Plotting Help (Free of Charge!)

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Plotting Help (Free of Charge!)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 3874

@savannah_grace2009 I don’t mind first person.

Most of my scenes involving my charrie Crosshair are written in first person (especially if they don’t really have a story they’re going to be a part of, and I’m just writing them for fun). IDK why, I just like getting inside his rather traumatized head and looking at the story world through his eyes.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Sara
      @savannah_grace2009
        • Total Posts: 1977

@highscribeofaetherium

WHYYYYY

UGHHH

I forgot what I was gonna say

I know! First person books can either be super good or just…cringe..

Lukas&Livia
        #Lalbert
        Sef&Chase
        #HOTTOLINE
        LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Keilah H.
        @keilah-h

@esther-c I write alternately from first or third. It really depends on which you like better. I wouldn’t do it just because that’s the mainstream, though. I also wouldn’t do multiple POV’s from first person, because that would get confusing quickly.

Honestly, I should just start writing the random scenes that show up in my head instead of writing out half of the whole story just to get to them, so I have the opposite problem, and I don’t think what you’re doing is a bad thing in any way.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
          @keilah-h

He’s not actually my charrie lol, so I’m not to blame for most of that trauma btw

The Ducktator
            @theducktator
              • Total Posts: 201

@savannah_grace2009

I like first person, but I generally prefer third. Some first person books are great, like Alcatraz vs The Evil Librarians, but others annoy me. I generally dislike first person with multiple POVs because then I keep forgetting whose POV I’m in, which could be a problem with the writing. It’s more forgivable in romances, because then you get inside the head of both characters.

Coconuts are mammals because they have fur and produce milk.

Sara
              @savannah_grace2009
                • Total Posts: 1977

@theducktator

Yeah, makes sense.

Huh…I have always loved multiple POV first person books, because then you get into the head of multiple characters! But I know it can be confusing, it just never has been a problem for me because in my mind, every character has a distinct voice.

Lukas&Livia
                #Lalbert
                Sef&Chase
                #HOTTOLINE
                LEFSE FOREVER!!!!!! <333

Esther
                @esther-c
                  • Total Posts: 3202

@stephie

Yeah, plotting is probably one of my weaker points of writing. 😂 The extent to which I plot varies from story to story and I’m not sure if that’s a good thing… XD

Another suggestion would be to try and write the worst first draft you could possibly write. That’s how my dad got more than 100% on a university level essay.

I may just have to do that, lol.

@savannah_grace2009

I would say, just use a lot of Abbie Emmons’ advice (I’m sure you’re probably doing that already though XD) and make everything that happens build the internal conflict more.

That’s a very good point. 😁

That’s a good idea, I think I’ll try that! I’m definitely more comfortable in third person, but it would be interesting to explore their voices through first person.

@theducktator

Ok, thanks!!

@loopylin

Huh, that’s really interesting. I’ve never heard anyone feel about first person that way before. But it makes sense. I guess it depends on the story.

I’m not sure how to help with the plotting part without knowing the story and characters. You said you have character arcs figured out?

Yeah, i think so. I’m still tweaking them a bit and finding ways to improve them though. I don’t have a set theme for the story yet, but I really need to write it down so I can better guide the story and form my characters.

Do you want to hear about their arcs or the general idea for the plot?

@highscribeofaetherium

I don’t really think I’ll be able to help, cuz I’m completely out of my element when it comes to contemporary.

Oh yeah, true. XD Plotting isn’t much different, it just takes place in a different world. 😛

I don’t know about the first vs. third person problem, but if you have multiple POV characters, I’d recommend that you stick to third person (mostly because I really dislike first person narration with multiple POVs lol).

Fair. XD I think I’ve only read one series with multiple first person POVs. From what I remember the author did it well, but it’s been a hot minute since I last read it. But I think understand how you could dislike it.

@grcr

Do you have a basic-ish overall plot at all? I think if your novel has an overall basic plot idea, I would say don’t worry too much into it. I don’t know how much depth your characters have, but maybe deepen them further. The more you know about them (and their relationships too) the more the basic plot idea could strengthen, twist, and be affected.

Yeah, basic-ish. Big -ish. XD This story is a lot more character led than any other story I’ve written. (Which I feel like is saying a lot because I’m not a big fan of writing plot-driven stories over character-driven).

I think I get what you’re saying. If I develop the characters deep enough, I’ll know what situations to put them in to grow them and move along the plot. Right? (Or maybe I’m totally off here. XD)

As far as first or third person, I haven’t read many contemporary novels (in either perspective lol), so my advice may not be that great. Personally, I’m more inclined to read third person—but first is great too. 😅 If you mostly write in third, it might be fun to write a book in first… but considering that you said a lot of contemporary is written in first, first person could be a bit overused…

Yeah, I’m starting to think which pov I choose is mostly preference and if it fits the story or not… I’m definitely more comfortable writing in third, but… I’d be willing to try first. I’ll probably play around with it and see what happens.

I don’t know if that made much sense or if it was even helpful, but those are my thoughts! 😁

No it was really helpful! Thanks!!

I personally LOVE first person books with multiple pov’s….idk…they are just so fun!

Me too! Because there’s so much potential for a deep character voice! The best character voice I’ve ever read was in Pudge and Prejudice by… I forget the author’s name. Her voice was so unique and without that, I think the story would have been not as good.

Write what should not be forgotten. — Isabel Allende

Esther
                  @esther-c

@keilah-h

I honestly don’t mind multiple POVs from first person, because the time I read it, each chapter was labeled with the character’s name so you knew who was speaking. But yeah, I see how it could get confusing.

Esther
                    @esther-c

@savannah_grace2009

I forgot to tag you a second time in my post. Part of my rely to you is the last quote and paragraph on the post above the post above this one. (That’s unnecessarily complicated…. XDD)

-GRCR-
                      @grcr
                        • Total Posts: 943

Wow. None of my post have been going through. Thanks a lot Wyoh.

“What be a cretin?”
                        “Of course you wouldn’t know. It’s a… bread you put in salad.”

-GRCR-
                        @grcr

@esther-c

Yup, that’s pretty much what I was saying. XD XD Glad I could help! 😀

“What be a cretin?”

-GRCR-
                          @grcr

Oh, there they go….

“What be a cretin?”

The Ducktator
                            @theducktator
                              • Total Posts: 201

@savannah_grace2009

Huh…I have always loved multiple POV first person books, because then you get into the head of multiple characters! But I know it can be confusing, it just never has been a problem for me because in my mind, every character has a distinct voice.

Yeah, maybe the ones I’ve read aren’t very good. I haven’t read many.

Coconuts are mammals because they have fur and produce milk.

freedom
                              @freed_and_redeemed
                                • Total Posts: 333

@whalekeeper @loopylin @lightoverdarkness6 @keilah-h @koshka @rae @esther-c @anyone-else-help-meeeeeee

SOOOOOOO i’m currently working on Book 2 (Broken Shackles) of my main Trilogy (the trilogy that only features Leon/Riker as the MCs/POVs throughout all three novels)

but I’m really struggling with the middle of it 😩

I’m currently on Chapter 16 and 25k+ words in, but really struggling with what to put in the middle. This book is mainly a book of inner struggles rather than outer struggles, but it’s also hard to write things that I feel will still keep peoples’ attention (I mean, it holds my attention…but I’m also super invested into Leon/Riker XD)

But I also don’t want to rush, bc I feel like that will cheapen Leon/Riker and their struggles, especially the guilt for Riker and the grief for Leon (I meannnn, that’s the entire reason I decided to make it into two novels rather than one, so I wouldn’t have to rush through their struggles to get a novel that wasn’t overly large!!) bc those are real struggles ppl deal with, AND Leon/Riker deserve better themselves 🥰

I guess I’m kinda looking for ideas of what to do next; I’m almost to the point where Leon’s alcoholism will begin to get worse (although I’m kinda wondering what will make that happen) and is going to begin to affect his relationship with Louisa and, 😭, even with his kids.

And Riker?? Wellllll, Riker is just in a bad place in general. Idk exactly where his guilt/shame will take him, but I know he is just in a very bad place mentally, spiritually, and even physically (since he’s living with his abusive father…Franz is just😡).

so yeahhhh, that’s where I’m at😅

'Thought I'd wait'
                                'For what?'
                                'For the right partner'

Esther
                                @esther-c

@freed_and_redeemed

Ooh, I’m kinda struggling with something similar with a new WIP idea.

What I’ve been starting to notice is that you have to weigh the importance of each scene. Is each scene impacting the MCs arc in some way? How does it move along the plot? And sometimes some scenes will feel slow, but that’s not always a bad thing. Brainstorm scenes that will either push Leon and Riker further into their darkness or start to pull them out. What scenes will help from their arcs and bring them more realism and impact? What types of scenes will be important later on in the story or teach your MCs lessons?

I think that all makes sense… XD It’s something I’m slowly learning as I’m writing a book that has a lot less “action” than my other books.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 109 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >