Writers' Corner #19

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ General Writing Discussions ā€ŗ Writers' Corner #19

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,005 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

@valtmy

The only thing I would say in rebuttal to what youā€™ve said in your comments though, is that I had quite heavily based the world on the world of the Great Depression. Thatā€™s part of the reason thereā€™s such a divide between the rich and the poor and also in the technology. In the Great Depression, the people were living in a world that was technologically advanced (compared to the Victorian era beforehand), aeroplanes had been invented and were just coming into popular use, cars were becoming more and more common, toasters, vacuum cleaners, telephones, electric lights, all the things we think of as staples of a household today. But because of the recession, a lot of these things werenā€™t widely available. While the knowledge and theory was there, the technology itself often wasnā€™tā€“at least among the lower class.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

valtmy
      @valtmy
        • Total Posts: 732

@seekjustice

Oh. There wasnā€™t much elaboration on the Great Collapse though so I didnā€™t notice any nods towards to the Depression and didnā€™t make the connection but Iā€™m sort of seeing it nowā€¦?

But how long ago was the Collapse? I understand if thereā€™s technological regression in the immediate aftermath and the next decade or so. But the story says that itā€™s been two hundred years? Or is it within Jeanā€™s lifetime?

Either way it doesnā€™t seem like thereā€™ll be such tech decline and stagnation for so long as to last until the events of the story. And I donā€™t think that there are any civil wars that happened that disrupted tech advances.

I understand that WW2 really drove a boost in tech levels but given that all the knowledge and discoveries are already there, I donā€™t see whatā€™s stopping this new future society from advancing. I mean, can you imagine the rich kids in this society reading about how we have smartphones, gaming systems and virtual reality etc. and not demanding to have all these as well? Given Chessyā€™s age, thereā€™s been at least two decades of stable government and peacetime to allow tech to flourish. I understand if the government has been actively suppressing tech advancements because they celebrate the ā€œgood old daysā€ or something.Ā But this society is one focused on the ā€œfutureā€ (whatever that means).

I understand the lower classes not having access to these things. But Chessyā€™s home life as a middle class person doesnā€™t seem all different from what we have now. And the guy harassing Sapphire doesnā€™t seem to have anything else better to do (whereā€™s his entertainment?). The guards, most importantly, seem even less equipped than our modern police forces.

It really comes down to this: what are the political and economic systems that exist in this society? Does it make sense for there to be long-term tech regression and stagnation in such a society?

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice

@valtmy

I realise that šŸ™‚ though things like the ā€œPremierā€™s Billā€ which Lang gets assassinated over, were things that really happened in Australia during the Depression (though no one was assassinated, as far as I know).

I definitely think that in order to do better worldbuilding for this story, I need to do some amount of study on economics and politics.

As for the speedway having been closed two hundred years, that must be either a typo or a mind blank on my behalf. The story is set 146 years in the future and the speedway currently isnā€™t closed, people are still ā€œbreaking their necksā€ there, so it doesnā€™t fit with the timeline of the story. Iā€™ll have to fix that.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

valtmy
          @valtmy

@seekjustice

Yes, thatā€™s a good idea. First decide what political and economic system you are trying to critique for your dystopia. Iā€™m thinking capitalism/oligarchy based on what Iā€™ve read so far (neither of which would justify the tech regression and stagnation).

Especially for the police force. The rich have every incentive so supply ample resources and equipment for the police force that is guarding their very own district. Even real-life regimes that suppress tech only do so for the common populace but give advanced tech to their security forces and those in privileged circles (how else do you think, ahem, certain despotic leaders watch and enjoy international sporting events and entertainment?).

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice

@valtmy

Iā€™ll hunt down some books on that then, and set to work reading them while my beta readers finish off the document and Iā€™ve already started doing some serious worldbuilding. I see that as my main things to tackle in the next draft šŸ˜€ Thanks for all your input!

Catwing
              @catwing
                • Total Posts: 2557

@seekjustice @jenwriter17 @alia @valtmy @rochellaine I am writing my book!
                Also I have a poll thingie on my blog if any of you guys wanta do you can. šŸ™‚
                Post link to find the poll. So you can see the blog and then play with the questions.

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17
                  • Total Posts: 2522

@catwing I canā€™t come on right now, but I was planning on doing your poll thing soon. šŸ™‚

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                  www.jennaterese.com

Catwing
                  @catwing

@jenwriter17 Okay. šŸ™‚

@seekjustice
                    @rochellaine @alia @dekreel @valtmy Iā€™m writing now.
                    Also last Wednesday was my first Kapeeferversary. *throws feathers* Iā€™ve been on here a year. šŸ˜€

Catwing
                    @catwing

Iā€™ll probably be on til 10 something EST

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine
                        • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice The spy museum had lots of really cool spy gadgets that felt like they were right out of James Bond. šŸ˜€Ā  There was a glove pistol, and umbrella gun, a bugged shoe (radio in the heel) and stuff like that.Ā  Also a lot of stories of spies.Ā  There was one guy who created a whole fake spy network, fooling the enemy into thinking it was real, and distracting them from the real spies.Ā  He made up background stories, fake handwriting, and different personalities for 25 different characters, and sent fake messages back and forth.Ā  Sound like fun?Ā  It does to me! šŸ˜‰

Anyway, the reason I havenā€™t been on much lately is because Iā€™m currently in Nevada, at a law school conference.Ā  Also, thereā€™s a three hour time difference, so right now itā€™s actually only seven oā€™clock, instead of ten.Ā  But the conference schedule is pretty busy and I have to study during the times when Iā€™m not in class, so I havenā€™t been doing any writing.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Catwing
                        @catwing

@rochellaine Sounds very intriguingā€¦ Spies. šŸ˜€

Jenna Terese
                          @jenwriter17

@catwing Yay for yourĀ Kapeeferversary!!! šŸ˜€ Congrats!

now that I think about it, Iā€™m actually not quite sure how long Iā€™ve been hereā€¦I know I started a ā€˜belated helloā€™ topic in January of 2018.

www.jennaterese.com

Catwing
                            @catwing

@jenwriter17 Thanks. Iā€™m surprised I kept a record (cause normally I donā€™t end up keeping one.)

December? *shrug*

Also It is nearly 11 so I have to sleep now. Good night.

Jenna Terese
                              @jenwriter17

@catwing @seekjustice @rochellaine @alia @ariel-ashira @kaya-young @skredder @dekreel @dragon-snapper @clairec @valtmy

Hi! Iā€™m outlining and reading Seekjusticeā€™s book. Anyone wanna join me?

www.jennaterese.com

valtmy
                                @valtmy

@jenwriter17

I may have time for a whileā€¦ Not writing though and Iā€™ve already reviewed @seekjusticeā€™s book šŸ˜›

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 1,005 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >