Favorite Movies

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Film Favorite Movies

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 304 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

I’ve never read it. I’m instantly suspicious of anyone using the phrase Down Under though.

We have our “gentleman bushrangers” like Ben Hall and Harry Power, but for the most part they were a pretty nasty lost.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@seekjustice Why?  I actually don’t really know the phrase except as the title of the series. 🙂  Is it an insult or something?

Well, technically there’s the Botany Bay part of your history, which would explain why the people weren’t originally very nice. 🙂 (I’m not saying that to offend you.  You can say as many bad things about American history as you want. 😀 )  I’ll have to look up those two guys.  I love reading history!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
        @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Oh, its a very common term to refer to Australia, presumably because its down under the rest of civilisation. Its not offensive, but whenever I hear it used it just strikes me that the person has no idea about Australia and is relying mostly on stereoypes.

People were transported to Australia for almost no reason at all and they were tormented by the soldiers/marines and then later by the police and that’s the reason why a lot of bushrangers went foul of the law (Ned Kelly, have you heard of him?, defended his mother who was being beaten by a policeman and that was how he became a bushranger). Unfortunately I know so little about American history that I don’t think I could say anything bad about it. The only things I am somewhat familiar with are the times of the Wright Brothers and Charles Lindbergh.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
          @rochellaine

@seekjustice Okay. 🙂  Yeah, that’s why I was asking you about those books, because I wasn’t sure if they portrayed Australia accurately.  I think they did, but I’m not sure.  And yes, I realize that a lot of the prisoners were falsely accused.  That particular series, in fact, is about a boy whose father was falsely accused and sent to Botany Bay, and who goes with his mom and siblings to Australia to try to find his father.

Since this is a movie topic, though, we probably shouldn’t keep talking about books here. 😀

Ohhh, you really know nothing about American history. 🙂  I’ll have to recommend some periods for you to read about!  If you’re interested in cowboys, why don’t you start with them? 😀  There are a lot of stereotypes about America too, though, so make sure you’re reading the correct history. (I am a culture fanatic, who dislikes a movie if the skirts the women wore were a few inches too long or too short for the particular year they are portraying, or if they use a slang word that was invented six months after the date the movie was set in, so – yeah. 🙂 )

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
            @seekjustice

@rochellaine

Well, I don’t know, but I’ve read another one of Robert Elmer’s books and I was really happy with the accuracy, so I trust him 😀

Very true, we’re getting a bit off topic.

Well, that’s not true, I also know that you had a revolution and wouldn’t take England’s convicts anymore and that’s how they ended up in Australia. I’m a bit the same way, super annoyed by the slightest historical inaccuracy.

Rochellaine
              @rochellaine

@sleepwalkingmk One more question before I complete the list: You want clean morals, I know, just like I do, but do you also want only light plots?  Or are you okay with ones that deal with questions like suicide or pregnancy outside of marriage or other heavy questions like that?  (Note: most of the ones I will recommend don’t, but a couple of the dramas do.)  And if you are okay with them, do you want me to note which ones do, or are you okay with just finding the descriptions yourself? (Which I would recommend anyway.)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SleepwalkingMK
                @sleepwalkingmk
                  • Total Posts: 179

@rochellaine I can deal with heavy questions and plots, yes. I can find the descriptions, too; I hope this isn’t taking too much of your time! Thank you 🙂

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@sleepwalkingmk Okay, sounds good! 🙂  I’ve got the list ready.  It’s pretty long, so I’m attaching a google document instead of posting it here.

The films on the list include some well-known classics which I liked/loved 🙂 and some others of my personal favorites which are not so well known.  A lot of real classics have bad plots, like Casablanca and Gone with the Wind, so that’s why I don’t watch as many classics.  (I haven’t seen those two, and only watch ones that I like the plot of after reading the description.)  Some of the films that are less well-known are sometimes considered cheesy, but I hope you can try a few and maybe you’ll like them.  I did. 😀  I did include some classics, though.

And of course, please read the descriptions yourself before watching, since we all have different ideas of what we prefer to see, and please watch all of these yourself before showing them to little kids.  I wouldn’t show them all to my younger siblings, and though your siblings might be mature enough to watch them, I don’t know exactly what types of things you’d want them to see.

But, that being said, here’s a list of a few of my favorite films!  I think the earliest on the list is from 1935 and the latest is 1966, so you’ve got those early three decades.  And if you end up liking some of them and want more of a certain kind, for the sake of space I left out a lot of others that I like. 😀  So ask me again!  I love talking about old movies and songs and culture and basically history in general.  😀 😀

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SleepwalkingMK
                    @sleepwalkingmk

@rochellaine WOW. Wow. Thank you so, so much for this list! I won’t be without a movie to watch for a long time 😀

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@sleepwalkingmk You’re welcome!  It was fun to make, because I got to remember all those stories. 🙂

When you watch them, will you please let me know if you like any of them?! 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SleepwalkingMK
                        @sleepwalkingmk

@rochellaine Aw, thanks though 🙂 I certainly will let you know! 😀

Rochellaine
                          @rochellaine

@sleepwalkingmk Great! 🙂 One other thing I forgot to ask:  Did I include any that you’ve already seen?  If so, which ones were they, and what are your opinions on them?

If not, I am waiting rather impatiently for you to watch a couple and tell me what you think! 😀  No pressure, of course, except…that I am pressuring you to watch them because I really want you to watch them so you can tell me what you think, and that I’m going to keep on rambling about them all day if I don’t stop myself so now I’ll stop and just post this…

😀 😀 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SleepwalkingMK
                            @sleepwalkingmk

@rochellaine Aw, I’m so sorry to keep you waiting! But we probably won’t watch a movie for a few days 🙁 Haha, no pressure. Okay.

I have not actually watched any of the movies on your list to the end. My family and I watched the first part of Singin’ in the Rain a few years ago. I think we stopped because my brother and I were at the stage in which we did not like romance. At all. 😛 Although I distinctly remember liking the song “Make ‘Em Laugh.” 😀

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine

@sleepwalkingmk Okay. 🙂  Guess I’ll just have to wait. 😀

Cool.  I’m glad that you haven’t seen any fully because that means you still have all those new ones to watch, right? 🙂  Oh, haha!  Yeah, I never was at that stage, since I’ve liked romance all my life, but my sister, who is two years younger than I am, just now in the past six months or so has gotten to the point where she likes romance.  Now I can finally show her some of my favorites without her crying out “Mush!” in the middle of them! 😀

Ah, yes.  Donald O’Connor is one of my absolute favorite actor/singer/dancers and his “Make ’em Laugh” sequence is simply amazing.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                                @seekjustice

@rochellaine

I was just stalking your list of movies and I was wondering if you’ve seen the 1958 A Tale of Two Cities? I’m not really an old movies sort of person but I really liked this one.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 304 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >