Favorite Movies

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Film Favorite Movies

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 304 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

@emma-flournoy Being the helpful person that I am, I both don’t know and I don’t know.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Hoven
      @sarah-h
        • Total Posts: 669

*brief interjection* I just watched Les Miserables today, and it was amazing! Thank you guys for convincing me to watch it. The ending caught me off guard, but it was very well done. I had no idea it was such a Christian movie! *interjection ended*

Mark Kamibaya
        @mark-kamibaya
          • Total Posts: 318

@sarah-h Good for you! It is a great movie. I think the strongest asset of the movie is the great characters (combined with great performances). Because the singing is less so. Watch the Broadway 25th Anniversary version. Singing is so much better.

@daeus
          Harold Abrahams

@dragon-snapper
          I’ll get to you later ’cause I have much to say to you.

@emma-flournoy
          The two goods and two evils are only in the character’s mind. That’s correct. Because the character is the one making the decision. That’s why you have to look at it in the character’s POV. And I guess you’re right. Those two situations can be considered evil. In my purist version the evil choice has to be only evil with no amount of good in it. However, the guy that I learned this from said that it always depends on the character’s view of the choice. So I’ll throw away my purist version and adopt the original version of the two irreconcilable goods/evils. I’ll give you some more thoughts on this later.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

@Daeus 😀

@Mark-Kamibaya
            ‘kay, Harold Abrahams.

@Sarah-H
            Which version was it?

Mark Kamibaya
            @mark-kamibaya

@dragon-snapper Okay, so I kind of did simplify and over-exaggerate the theme of both movies. But here’s the thing: that’s what people noticed. And no matter what the actual theme might be, the majority of the people saw the feminism so much more. This happened in Maleficent, Frozen, and even in action blockbusters like Mad Max: Fury Road. Which is something to think about because people notice some things a whole lot more than others. I guess it’s right what they say: Association is greater than motivation.

Okay, actually talking about the two movies . . . I might have the opposite opinion. Now I haven’t seen either of them so I’m quite gullible here. But I think I’d like Frozen more than Maleficent. The only reason why I don’t like Frozen is because it seemed totally overrated. However, Maleficent, which I watched a tiny bit of, seemed to be a not-so-great movie. So I’d like to hear you state your case for why Maleficent is good and Frozen isn’t. And don’t worry about spoilers.

Also, this got me thinking about Disney Princess movies. From what I’ve seen there has been quite a few live action versions of the Disney Princesses in recent history. There’s Once Upon A Time on TV. In movies, there is Mirror Mirror (Snow White), Snow White and the Huntsman, Cinderella, Maleficent, a proposed Mulan movie and a proposed Little Mermaid movie, and an upcoming Beauty and the Beast movie (which looks really faithful to the animation). So what do you think about all this? Is it good or bad? Which one is your favorite iteration?

Mark Kamibaya
              @mark-kamibaya

@dragon-snapper Oh, and (besides Disney princesses) there have also been plans for a live action Lion King (after the awesome reception of the live action Jungle Book), a live action Snow White Disney version, a Peter Pan reboot, and a Aladdin movie (the only one I’m feeling a little bit excited for). So what’s with this?

Mark Kamibaya
                @mark-kamibaya

@emma-flournoy So the basic reason for the irreconcilable goods/evils is because of human nature. When humans see a choice they choose the best one. The one that is good. So that’s a problem when the character sees two choices–one good and one bad. They will choose the good one. It’s so simple and that’s a problem for stories. That’s why they need to look either both good or both bad.

So if (a one-dimensional) Attila the Hun looks at a city and thinks about whether or not to pillage it. He’ll automatically choose to pillage it. It is what is good in his own eyes. Same thing goes for a theif, murderer, and rapist. They do what is good in their own eyes

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 1352

@Mark-Kamibaya Okay so, all in the characters mind.

Snapper
                    @dragon-snapper
                      • Total Posts: 3515

@mark-kamibaya
                      This is really all part of my opinion; I don’t like Frozen, 1) because I think it is way overrated, and although I’ve only seen it twice, I can’t get hooked. 2) although the theme was new when Frozen was made, it’s rubbed off onto other movies, and I like my movies to be different. I don’t want to be able to compare two or more. 3) I am not a dragon who likes movies with singing. The songs were a little annoying and stayed in my head for a few weeks because they were so addictively annoying. 4) Romance. Yeah, I can’t stand romance. 5) because I’m a rebel. 😛 Yes, I don’t like Frozen just because everyone else does. If someone says they like Frozen, AKA you, then I automatically don’t like Frozen even more. 6) and to me, the movie seemed a little weird in some points, as well as sad.
                      So, it’s not really a point where the movie in itself was bad, it’s just me being a rebel. REBEL DRAGONS, UNITE!!
                      I like Maleficent for a lot of reasons. 1) The characters. Most of the characters are very deep and very well thought through. Stefan and Maleficent used to love each other, but then Stefan seriously wronged her. She was then reasonably furious at him, and cursed his daughter. (Okay, so maybe that’s not so reasonable. :P) 2) It’s really the turn-around in Maleficent that makes it a good movie for me. Her anger changed to loyalty through love. And the producers made it come slowly, almost foreshadowing it at first when Maleficent saves Aurora once when she was a child.
                      I see what some people are saying about the bad acting. A few characters were good, yes, but I don’t like Aurora’s acting. She’s too smiley. 😉 3) The music. This is probably another terrible reason, but hey, I’m not a debater. I just melt chairs and see what happens. The music was so well done that it was able to draw me in more than any singing could in Frozen. I saw the feminism thing in Maleficent, but not as strongly as it was in Frozen. 4) Plus in addition to all that, Maleficent had a lot more action in it than Frozen. I grew up watching Star Wars and Lord of the Rings; I like my explosions. (in movies)

As for the live-action Disney movies… I like some more than others, but not as much as I could. I really prefer the older ones because they are from my child-hood. All good memories come from those, and I’m afraid that they fail in these modern ones and not do well enough to do justice to the older ones. Though, I think you’re right, an Aladdin does sound really cool. It really just depends on how the producers make through with them. As a writer, I am not too keen on them because I feel as if Disney is reusing their past ideas. They aren’t coming up with original ideas and nothing new comes from that. For me, the older ones are just fine.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Sarah Hoven
                      @sarah-h

@emma-flournoy I saw the 2012 one with Russel Crowe in it.

@mark-kamibaya
                        I didn’t know that they filmed Broadway plays. Would I find it at a library, do you think?

Mark Kamibaya
                        @mark-kamibaya

@sarah-h Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Part 1
                          Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Part 2

It’s a bit long, but still worth it. Maybe for like a movie night or something.

Sarah Hoven
                          @sarah-h

@mark-kamibaya Wow, thank you! 🙂

Jess
                            @jess
                              • Total Posts: 575

@winter-rose, Just wanted to let you know that I looked up Old Fashioned, and my parents and I watched it and enjoyed it! 😀 Thanks for the suggestion!

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy
                                • Total Posts: 3976

Hey guys @Mark-Kamibaya @everyone I just watched a new one, and since we’re talking about themes I thought I’d bring this up, because the theme was particularly strong.
                                Um… it was the new live action Jungle Book. Before you stone me, let me just confess I wasn’t expecting to be too impressed either. For one, I am NOT an animal person. I mean, I like the idea of animals, and I like the way some animals look, and the different things different animals can symbolize, but as a pet person? No. Having to relate on an emotional level with any animal just freaks me out. Therefore, animal movies can be a special kind of torture. 😛
                                But for some reason I enjoyed this one, and I think that reason was the theme. Now I’m not saying this movie did everything right. No. I could spend a lot of time pulling it apart and getting nitty-gritty and everything. But I won’t. I want to talk about the theme because it impressed me in more ways than one. I was expecting some ‘man is destroying the forests and all the noble animals are dying and man is such a monster he should just die and let the animals take over the world and be at peace’ mumbo-jumbo. I was pleasantly surprised to find it not only didn’t go that direction, it took the complete opposite tack. Man was shown as master of the earth and the animals, but also steward. That just about blew my mind coming from a modern movie.
                                The broader theme was of self-identity and belonging, and very well done. Foils and parallels existed in clever and intricate abundance, and they all played off each other very, very well. But there were several sub-themes that all tied into that, and in the end I was actually very, very impressed with the way it showed that everything and everyone has its place, and just because the places are different doesn’t mean they’re any less important. So as a study in theme, I would definitely recommend this movie.

Daeus
                                @daeus
                                  • Total Posts: 4238

I mean, I like the idea of animals, and I like the way some animals look, and the different things different animals can symbolize, but as a pet person? No. Having to relate on an emotional level with any animal just freaks me out.

Hey, folks. I added a new section to my bio. Go check it out.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 304 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >