Writers' Corner #18

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #18

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 943 total)
  • Author
    valtmy
    @valtmy
      • Total Posts: 732

@seekjustice

It’s OK. Considering all the things I’m going to put my characters through, I think I am just as bad if not worse than you. Let’s concern @rochellaine together 😛

Ooh what are you watching? I’m watching a teaser trailer of a Korean television show. It was from quite a while ago but the actor I like is just so adorable in it I can’t help myself 😊

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@valtmy

Poor @rochellaine 😀 She isn’t quite on board with the torturing/killing of characters yet. But we still love her 😛

I was watching a girl rant about The Greatest Showman, but I got bored so now I’m listening to German musicals.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

valtmy
        @valtmy

@seekjustice

Meanwhile, there’s only so much lack-of-death we can take 😛 I guess it’s good that my WIP is not really a romantic comedy otherwise I would not have been able to get you to help me beta read at all.

German musicals? I have watched quite a few musicals but I don’t think I ever heard of any German musicals in particular.

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice

@valtmy

Yes, definitely. Not that I like killing characters. Not at all. I must have been thinking of someone else’s WIP when I thought yours was a comedy. Either that or I just heard romantic parody and assumed it must be comedic because parodies usually are.

Oh yes, I adore German musicals. Particularly Mozart (the one I’m listening to currently), Schikaneder, The Count of Monte Cristo, Elisabeth and some others 😀 What musicals have you listened to/seen?

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

valtmy
            @valtmy

@seekjustice

My WIP is a comedy. But it is also tragic. A tragicomedy. Laugh at my MC’s pain or cry at it. Both are acceptable. 😛

The musicals I’ve watched are pretty mainstream and mostly what I’ve seen on West End. Les Mis, Phantom, Wicked, Matilda, Legally Blonde, 42nd Street (as strange as it sounds, I got my story idea while watching this)…

SeekJustice
              @seekjustice

@valtmy

Right…I have to say I have never tried anything of the sort, so… 😀

All cool musicals! Particularly Les Mis :D. I haven’t heard of 42nd Street though.

valtmy
                @valtmy

@seekjustice

Haha I just have been getting really sick of all the stories that try to be dark and edgy and take themselves way too seriously so I’m going for a different tone. Bad things happen, yes, but I am trying to maintain hope and retain a sense of humour.

42nd Street is basically a Broadway show about Broadway set during the Great Depression and it is about a small town girl becoming a star. It’s not a deep show by any measure and the characters and story are flat. Most of the singing and dancing is there for spectacle rather than advancing the plot or conveying any meaning. But there is a lot of energy to it and it has a vibe that I wish to carry over.

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice

@valtmy

That’s good! There’s some books/shows I see and I just get dragged down and depressed by how dark they are. While straight-up comedy annoys me, I love humour in stories, particularly when they are very heavy (probably why I adore Charles Dickens)

Ah, interesting! I’ll have to look into it 😀

Catwing
                    @catwing
                      • Total Posts: 2557

@rochelaine @jenwriter17 @alia @kaya-young @dekreel @dragon-snapper @ethryndal @warrenluther04
                      I am finally back! Finally rewriting my poor novel. Anyone else?

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Catwing
                      @catwing

I am still here…
                        oops I messed up your tag @rochellaine

Rochellaine
                        @rochellaine
                          • Total Posts: 3322

@catwing Hey!  Sorry I didn’t see this until now…my tag didn’t work and I didn’t get an email.  I’m here now, though!  I guess you probably aren’t anymore, but if you are, it’s so nice to see you again!

@seekjustice
                          @valtmy Sorry people, I fell asleep early last night.  Like, really early.  Right after family worship.  My sister texted me at 11:45 and my brother texted me at 12:00 and I didn’t get their texts until I woke up this morning, so you’re not the only people I accidentally ignored! 😛  My sister says she came in around 12:00 when I didn’t answer her text and saw that I was sound asleep. 😮 😛

Haha, I read your conversation.  Listen, I gave Chara 2nd degree burns, okay??  I mean, I didn’t let her get scarred for life – or even for more than a few days – but, come on!  I’m progressing, am I not?  And wait until you read Daughter of Judas!  I’m really excited about that one.  (No, that was totally not a hint of future danger to my character.  Not at all.  Huh-uh, Bathshua, don’t listen.)

I doubt I’ll ever be as horrible to my characters as SeekJustice is, however.  And that’s possibly a good thing… 😉 haha.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
                          @rochellaine

@catwing Oh!  you are still here. 😛  Halloo.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Catwing
                            @catwing

@rochellaine Heyo! Nice to see you again too!
                              Yeah, I haven’t been on here much lately because I was dragging my feet on my rewriting process. 😛

Catwing
                              @catwing

I just realized you may have left now… @rochellaine ah well. I got into plotting! I have to decide which character is going to have the third POV since I may have Cele wait till the second book, and then Jack could be in the First cause he seems like he could be fun.

Rochellaine
                                @rochellaine

@catwing Well, I kind of left.  Unintentionally. 😉  My little sister called me to help her with a sewing project, and then I decided to make peanut butter cups… random, I know. 😛

But I’m back now.

Plotting!  What fun.  I love plotting, except, when I plot my books they never get written.  It’s only the ones that I write spontaneously that I finish. 🙁  That’s actually a theory which has been tested and tried, and I’m disappointed in the results because I feel like my books would be way better if I was able to plot them.

I had a POV problem recently too.  I wanted to have book with only one POV, but then I thought it might be better with two, so then I had four characters lined up to audition for the second POV. 😛  How many POVs do you prefer to write with?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 943 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >