Plotting Help (Free of Charge!)

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Plotting Help (Free of Charge!)

Viewing 4 posts - 106 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Whaley
    @whalekeeper
      • Total Posts: 2581

@freed_and_redeemed

*Waves* 😝 Heya. You probably already know how you want the characters to end up, but I’d also recommend plotting out what to do in the middle, or at least have bullet points for each chapter.

Having some kind of outline helps the pacing a lot, which I can see you’re worried about rushing or slowing. Leon’s alcoholism and Riker’s guilt should fall on a timeline of their development, whether you’ve just recently introduced the problems, or reached the dark moment/s. You won’t have to worry about where those problems should fall, or what comes before and after (at least not as much). This helps with what Esther said, that every scene counts.

I know it’s old advice, but it really helps 😂

YouTube Abbie Emmons has a great series on the three-act story structure. She’s not the best authortuber ever, but she stresses inner conflict, so she probably floats your boat lol. Brandon Sanderson’s lectures on plotting (also YouTube) are writer gold and I require everyone to watch them under pain of death.

Unless you already have a plan – which I would not be surprised by! – and you need scene ideas… ?

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

freedom
      @freed_and_redeemed
        • Total Posts: 333

@whalekeeper

Ty for the advice and resources!

'Thought I'd wait'
        'For what?'
        'For the right partner'

freedom
        @freed_and_redeemed
          • Total Posts: 333

I am probably looking more for scene ideas @whalekeeper tbh, lol. I’m kinda in the middle, where Leon/Riker are def plunging into the darkest before they finally come to the light, a darkness that will probably last for several chapters (although there WILL be good scenes happening too! <3).

Either way, Riker’s guilt/shame is about to worsen (not quite sure WHY that happens…😅) and Leon’s alcoholism is about to worsen (due to the stress of losing his job on top of everything else he’s going through), which will take a toll on his mental/spiritual health (which is already bad) and will begin to affect his relationships with others, beginning with his mother-in-law.

And I have decided/realized that Leon becomes a violent/aggressive drunk, in that bc of all of his pent-up anger and grief it all comes out when he’s drinking…

idk. I have a scene idea for Riker for the next chapter (involving a letter from a certain someone…SPOILERS) but nothing so far for Leon 🫠

'Thought I'd wait'
          'For what?'
          'For the right partner'

Whaley
          @whalekeeper
            • Total Posts: 2581

@freed_and_redeemed

Oof idk, I feel as if I don’t know enough about your story to give ideas 😅 Maybe give him scenes where he’s missing meaningful moments with his family because he’s looking back instead of forward (you know, reliving his grief)? He could miss a child’s special event, or forget a promise he made one of them.

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Viewing 4 posts - 106 through 109 (of 109 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          >