What is the cringiest thing you’ve ever written?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions What is the cringiest thing you’ve ever written?

• This topic has 94 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Sara.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Cloaked Mystery
    @jonas
      • Total Posts: 2625

@mineralizedwritings

The magic cabinets are from the series 100 Cupboards by N. D. Wilson. Light’s story is a continuation of a story from the Wingfeather Tales book, which was some sort of crossover with 100 Cupboards.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
      ✨ Magic System Creator
      🎭 Character RPer
      📚 Appreciator of Books

MineralizedWritings
      @mineralizedwritings
        • Total Posts: 2803

@jonas

Ah, makes sense. I’m not actually sure I’ve read that XD

へびは かっこいい です!

Esther
        @esther-c
          • Total Posts: 3221

@lightoverdarkness6

🤣

@jonas

Oh have you read all of WFS?

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Cloaked Mystery
          @jonas

@esther-c

I have, but it’s been a while since I read any except the first book.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
            ✨ Magic System Creator
            🎭 Character RPer
            📚 Appreciator of Books

Esther
            @esther-c

@jonas

Ah, ok. What’d you think of it?

Cloaked Mystery
              @jonas

@esther-c

I remember liking it. In my opinion, the first one is decent, but not great, and each one gets better than the previous one. The last two especially were really good, although I don’t remember too much about them at this point XD.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                ✨ Magic System Creator
                🎭 Character RPer
                📚 Appreciator of Books

Esther
                @esther-c

@jonas

Yeah, that’s what I thought too. I think my mind broke at the last book when everything was explained and the story was ended. Like, I have never seen a plot like that before. XD

Cloaked Mystery
                  @jonas

@esther-c

We did them as a family read-aloud. That was probably at least seven years ago at this point. (We started to listen to the audiobook during long car rides a year ago, and we got through the first book and the first few chapters of the second, but for some reason, my younger brother was being obstinate about “not liking” them and we had to stop.)

But when we did them as a read-aloud, my dad was actually crying a bit at the conclusion of the climax, which I don’t think I ever saw before or since.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                    ✨ Magic System Creator
                    🎭 Character RPer
                    📚 Appreciator of Books

Esther
                    @esther-c

@jonas

Oh cool!

It was really good though, so I don’t blame him. XD What shocks me is that the series was the first books Andrew Peterson had ever written. And from the nonfiction he’s written, I think I’ve found out that he had everything planned from the beginning of writing them. (At least that’s what I understood. He never blatantly stated it.)

Cloaked Mystery
                      @jonas

@esther-c

I got that impression too.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                        ✨ Magic System Creator
                        🎭 Character RPer
                        📚 Appreciator of Books

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                        @kyronthearcanin
                          • Total Posts: 697

@hybridlore @mineralizedwritings @esther-c @lightoverdarkness6 @freedomwriter76 @trailblazer (just tagging the people that were on here recently XDXD)

Okay… so this is literally the first book I ever tried to write (Twelve Pearls). How did it reach over 300k without me realizing how cringey it was? I have no idea XD But honestly some parts of it are really funny, at least later on… but this is the beginning. This is the prologue where my MCs are young, so some of the weird dialogue was on purpose but not most of it lol…

Please keep in mind this is the first story I ever tried to write (repeating that lol) and that I was seven when I started it. * deep breath *

Alright, I’ll stop stalling…

________________________________________________________________

Kulgar raced through the trees, trying to keep up with Sol. Her golden scales glowed in the sunlight. She had grown faster every day after they started training under Kulgar’s grandfather, Warrick.

While Warrick mostly stayed in Moonwind, he visited a month at a time to teach them about ruling a kingdom, and how to protect it. Kulgar especially enjoyed battle training with Warrick. He and Sol would fight together, never winning, but always enjoying themselves.

Kulgar barely avoided flying straight into a tree. He had been so busy thinking he hadn’t paid any attention. “Wait up!” he called after Sol, but she just smiled and flew faster.

Then Kulgar winced as he heard Warrick bellow after them. “Get back here, you two! We aren’t done yet!” Sol and Kulgar sighed, but turned around to fly back to the palace.

This was Kulgar’s least favorite part of training: history of the kingdoms. It wasn’t that he didn’t like hearing about the different battles and heroes, but he couldn’t remember a single name.

“Before the Surge,” Warrick began, “There were three friends, two of them brothers. Do you know who these dragons are?” Kulgar’s mind drew a blank, but Sol answered.

“Zolryn, Nightfang, and Rothyn,” she said. Warrick nodded.

“During the Surge, we believe certain things happened. First of all, one of these friends became the Champion of Fire. I’ll let you figure out which one of them it was on your own.”
                          “Hold on,” Kulgar said. “What else happened?”

“Well, the friends were separated,” Warrick said. “Rothyn went on to become king of Moonwind, Zolryn became king of Sunfire, and Nightfang…” he didn’t finish. “Well, you know that part. The point is, the entire continent has been in chaos ever since.”

“Like Sunfire and Moonwind,” Sol said.

“And Crystalhaven,” Kulgar added.

“Right.” Warrick eyed the two of them. “Come with me. I have something to show you.”

Kulgar and Sol glanced at each other. This was either going to be really good, or really bad. With Kulgar’s luck, he figured it would be the second of the two.

“What do you think it is?” Sol asked as they flew behind Kulgar’s grandfather. Kulgar shrugged.

“Something edible, hopefully. I haven’t eaten since breakfast.” Sol giggled.

“Kulgar, it’s hardly been an hour since breakfast.”

“Exactly. Too long,” Kulgar said, earning a smile from Sol. “Anyway, if I had to guess, something about history.”

“I hope it’s one of those cool weapons that the dragons in the Sands use. You know, the daggers with poison inside?” Kulgar nodded.

“Or that spear that brings lightning down from the sky,” he said. “The one that went missing.”

“The Thunderspear?”

“Right. That one,” Kulgar said, embarrassed. Warrick suddenly dove straight down, and Sol and Kulgar nearly flew right past him. They followed, careful not to hit one of the branches that came from the tall trees.

Kulgar and Sol followed Warrick straight down. Kulgar was so busy watching Sol that he didn’t realize Warrick was leading them straight into the lake. He barely had time to take a large breath of air before they plunged straight into the icy waters.

They swam slowly deeper into the lake, fish scattering away from them. Sol nudged Kulgar with her wing and swam faster. He put on a burst of speed, and they raced forward, nearly running into Warrick.

Warrick’s tail smacked into Sol, but he didn’t seem to notice. Kulgar turned around to see Sol sinking into the water.

He started to warn Warrick, but his grandfather was swimming quickly away. Kulgar swam underneath Sol, pushing her upward through the water.

He kept pushing, but her wings flopped awkwardly to the side, weighing him down. Looking at her head, he realized Warrick’s tail had hit her hard just above the eyes.

Come on… He could now see the surface, and he pushed harder. Warrick still hadn’t noticed they were gone. Kulgar was so close when he accidentally took a breath, almost dropping Sol, but with a final shove, he pushed her out of the water, sending himself flying backwards.

He flapped his wings and threw himself out of the lake with an enormous splash. Sol lay on the bank, motionless, and a crowd was starting to gather.

“It’s the princess!”

“And Kulgar!”

“What happened to them?”

Kulgar collapsed beside Sol, never more grateful for a breath of air in his life.

You can make anything by writing - C. S. Lewis

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                          @kyronthearcanin

And yes, @hybridlore , there was a female Sol before the Sol in Healer, and she was much different XD

Cloaked Mystery
                            @jonas

@kyronthearcanin

That’s not too bad honestly. I didn’t read all of it, but none of it was too cringe-worthy. If it were in a published book I would think ‘this isn’t very good,’ but for what it is, it’s not bad. How were you that good at seven? I didn’t start writing till I was 12, and I was way worse than that.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
                              ✨ Magic System Creator
                              🎭 Character RPer
                              📚 Appreciator of Books

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                              @kyronthearcanin

@jonas

Ha, well thanks! I will say that while I was okay at writing when I was younger, I’m terrible at speaking – I stutter. A lot lol. So I guess it’s easier to have things written down!

I think it’s really just a difference on when people start. I liked to write nonfiction when I was really little before switching to fiction for Twelve Pearls, so maybe that’s it? Anyway, now I’m fifteen lol, so hopefully in eight years I’ve improved a bit.

RAE
                                @rae
                                  • Total Posts: 3026

Notice how everyone seems to have a similar style when they first start writing?

Silvanis: But I look like a peacock!
                                  Rosella: Whatever a peacock is, it must be very fashionable.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >