Hello, fellow writers!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Hello, fellow writers!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    Keilah H.
    @keilah-h
      • Total Posts: 3875

@kyronthearcanin Yeah, a lot of things make no sense to me….

Oh, and your language ideas are cool!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
      @kyronthearcanin
        • Total Posts: 697

@keilah-h

Thanks! It’s just bits and pieces right now, but it’s coming together.

You can make anything by writing - C. S. Lewis

Keilah H.
        @keilah-h

@kyronthearcanin That’s cool! (Better than me, I have no gift in language. The best I’ve done is make up expressions for my dragons to use so that they aren’t using any words a reader might find offensive)

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
          @kyronthearcanin

@keilah-h

Yeah. I never want there to be any cursing in my books, so instead I just say in the writing something like “they cursed” instead of saying the words, especially because in that world expressions would be different. Some yell “blazes!” instead, which has been used before by other writers, but I would much rather do that than have actual cursing in my books.

TheArcaneAxiom
            @thearcaneaxiom
              • Total Posts: 1254

@kyronthearcanin

Cool! Do you have an idea for a system to keep things chaotic, yet comprehensible?

He is perfect in Justice, yet He is perfect in Mercy, even when we fail Him. For this, He is good.

Keilah H.
              @keilah-h

@kyronthearcanin Me neithe, I don’t want real swear words. It’s kind of funny, because I found a creative usage of one idea.

“Teeth of Snake” is the favored expression of my charrie Hunter. It doesn’t mean an actual snake but rather a mountain range called the Teeth of Snake, which in turn was named after a legendary (and long dead) dragon. The funny thing is I created neither of these characters, but they were based off of the same archetype and look similar. Hence why I made him use this phrase.

(I have a drawing of them if you’d like to see what I mean)

TheLoonyOne
                @theloonyone
                  • Total Posts: 404

@kyronthearcanin

Probably a short story called Storyteller, though eventually it turned into the first chapter of a novella I’m working on.

Haha, I’ve done pretty much the same thing with a short story I wrote. 😂 What is yours about?

probably a book from the Wingfeather Saga, though I couldn’t choose which one. Maybe the third or fourth.

I started the first book a couple of years ago but never finished it. A lot of people have been telling me its good, though, so I want to restart them eventually, especially now that it’s getting a show.

For movies, the Lord of the Rings and Narnia movies are great.

😍 Yes. Yes, they are. Love them!

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                  @kyronthearcanin

@thearcaneaxiom

I don’t quite have a system yet, but I’m basically starting by slowly introducing the words. For example, “om,” “ur,” and “bryn” are all mentioned in the naming of Dune’s ships. The others will most likely be introduced when there are other Felisaro present.

@keilah-h

That works really well! And I’d love to see it. I’m working on thinking up some phrases of my own but haven’t come up with anything quite yet.

@theloonyone

Storyteller is about a girl named Lily who is, well, a storyteller. It’s in a kind of medieval setting, but in my own fantasy world. Even though she’s only thirteen, she is able to tell stories, to really imagine them like she’s actually there, and to tell them with great oratory skill. So great, in fact, that the king has her tell stories to the royals on a regular basis. When a false storyteller comes to the palace, all of the stuck-up royals love him, and to stop him from ruining their kingdom, Kylera, Lily must come up with a great story of her own. The only royal willing to listen at first is Una, the king’s daughter, who has a low opinion of the royals herself, though she is one. Lily succeeds, uncovering the kingdom’s past in an extraordinary tale (which took me forever to write properly lol), and the false storyteller is locked away.

That is both the short story and the first chapter of the novella. The second chapter, Swordmaiden, is mainly Una’s perspective, and is about their journey to other kingdoms, to tell others great stories that will free/help all the kingdoms. Lily’s magic is growing stronger, and she is often dazed, her mind lost in some story. The main source of conflict arises when Una’s peremptory mother insists on coming with them, convinced that Una can’t take care of herself, when in fact the princess is skilled in the use of most weapons, and ends up taking care of her mother more than anything.

The Wingfeather Saga definitely gets better as you read. The first book feels more like a storybook, while the third and fourth books really make you care for the characters involved. The show is good, but like with most books, the books are better, at least in my opinion.

What about your short story?

Keilah H.
                    @keilah-h

@kyronthearcanin Here’s the drawing! Picture quality is terrible, sorry. Hunter’s on top and Snake’s on the bottom.

Keilah H.
                      @keilah-h

They look really similar and are distantly related, but are separated by like five thousand years of time or something, so it’s not like they’ll ever meet (alive anyway). I haven’t ironed out how long exactly.

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                        @kyronthearcanin

@keilah-h

They look really great! I can’t draw humans at all, but I’m okay at dragons lol.

Artsy Dragon
                          @artsy-dragon
                            • Total Posts: 100

I never use actual swear words in real life or in my books.  Tim Hawkins is a hilarious Christian comedian and he did a video on some made up Christian cuss words and its super funny.  I usually make up my own silly expressions for my stories & in real life.  It’s fun to get creative with the words you shout when you fall down stairs lol.

🌟 Full of Light! 🌟
                            Philippians 4:8-9

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                            @kyronthearcanin

@artsy-dragon

Just watched the video.🤣

Keilah H.
                              @keilah-h

@artsy-dragon Me neither, that’s why I make them up for my stories.

@kyronthearcanin
                                Thanks! I got to that point with a LOT of practice…..and those actually aren’t that great in comparison to some of my others. I don’t have another of Snake yet, but here’s one of Hunter:

He loses his left eye later in the story. (The previous picture was before he did)

Ava Murbarger (Solfyre)
                                @kyronthearcanin

@keilah-h

Looks great!

And poor Hunter! 😥

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 114 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >