Favorite Movies

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Film Favorite Movies

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 304 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @dekreel
      • Total Posts: 2304

@rochellaine  Have you watched any new ones?? Or is that just an exaggeration on my part?

You can pronounce it however you want.

Rochellaine
      @rochellaine
        • Total Posts: 3322

@dekreel Only what my brother has showed me.  He’ll edit out parts that he thinks I shouldn’t see/hear by switching screens or muting the sound.  I watch the older stuff on my own.

He’s showed me things like Short Circuit, (AMAZING!) Galaxy Quest, (Star Trek: TOS spoof.  Hilarious.) and E.T. (for some reason I wasn’t able to fall asleep after watching that.  I had to watch a sit-com with my mom before I could. 😀 )  Yeah, all sci-fi.  🙂  I don’t think that’s the only genre he watches…

And, of course, I’ve seen The Princess Bride.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SleepwalkingMK
        @sleepwalkingmk
          • Total Posts: 179

@dekreel I’m like you. I don’t usually like PG-13 movies, and don’t watch them unless they’re Marvel. Or Star Wars. And I never want to watch an R movie again. So generally PG movies. Which are animated. Which isn’t bad; I like Pixar 😀 But I think it’s a shame that there aren’t many PG movies aimed toward adults (besides most Christian films). That’s one reason I liked the movie Hidden Figures. It was refreshing to watch a PG movie not aimed at kids.

@rochellaine
          Oooo, you like old movies? Which are your favorites? Which can you recommend? Each time my family sits down to watch a movie, it usually takes a long time and I end up looking for old movies but can’t find any because Google isn’t the greatest at telling me which old movies are best 😛

Read to explore worlds, write to create them.

Joy
          @dekreel
            • Total Posts: 2304

@sleepwalkingmk  Yessss, you’ve seen Hidden Figures!! It’s been awhile since I’ve watched it, but I recall it being very good.

I KNOW! Honestly, why must nearly ALL adult movies be on the PG-13/R scale?! I agree.

You can pronounce it however you want.

Rochellaine
            @rochellaine

@sleepwalkingmk Well, there are just as many genres of old movies as there are of new ones, so I first have to ask you: What genre are you looking for?

Because I could recommend dozens(and that’s a quite conservative estimate, 🙂 ) of old movies and TV shows in many different genres, so it’ll help to narrow it down. 😀

Yeah, it’s hard to tell what exactly is in a movie before you watch it unless you talk personally to someone.  I usually read the descriptions and parental guides(if they have them) on two or three different sites before watching a movie, though there are a couple of directors or actors who I know so well I’m sure the movie will be clean and interesting if they’re in it. 🙂  In modern times it’s common for directors and actors to try their hand at everything, so they can show everyone what good acting abilities they have, but back then an actor would play basically one type of roll for nearly his entire life, and a director would direct basically only one genre, so if I recognize the names of the people who made the film it’s easier to guess whether it will be what I’m looking for.  Isn’t that nice? 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SleepwalkingMK
              @sleepwalkingmk

@rochellaine Oh wow. So, I’m going to give a horrible answer and say most genres 😛 The ones I’d rather avoid unless they’re very good are romance (it’s okay if it’s part of the plot, just not the plot), mysteries, sci-fi, and westerns (it’s okay if you include them though; I’ve just had some bad experiences with them). Does that narrow it down? Sorry, I’m not a very decisive person 😛

Oh, that is so nice! 😀 I don’t know very many directors and actors nowadays, and most of the ones that I do know I can’t follow like that because they try out many different things (some of which I probably won’t like or agree with). :/

Rochellaine
                @rochellaine

@sleepwalkingmk Hm.  You said most genres, and then took out half of them! 😀  So, let’s see… without any romantic comedies, westerns, sci-fi, or mysteries, what is there left?

How about war movies, musicals, or…oh, I can’t think right now. 🙁 can you give me some other examples?

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine

@sleepwalkingmk Oh, I didn’t notice where you said you’d “had bad experiences with some of them.”  So I just thought I’d let you know that though I haven’t watched any recently made westerns, and the only modern romance ones I’ve seen are a couple badly made Hallmark movies, I can tell you for a fact that the sci-fi genre is a very different thing than it was in the 50s.  And even in the western genre there’s a huge difference between the films made in the 40s and those made in the 60s.  (I despise John Wayne, and adore Roy Rogers. 😀 )  So just because you had a bad experience with a certain genre movie made recently, doesn’t mean you will with one made in the 50s. 🙂  Does that help at all?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Rochellaine.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SleepwalkingMK
                    @sleepwalkingmk

@rochellaine Yeah, I used to not like westerns at all, or at least the ones we had, mostly because of how the women were treated in them 😛 And most of those westerns were with John Wayne. Y’know, I take it back. Please disregard what I said before about excluding genres XD I haven’t seen many old sci-fi or romances, so I think I based my prejudices on them based off more modern movies 😛 The clarification does help 🙂 Perhaps a list of favorite older movies I’ve watched may help? Some of my favorites are It’s a Wonderful Life, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, 12 Angry Men, Robin Hood, Meet Me in St. Louis, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, My Fair Lady… That’s all I can think of at the moment. Thank you for putting up with my scatterbrained, under-educated-about-old-movies self! 😀

Rochellaine
                      @rochellaine

@sleepwalkingmk Oh, those are some good ones you’ve seen! 🙂  (I actually haven’t seen all of them yet.  But I’ve seen at least clips of all of them.)

Maybe this will make you feel better about the old westerns:

(As I said before, I don’t like John Wayne either. 🙂 ) Gene Autry and Roy Rogers had a much cleaner style.  I don’t remember where I read Roy Rogers’ code, but his was even cleaner for kids, since he added because he was such an icon for children he wouldn’t drink, smoke, or kiss a girl in the movies. (Though he does have one, little known, screen kiss with Dale Evans, and another forehead kiss. 😀 )

Okay, compiling list… 😀

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SleepwalkingMK
                        @sleepwalkingmk

@rochellaine Woah. It makes me feel much better about westerns. Wow. And wow. Roy Rogers wouldn’t do any of those things in movies? I’m kind of speechless. I wish we could see that nowadays.

SeekJustice
                          @seekjustice
                            • Total Posts: 3365

@rochellaine

Goodness, it makes cowboys sound like the knights of the Round Table!

But really, I don’t understand why Americans have iconic, chivalrous cowboys and Australia has…bushrangers.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Rochellaine
                            @rochellaine

@seekjustice 😀 😀 But actually, just like the code of the knights was idealistic and none of them really followed it but Arthur and Galahad, (completely get rid of Lancelot.  I don’t think he even tried. 😀 ) so is this code the code of the idealistic cowboy.  True historic cowboys had faults like normal people.

However, if you do study American cowboys – not the ones portrayed in fiction now, but read books by those who actually knew and lived among them such as Zane Grey, William MacLeod Raine and others – you will find that their code did include very similar things to this, though drinking was not one of them! 🙂  Honesty was treasured above almost anything else, actually.  Calling a man a liar was asking for a shot in the stomach.  And insulting a woman (not a prostitute, but a normal woman with a normal reputation) was cause for the same thing.  I love cowboys!

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine

@seekjustice Oh, and while I don’t know much about bushrangers, I like them, too.  Have you read the Adventures Down Under series by Robert Elmer?  Is that series accurate?  If so, I can say I enjoyed it immensely. 🙂

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

SeekJustice
                                @seekjustice
                                  • Total Posts: 3365

@Rochellaine

I don’t think even Arthur was doing that well (Mordred wasn’t one of his proud moments).

Wow! I’ve never really read about cowboys but they do sound pretty cool! All I know about them is the stereotypical stuff everyone else uses to make fun of them.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 304 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >