Writers' Corner #15

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #15

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 1,010 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

@Rochellaine

Hey! I can’t be on the internet for long but I’ll be around for 1/2 hr.

What you working on? I’m glad you liked it. Its a pretty cool book, I really need to do a reread of it!

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice Hello!  Okay, I’ll be getting off pretty soon too, anyway.  I’m officially working on my western and unofficially on a short story. 🙂  How about you?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I’m working on my novel and also replying to some of the comments you guys have made.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

J.A. Penrose
          @jess-penrose
            • Total Posts: 377

@rochellaine Hi!

I’m composing right now, not writing words, but notes.

AND OH YES. How could I have forgotten the Billabong books??? They are so good! And yes. You also should read our poetry. *nodnod* That’s what I think we’ve done the best.

Writer | Freelance Editor
            Inspiration&lt

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine
              • Total Posts: 3322

@jess-penrose Hello!  Cool!  What kind of music do you compose?  My brother is a classical style composer.

Seekjustice recommended that I read poetry by Banjo Patterson and Henry Lawson. 🙂

@seekjustice
              I’m going to get off now, and I guess you won’t be here when I get back.  Jess, I might be back in about an hour for a little bit if you’re still here.

Bye for now!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

J.A. Penrose
              @jess-penrose

@rochellaine At the moment I’m composing baroque, but I generally compose modern melodic pieces for more song-like instruments. (woodwind, strings.) That or I do fun film music-y style things.

Inspiration&lt

J.A. Penrose
                @jess-penrose

@rochellaine And I’m actually about to leave to catch a bus, so bye also! (And I maaay be around in a bit. Depends on if the random wifi turns up or not. )

Inspiration&lt

SeekJustice
                  @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Bye 🙂

@jess-penrose
                    that’s really cool! I can’t even play an instrument, let alone compose music but it sounds like an amazing skill!

(Oh yes, I love Banjo. Henry Lawson not so much, but Banjo is awesome! What’s your favourite poem?)

I have to go now 🙂

J.A. Penrose
                    @jess-penrose

Well I am back and writing! (sorry no longer composing)

@seekjustice
                      Ah, I love all music and can play a few instruments, but I really enjoy composing. *claps happily* Alllllll of the fun creative outlets. *wilts slightly* Even if this one has condition because it is an assignment.

But anyways. Time to write.

Inspiration&lt

The fledgling Artist
                      @notawriter
                        • Total Posts: 328

@seekjustice
                        Im unable to access wordpress at the moment (our household has a add blocker thingy that interferes with certain websites sometimes) but ill have to remember to check it out at some point!

Don’t worry! Long posts don’t scare me! (as long as its a topic as interesting as writing 😀 )

A while back I had an idea for a retelling of Robin Hood with the main unique twist being that Robin would be the son of Prince John. And that even though they disagree with whats right/wrong they love eachother. Y’know instead of them being hated enemys trying to kill eatchother or something. But im reluctent to do anything with this idea (even though I really like it!) since as you said, it’s not the best idea to do retellings of super overdone stories like Robin Hood.
                        If I did something with it I would want to get a super good theme and message. Personally if it doesn’t have a really strong theme/message I don’t really think it worth writing. (but that’s just me)

So other then ‘don’t pick an overdone story’ do you have any other unspoken (or spoken) do’s and don’ts?

and I was so confused

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice

@notawriter

Ah, no worries! Those things can be annoying!

Okay, that is the coolest idea I’ve heard in forever. I think you should write it if you want to! The thing about Robin Hood is that there are a lot of Robin Hood books but not so many retellings, as in making a purposeful (and shocking!) twist to the story. I can only think of one Robin retelling that I’ve read and I think it was by Stephen Lawhead.

I’m also of the opinion that a story isn’t worth writing without a good theme and message, but I think you could do a lot with that plot.

Okay, some dos and don’ts.

DO make sure it’s in the public domain. That won’t be so much of problem for you because Robin Hood is in the public domain. But there are specific versions of Robin Hood that aren’t, like the BBC tv series (I’ve never seen that, by the way, just know of it’s existence so I’m mentioning it), so you’d have to be careful with what you base your story on, or you could potentially get in trouble if you tried to publish it. (the likelihood of that actually happening is pretty slim, unless you make a million dollars off your book, but it’s better safe than sorry!)

And DO try something different, which you already are! Either a really strange twist on a classic fairy tale, or a lesser known  story, but making Robin the son of the villain is a very clever twist. (Especially if Prince John was trying to take over England and crush all opposition, while the sheriff is trying to catch Robin and John is trying to stop him. It’d be gloriously chaotic and fun).

I can’t  think of any don’ts, because there really aren’t any don’ts, other than stay clear of copyright infringement. But I really like your story idea and I think you should write it. Robin Hood hasn’t been done all that much (actually, I just remembered two other Robin retellings, but they were both awful, so I wouldn’t worry about it!), but it’s a story that’s well known enough that people would want to read it. 😀 Good luck, and let me know if you start it 🙂

J.A. Penrose
                          @jess-penrose

Okay. I am writing.

Inspiration&lt

Skredder
                            @skredder
                              • Total Posts: 527

@jess-penrose Ahoy! I’m writing too. 🙂

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

J.A. Penrose
                              @jess-penrose

@skredder Oh yay! What are you working on?

Inspiration&lt

Skredder
                                @skredder
                                  • Total Posts: 527

@jess-penrose I’m working on Clouded Fury. What about you?

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 1,010 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >