Baptist church most of the circles we move in include very traditional reformed Calvanist(ic) type churches, so that might explain some of it.  Another explanation could be that we live very near “Amish Country” which is what we call Lancaster Pennsylvania and areas surrounding it.  Did you know of the large Amish/Mennonite population in and around Pennsylvania?

Because of the ministry we also travel a lot and meet people from many different backgrounds.  😉

@sarah-anson
              Hello!!  Haven’t seen you in a while.  How are you?

Yeah, interesting discussion. 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I did know that most of the Amish/Mennonite population was around there, because all the Christian Amish fiction takes place, predominantly, in Pennsylvania. Also, ages ago I guessed that you lived in Pennsylvania, and I wasn’t that far wrong.

I’m not even sure if Australia has an Amish community. It certainly isn’t as public as America’s.

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@seekjustice All the Christian Amish fiction?  I thought you didn’t read romance. 😛

Ah, I see.

Actually, most of the people I know who wear head coverings aren’t Amish or Mennonite, though.  Usually they wear them I think because they read the head covering passage and decided that was what they should do, just like my mom.  So it’s not just for “traditional” reasons.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I read the blurbs 😛 I actually have read a few, never on purpose but usually because I’m promised an awesome retelling or medieval book…and it turns out to be a romance. and I’m too stubborn to stop reading half way through it (the only reason I ever stop reading a book is if I have moral problems with it. I just hate half finishing books)

Hmm…that’s interesting. Not something I’d ever heard of though

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@seekjustice

I read the blurbs

Haha!  That reminds me of a quiz I took a few days ago.  It was one of those things that says “we’ll guess your education level by which books you’ve read.”  You know what I mean?  Well, anyway, I had possibly read two or three of the fifty or so books on the list, but I was able to answer something like 95 percent of the questions correctly simply because I’d read about the books and knew what happened in them.  Books like Les Mis or Crime and Punishment.  So, the quiz decided that I had a doctorate.  Yay for me! 😛

This is a conversation I really want to continue later, (head coverings, not books 🙂 ) since it’s very interesting, but my brother’s playing the piano and I’m going to go see if I can sing with him, so goodbye for now! (Probably won’t be back tonight, but you never know! 😉 )

(Yes…my brother is playing the piano at midnight.  Apparently I’m not the only person in the world who likes to stay up late. 😛 )  Talk to you later!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                    @seekjustice

@rochellaine

A doctorate? Well… 😀 I truly do go along and read the blurbs of Christian romance novels. 😛 Its a fascinating and utterly useless hobby.

Sure! I’d be happy to pick this up again whenever you see fit. Goodnight!

Ariel Ashira
                      @ariel-ashira
                        • Total Posts: 739

@rochellaine @seekjustice

Christian Amish romance novels? *gags* Please tell me you don’t read that stuff!

This conversation is great, BTW.  Both of your views are interesting.  In Missouri we lived near many menonite communities, so this came up sometimes with friends we had.

"In a mask, was he?"

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice

@ariel-ashira

Ah, no my dear Ariel. I only read the blurbs 😛

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Are you around today?

I’m assuming no one else will be, but if any of you are still awake, feel free to join me.

Rochellaine
                            @rochellaine

@seekjustice Hey, I’m awake…barely. 😛

Whatcha doin’? (Proof that I am half asleep: I am using improper English) (proof that I am half awake: I am using the correct spelling and punctuation for the incorrect English) (proof that I am a writer: I am giving a long explanation of what types of words I use).

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                              @seekjustice

@Rochellaine

😀 you’re welcome to go to  bed if you so desire (however I am half asleep as well and its  only mid afternoon)

Researching gender roles. Out of all the groups in the world, you’d think that Christians would be the best at agreeing. *sigh*

Rochellaine
                                @rochellaine

@seekjustice Well, I’m not actually falling asleep yet.  I’m just a bit sleepy.  But, as always, I might randomly disappear on you. 😀

Ah! 😀 😀 😛  Why in the world would you think that?  Think of all the jokes about putting ministers of different denominations in the room together.

Personally, I would rather not look at what people have to say until I’ve read the actual biblical passages literally and thoroughly.

Sort of like what you did with the head covering question.  Just go to the Bible first, and try your best to figure it out for yourself with prayer, then see what other folks have to say if you need more insight.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 1,005 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >