Writers' Corner #19

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #19

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 1,005 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine
      • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice Are you prepared for a rant?  If not, I’ll hold back, but I’m in a ranting mood. 😛

(Warning, it’s about romance cliches, which you might or might not enjoy a rant about… 😉 )

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@Rochellaine

I would never hold anyone back from ranting on romance cliches, as long as I’m able to rant too. 😛

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine

@seekjustice Well then!  Here I go. 😛

So, I was just reading a book and I knew this guy was about to propose.  So for the last few pages I was just mentally begging him “please do not get down on your knee.  Please do not get down on your knee!” And, a few pages later, what does he do?  He defies my perfectly reasonable request and plops down on his boring and unimaginative knee to make a boring and unimaginative proposal.  I threw up my hands and exclaimed “seriously?!” and then burst out laughing at myself.  But before I had calmed down enough to burst out laughing I had already opened this page to send you a request:

Please, if there is any possibility of Justice at some point in the unseen-as-yet future proposing to his dear Chessy…does he have to get down on his knee?

😛 Anyway, most people seem to think that because I’m old fashioned and like a lot of cliches that I’d enjoy a “he went down on one knee and looked up at her, his eyes bright with unshed tears” sort of proposal.

I do not.

Anyway, I don’t think it is old fashioned to like a proposal like that.  I think that’s a new fad that’s come up in all the books and movies of the 21st century when it used to be something that was only used as a joke and throw-back to Medieval days.  Seriously, just take for example Almanzo’s proposal to Laura in LHOTP or any of the proposals in Little Women!  “Would you like an engagement ring?” “I’d like to row through life with you” None of those guys had to go down on their knees, and they were quite romantic enough.

Well, how’s that for a rant?  And what are your opinions on the subject matter? 😉

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice

@Rochellaine

Sorry I had to go do some housework so I had to wait till just now to read your rant, which was quote an enjoyable rant to read 🙂

Don’t worry, Justice wouldn’t propose on one knee. In fact, I do have a proposal scene planned out though I haven’t decided whether to use it or not. Its rather…unconventional.

As to the practice of one-kneeing, I’d honestly never thought about it. I do find it all rather sappy, but that’s my view on all romance cliches. One of the most interesting proposals I know of was in the tv show Victoria, because Queen Victoria had to propose to Albert rather than the traditional other way around. Thankfully, she didn’t go down on one knee 😛

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine

@seekjustice A proposal scene already planned out? 😛  I also have one for two lesser characters in one of my novels.  It is, likewise, quite unconventional.  I believe I have written one proposal scene so far, and it was set in the 1800s so basically he asked her brother, then called her in and said something like, “your brother is willing, so will you marry me?”  😛 😛

Oh yeah, and her brother asked her first, I think, then the guy did…

Ah…Nope.  I’m not that unconventional.  I am of the opinion that a woman asking the man is bold and forward and unfeminine and it should be done only under the most extenuating circumstances. (Such as the one you described, of course.) and even then I don’t like it, I just tolerate it. 😉

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Ah yes, I do. As I said, I don’t know if I will use it, but I shame-facedly admit that I do have it planned.

I think mine is slightly more unconventional 😛 but I don’t want to tell you about it because it would give away most of the ending.

I think Victoria found it a bit forward too 😀 Of course, you can’t just have random German fellows going around and proposing to the queen 😛

valtmy
                @valtmy
                  • Total Posts: 732

@seekjustice @rochellaine

Hi. There’s no work today so I’ll be on 🙂 though I’ll have to go off for a little while soon…

That proposal rant though… 😛

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@seekjustice Oh, I was talking about two separate proposal scenes. 😛  The one I described is in a published book, and I consider it to be quite conventional. 😉  The other one is a hypothetical proposal scene which I haven’t written yet, only noted the idea for.  That one is much more unconventional.  Actually, I’m not sure whether it actually will count as a proposal scene…maybe a semi-proposal? 😀

Now you may be even more confused with “this one, that one, which one,” so, if you are… sorryyyy! 😛

But what I was trying to say was no, I don’t consider that proposal I described to be unconventional in the slightest.  I actually think it’s about as conventional as you can get. 😉

@valtmy
                    😀 😀 So, what’s your opinion?  Is it more romantic if a guy proposes on his knee or not?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

valtmy
                    @valtmy
                      • Total Posts: 732

@rochellaine

I think the going on the knee thing is just really weird. And unoriginal. So my answer is no.

SeekJustice
                      @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Yes, you have confused me, but I shall move on with life.

@valtmy

Hello there!

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice

@rochellaine @valtmy

I just looked up unique ways to propose to someone and some of them were absolutely hilarious.

One of them was to play a trivia game and then casually ask Will you marry me? As one of the trivia questions. Or to get a specially printed jigsaw puzzle and ask the intended to put it together.

Rochellaine
                          @rochellaine

@seekjustice Okay, well, rest assured that I have come up with an unusual proposal for one of my novels.  I’m just not telling you what it is yet. 😛

Haha!  That’s along the line of the unconventional proposals I was thinking of.  However, I don’t like the ideas much personally.  I would prefer a simple and sweet proposal, just so long as it doesn’t involve the guy getting down on the knee.  How about you?  Would you prefer an unconventional and kind of weird proposal like the ones you described?

@valtmy
                            Yeah, so unimaginative, right??

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                            @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Awww 😛

I wouldn’t like a particularly weird one like those examples because I would probably see through it right away and then just get annoyed. I would like the guy just to be frank and practical. “Would you marry me?” would be sufficient. Of course, all this would be done without pleading or tears or any of the other sappy things that make me roll my eyes.

SeekJustice
                              @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Then again, my slightly more sentimental side likes the idea of the flower language that Sapphire and Quillon use. But it would still be simple. I’m sure there’s a flower that means “marry me”.

Rochellaine
                                @rochellaine

@seekjustice Yes, the worst thing for me in a book or movie proposal is when the guy goes on for five minutes saying things like “you’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me, I love you from the depths of my heart.  God has blessed me with you and I know that I will find happiness if you will grant me the right to spend the rest of my life with you.  You are beautiful inside and out and everything I could ever dream of in a woman…”

…and then you wonder if he’s ever going to get around to asking her to marry him, and you feel sorry for the girl, who was ready to say “yes” when he said the first two words, but now has to wait for the longest time while he rattles off a long poem to her loveliness…

Yeah.  Totally agree.  That’s so annoying.  I mean, those are all really sweet things to say, and he could say them some other time, but the proposal should be short and to the point.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Viewing 15 posts - 766 through 780 (of 1,005 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >