Plotting Help (Free of Charge!)

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Plotting Help (Free of Charge!)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Esther
    @esther-c
      • Total Posts: 3213

So I need help.

XD

I’ve been plotting in my head for a contemporary novel that I’m really excited about. I love the concept, the characters, and even the setting so much! I just need a better structure for my plot. So far I’ve been writing random scenes, I just have a feeling that when I finally sit down to write the book in whole, it’s not gonna go so smoothly.

I’ve never written a book before in which the plot hinges so much on character relationships and the going-ons of the MCs’ lives, instead of some adventure type thing. I’ve got their struggles pinned and I have a lot of ideas for scenes, I just don’t think it’s enough.

I’m not even sure what I’m trying to get across here. XD I guess I’m asking if y’all have any tips for plotting a story that doesn’t have a ton of action. I’m used to writing storied with more physical action than psychological, if you will. (Not sure if that actually makes sense….)

And a bonus question that I’ve also been mulling over…

Should I switch to first person for this book??

I usually write from third, but when I was at the library last night, I noticed a lot of contemporary YA fiction is written from first person pov.

What are y’all’s opinions on this?

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Esther
      @esther-c
        • Total Posts: 3213
        Stephie
        @stephie
          • Total Posts: 57

@esther-c

I wouldn’t be much help in this situation because I’m struggling with the exact same thing.

I have been writing random “scenes” because I find them less boring than sitting down and writing the whole book in order. I guess I should start to plough through the first draft…but *whines* I don’t want to!

Anyhow, you’re not alone 🙂

"Courage, dear heart." -Aslan

Stephie
          @stephie

@esther-c

And also, don’t feel obligated to write in first person. Do what’s best for your story. And we might have too much fiction from that POV — just because it’s mainstream doesn’t mean you should necessarily do it.

Sara
            @savannah_grace2009
              • Total Posts: 1986

@esther-c

I would say, just use a lot of Abbie Emmons’ advice (I’m sure you’re probably doing that already though XD) and make everything that happens build the internal conflict more.

And about first person…obviously don’t do it if you don’t want to, but I think first person helps bring out the character’s voices a lot more. While the actual book doesn’t have to be in first person, I would recommend writing a couple scenes in first person just to play with it. If you hate it, then don’t use it!

First person could help you portray the internal conflict more, and make your readers feel more tied to the characters. And it is so much fun to write (and sometimes easier) because since it is the character telling the story, you don’t have to write perfect prose, because people don’t normally think in perfect prose!

You said you normally write in third person, so maybe first person will help give you more inspiration. First person is like a whole new world and it’s such a different vibe! Maybe more ideas will flow if you switch.

I personally love a good first person contemporary, so I might be biased. It’s up to you, though!

Lukas&Livia
              #Lalbert
              Sef&Chase
              #HOTTOLINE
              LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

The Ducktator
              @theducktator
                • Total Posts: 222

@esther-c

I generally like third person more than first person. Both are good though, so do what you think works best. Just because it’s popular doesn’t mean it’s best. I can’t help much with the rest, because I’m having the same problem. Some books that do this well are The Penderwicks, The Vanderbeekers, Cheaper by the Dozen, and The Melendy Quartet.

Coconuts are mammals because they have fur and produce milk.

LoopyLin
                @loopylin
                  • Total Posts: 2050

Wyoh, I can’t think of a good insult rn, but stop

@esther-c
                  First person for some reason really bothers me. There are some books like Percy Jackson and the Penderwicks that I’ve enjoyed despite being in first person, but it still really pulls me out of the story. It makes me wonder why the mc is talking to me or if the book is like the mc’s personal diary? Are they the kind of person to write down their adventures in book form afterwards? Sometimes it works though. This is just a personal pet peeve.

I’m not sure how to help with the plotting part without knowing the story and characters. You said you have character arcs figured out?

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

HighScribe
                  @highscribeofaetherium
                    • Total Posts: 2229

@loopylin

Waiiiit… isn’t the Penderwicks third person??? Or have I officially gone insane?

@esther-c

I don’t really think I’ll be able to help, cuz I’m completely out of my element when it comes to contemporary.

I don’t know about the first vs. third person problem, but if you have multiple POV characters, I’d recommend that you stick to third person (mostly because I really dislike first person narration with multiple POVs lol).

It's harder to make a square evil than it is a triangle.

Annoying side character of the KP cast.

Stephie
                    @stephie

Wyoh, you look like ChatGPT’s error notifications.

Another suggestion would be to try and write the worst first draft you could possibly write. That’s how my dad got more than 100% on a university level essay.

The Ducktator
                      @theducktator
                        • Total Posts: 222

@highscribeofaetherium

Waiiiit… isn’t the Penderwicks third person??? Or have I officially gone insane?

It’s third person. And first person with multiple POVs drives me crazy as well.

Coconuts are mammals because they have fur and produce milk.

-GRCR-
                        @grcr
                          • Total Posts: 948

@esther-c

Hmm… That’s kinda how the first book in my series is… action-less…

Being the beginner-ish writer I am, I don’t really have any tips—but here are my thoughts anyway… (ok, maybe they’re tips…?? idk idk XD XD)

(It is hard to say much without knowing anything of your novel though… 😊)

Do you have a basic-ish overall plot at all? I think if your novel has an overall basic plot idea, I would say don’t worry too much into it. I don’t know how much depth your characters have, but maybe deepen them further. The more you know about them (and their relationships too) the more the basic plot idea could strengthen, twist, and be affected.

Ahhh, I think I’m having a hard time saying what I mean. 😓😓 Maybe that makes sense.

As far as first or third person, I haven’t read many contemporary novels (in either perspective lol), so my advice may not be that great. Personally, I’m more inclined to read third person—but first is great too. 😅 If you mostly write in third, it might be fun to write a book in first… but considering that you said a lot of contemporary is written in first, first person could be a bit overused…

I don’t know if that made much sense or if it was even helpful, but those are my thoughts! 😁

...i see the world in my head every time i close my eyes...

LoopyLin
                          @loopylin
                            • Total Posts: 2050

Ok I give up. Wyoh, you’re a jerk

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

Sara
                            @savannah_grace2009
                              • Total Posts: 1986

@everyone

Why do you guys hate first person so much?????

It’s just funny because like all my writing friends in real life absolutely LOVE first person, and then on KP everyone seems to strongly dislike it!

I personally LOVE first person books with multiple pov’s….idk…they are just so fun!

Lukas&Livia
                              #Lalbert
                              Sef&Chase
                              #HOTTOLINE
                              LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

HighScribe
                              @highscribeofaetherium

@theducktator

Ok, good, I was worried that I was losing it for a moment there lol.

@savannah_grace2009

I do not hate first person, I think it can be really good when done properly (I doubt anyone else has read this book, but The Door on Half-bald Hill is an example of this ((oh man I adore that book))). I just think it’s harder to get right than third person and it really bothers me when it’s poorly done.

HighScribe
                                @highscribeofaetherium

@savannah_grace2009

I think Wyoh ate your post.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >