Writers' Corner #15

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Writers' Corner #15

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 1,010 total)
  • Author
    Rochellaine
    @rochellaine
      • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice I think I researched the Seven Sleepers myth once, too, but not extensively. 🙂  It’s been a while since I read those books.   But…they really don’t have anything to do with the myth except the name, right?

I was literally trembling the whole way through the Cooper Kids The Door in the Dragon’s Throat when I read it probably five or six years ago.  But then, so was I when I read  The Magician’s Nephew. 😛  No, but, the Cooper Kids series range from near horror, like that first one, to very mild adventure, like the last one, Flying Blind.  Some of them would probably still freak me out, but I’m pretty easy to scare.

George MacDonald freaks me out too, but for a different reason.  I actually believe most of the stuff he wrote about could happen in real life so it seems even more real to me than a normal fantasy book would. (Though some of the Cooper Kids stuff could happen in real life too.)  Why did I start talking about this when it’s one o’clock in the morning?! 😛  I like Jules Verne okay, but when I read a book by him that sounded like it was going to end happy and then he killed the two main characters in the second-to-last paragraph with absolutely no reason when they could very easily have reached safety instead I got offended at his disregard for my feelings and stopped liking him so well.  Tell me I’m crazy, but that’s what happened.

Well, I’m getting pretty sleepy, so I’m just going to ask if you’ve read that passage yet, and if you have any comments before I go to bed? 🙂

…and…have you listened to any new musical songs lately?  You went to the library yesterday, right? (Maybe I can go to sleep thinking about singing instead of about George MacDonald’s ghosts. 😛 )

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice
        • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

No I don’t really think there’s much connection, its just the connotations.

I just remember that Franm Peretti terrified me and I’ve never gone near him since

As for MacDonald, I’ve only read the Princess and the Goblins and the Princess and Curdie, but I love those two books 🙂

I haven’t read that Verne book, it seems. Which one was it?

I liked the passage a lot. It does sound a bit like she’s lovestruck though. Rather than just embarrassed and torturing herself by recalling it over and again, she does sound like she’s just worried because she has a crush on him. Does that make sense? I’m not sure how you could change that though.

I listened to some of the Slipper and the rose yesterday. And I might have listened to What Comforting Thing to Know once or twice. Maybe three times. 😛

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
        @rochellaine

@seekjustice We don’t have either of the Princess and the Goblins books, but I’ve read the synopses of them online.  I actually watched the Shirley Temple show version of the Princess and the Goblins and loved it.  It’s really funny.  It’s not quite like the book, but it’s really very good.  The books by him I’ve read are more mature fantasy books than those two, which are children’s stories.  I read ones that my mom has, and they dealt with much heavier subjects.  I did like them pretty well.

The Pearl of Lima.  It’s basically a Romeo and Juliet story, set amongst the American Indians, but I truly thought they would survive until the last couple of paragraphs when they needlessly died, just like the original Romeo and Juliet! 🙁  I like Around the World in 80 Days because it has a double twist ending, where you think it ends bad and it turns out good anyway.  Have you read that?

Okay, I see what you’re saying.  I’ll see what I can do about that.  Though I think that a lot of teenage girls would think about whether a guy was handsome or not without calling it a “crush.” 😉  I’ll try to tone it down a bit.

Oh, hurrah! 😀  That song is the absolute best graveyard song ever, isn’t it? 😛

I’m going to say goodnight now.  See you I guess on…Monday for me and Tuesday for you unless you happen to be on here tomorrow.  Bye!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice
            • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

I haven’t read any of his adult ones, though they do sound quite interesting.

Ooh, interesting. I should have a look for that version!

Nope, I haven’t heard of that one. But yes, Around the World in Eighty Days is really good!

True. Sometimes I forget that I’m not a normal teenaged girl.

I know, its hilarious! I’m also super amused by the fact that Cinderella is literally watching the crown prince dancing on the tombs of his ancestors. But Tell Him is such a sad little song 🙁

Good night 🙂

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine

@seekjustice Oh my goodness, yes!  Tell Him Anything is a heartbreaking song!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Alia
              @alia
                • Total Posts: 1253

@rochellaine, you live an hour from DC? my family was just there last year…

are you on?

@ariel-ashira
                , @jenwriter17,

WIP - Decisions
                Kapeefer til we're old and grey

Ariel Ashira
                @ariel-ashira
                  • Total Posts: 739

@rochellaine @seekjustice A note on Frank Peretti: his Cooper kids adveture books are awesome.  I’ve read them over and over (really, try them again!) but please don’t read his adult books that have the spiritual world in them.  Not only are they far more terrifying than the cooper series, but the real danger is that they give you a wrong idea of the spiritual world.  Very incorrect.  It makes you want to pray to the angels, not God.  God is not even in the book, just angels.  It makes it sound like God (the angels, actually) might loose a crucial battle to the demons, as though God is not all powerful.  It is so close, and there is much truth in them, but the untruth is so hard to define from what is true that they become very detrimental.  I have read Piercing the Darkness, and my sister read that one as well as This Present Darkness, and we agree that although Frank Peretti is a top rate storyteller (no one could deny that!) he should not give people false ideas of how the spiritual world works.

But seriously – his cooper series is awesome! 😀

"In a mask, was he?"

Alia
                  @alia

@ariel-ashira, have you read his Veritas series? it only has two books, Hangman’s Curse and Nightmare Academy. its another teen series. A bit more in depth than the Cooper series, but more theologically sound than the adult books

WIP - Decisions

Ariel Ashira
                    @ariel-ashira

@alia No, I have not.  Are they pretty good?  Have you read any of his adult books?

"In a mask, was he?"

Alia
                      @alia

@ariel-ashira, they’re really good. I wish he had written more of them.

I started reading This Present Darkness a few years ago, but I think I was too young to understand it so I didn’t finish

WIP - Decisions

Ariel Ashira
                        @ariel-ashira

@alia Neat!  I will check them out sometime.  I didn’t know he had written more.

"In a mask, was he?"

Alia
                          @alia

@ariel-ashira, those two are amazing. definitely my favorite of his books

WIP - Decisions

Alia
                            @alia

anyone writing? @rochellaine, @ariel-ashira, @jenwriter17,

WIP - Decisions

Alia
                              @alia

anyone on yet?

@jenwriter17
                                , @ariel-ashira, @sam-kowal, @rochellaine,

WIP - Decisions

Rochellaine
                                @rochellaine

@alia I’m finally here!  Is it possible that you could be still somewhere around?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Viewing 15 posts - 976 through 990 (of 1,010 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >