Favorite Lines of Dialogue from your WIP?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Favorite Lines of Dialogue from your WIP?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    Alexa Autorski
    @writerlexi1216
      • Total Posts: 1011

@abigail-m

Of course!! 🙂 I can already tell you’re an exceptional author 😉 I’m very happy for you!! Oooh, I’m the same way—I could go nuts talking about my book (I think my family is probably bored of it by now because it’s hard for me not to talk about them), so I understand!! XD

I can see the look on Caira’s face crystal clear, because honestly Newton is the last person she’d expect to be with XD Awww, thank you so much!! You’ve really encouraged me with writing the Newton/Caira romance because, before I found KP, I was too embarrassed to write romance and thought about scrapping the romantic element entirely. But that makes me feel a lot better 🙂 As far as Newton’s reaction… he gets so flustered and adorable when Caira is brought up, so he’d probably start blushing and smiling, not knowing what to say. He’d be over the moon if I told him he would someday marry be with Caira. Newton tries to be gruff and serious, but he has such a soft side for her.

Ooh, wow!! I had no idea you’d written a first draft already!! And don’t worry—first drafts are meant to just be there. I have full faith in you and The Snow Warrior!! Wow, three years is a long time! I think I’ve been working on mine around one and a half/two years now. I agree—Kingdom Pen has been absolutely wonderful for me, because it’s so fun to connect to other Christian authors like myself!

By the way, would you recommend NaNoWriMo? I’ve thought about trying it… I really need to pick up the speed on my book and stop editing. Oh, I love love love your characters so much (and Filip is very likable)!! I think you’re doing a fantabulous job with this story, and I love every. little. bit. SO MUCH!! And I’d be ECSTATIC to read any of it!! (Warning: I’ll probably fangirl about everything, so you’ll have to excuse me…)

Abigail.M.
      @abigail-m
        • Total Posts: 1242

@writerlexi1216

Hmm, I didn’t see my post show up here. Did you get it? If not, that’s okay because I can re-post. I just wanted to make sure so you didn’t get it twice:)

Alexa Autorski
        @writerlexi1216

@abigail-m

I saw it in my email!! 🙂

Alexa Autorski
          @writerlexi1216

@abigail-m

And of course!! I mean every word!! Yeah, I’m pretty sure my family thinks I’m a nut, but *shrug* that’s fine. Awwww, that made me smile unbelievably huge!!! I’m so happy that you love them, ahhhh, it gives me such a warm, fuzzy feeling that other people enjoy listening to my lengthy rambles about my characters 🙂 Newton is super adorable when it comes to Caira… *sigh* He’d kill me if he knew I called him ‘adorable’ XD Oh, I didn’t know you had the same dilemma with Mejia/Filip! I thought I was the only one. And THANK YOU SO MUCH, Abigail!!! That means so much to me and definitely motivates me to keep writing on their romance 😉 I was worried people may find it boring for me to keep talking about them, so thank you! You’ve been suuuuper encouraging to me throughout my writing journey!!!

Thanks for the recommendation! I’d given it quite some thought, but never really went through with very much. Haha, I think ditching quality is probably helpful for me, because I feel like a sloth when it comes to writing. Yes, I just compared myself to a sloth, but I feel like I write so slowly that I need that ‘push’ to keep me going forward. Wow, that does sound epic!!! 😀 (And by the way, congrats for making it until the end!) Oh, that sounds like my routine, too XD I’m not sure how consistent I would be, but I’d be willing to give it my best shot! I may try to do NaNoWriMo a little earlier than November just because I hope to complete my first draft by the end of the year (with potential editing in addition to that), but I’ll still follow all the guidelines, rules, et cetera. But thank you for all the tips!!! That was very helpful, and has swayed me into considering trying it (I wish I’d thought of this before March… *sigh*, guess I’ll wait until April).

And no problem! I’d be honored to read any of your writing, anytime!! 😀 Aww, a million thank yous!!!!! I’m so happy that you like them, and just the fact that you love my characters has given me motivation and encouragement!! And I CAN’T WAIT to see your illustrations!!!!! And TEN? Eeeeeek!!! I’m sooooo excited!!!!! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 I’ll probably print them out and hang them on my wall once I get them! THANK YOU for drawing them! 🙂

Abigail.M.
            @abigail-m

@writerlexi1216

Yes, the only thing I love more than making long rambles about my characters is hearing long rambles about other writers’ characters! No seriously, I love hearing them and your characters are the best to listen about:)
              *Chuckles* That’s so funny about Newton, I can name a few of my characters who would absolutely detest being called adorable, (especially the very ones who are!)
              Your definitely not the only one with that dilemma, it was one of my top troubles in TSW until KP. I mean I still struggle occasionally, but for the most part, it has a solid role in the story now. Which I’m happy about because they are so much fun to write:)

Though this is totally off topic, Filip is the character who’s gone through the most name swaps in my whole novel. First I called him, Angus, then Eitan, then Andrey, then Adrik, then Artur (before I gave that name to the villain), then Zavier, and finally Filip. And I stuck with that, (off-topic, but I just remembered that about him).

And there is absolutely nothing boring about Caira/Newton, (I could listen to talk about them all day!)

Yes, I pretty much feel like a sloth when it comes to writing too. I have decent characters, decent idea, and all the tools. But it can be difficult to start, get the idea off the ground and continue it for as long as I want. Other times, it’s almost too hard to even open a new doc, (yep, NaNo is definitely the cure for this XD ). Thank you:) And that’s totally okay if you pick another month, any of them work just as well as another. The rules are pretty few and simple: 50k words, 30 days, may the fittest survive, (somehow I made it anyway XD ).
              I’m sure you’ll do awesome! No matter what, you’ll walk away from your chosen month with a lot more novel than you started with:)
              NP:) I’m super glad to draw them, and happy that you’re looking forward to seeing them, (I can’t tell how good they are though, because I can be a terrible judge when it comes to my own drawing). Nonetheless, I can’t wait to share them!

Alexa Autorski
              @writerlexi1216

@abigail-m

Phew! That’s good to know that I haven’t been boring everyone with them! XD Yeah, I think those characters are the most adorable ones (like Deek)! I’m glad you decided to include the romance in TSW, because I already adore your characters and definitely ship Mejia/Filip 100% 😉 Ooh, those are some great names! Though I have to admit I like ‘Filip’ the best 🙂 *tries really hard not to start fangirling over TSW* Caira used to be Maggie/Isla, and Deek used to be Maverick/Gabriel. Newton is the only one who hasn’t had a thousand name swaps (he’s never had another name, come to think of it) XD And aww, thanks!! I get so wrapped up in talking about my characters that I hoped it wasn’t boring, so that’s good to know 😉 I’m always open to any questions from anybody about it 🙂

Thanks for sharing your experience/offering tips/recommending NaNoWriMo to me! I’m very excited to begin on April 1st! By the way, do you have any tips for prepping beforehand? I figured I may do some outlining, but I didn’t know if I was missing anything. And I’ll give it my full effort! 🙂 Hey, maybe we could be friends on there or something?

Yes! I’m very much looking forward to them! 🙂 Oh, I’m sure they’re amazing, girl! I’ve been very impressed by what I’ve seen so far, so I have no doubt they’ll be wonderful! 🙂

Abigail.M.
                @abigail-m

@writerlexi1216

You certainly haven’t been boring anyone with those awesome characters of yours!
                  Yes, Deek is sooooooooo cute! (Please don’t tell him I said that XD ).
                  I was glad to keep them in the novel too, (and I love shipping them when they’re out of earshot or thinkshot:)
                  Thank you so so much!! That makes me super happy to hear:D
                  I think Caira, Newton, and Deek are the perfect names for your characters, (the other names are awesome too, but these just suit them so beautifully! The nickname Deek for Derrick is so cool/adorable and is just so… like the character:) And of course, Caira is really beautiful and unique and Newton is just well, it’d be hard to imagine him with any other name:)
                  Uh oh, “I’m always open to any questions from anybody about it”? That’s a dangerous thing to offer because I could literally keep you on the forum all the way till dawn XD I mean I’d LOVE to hear more about your trio and their inner/outer conflicts, and likes/dislikes, and best/worst memories –
                  See? If I hadn’t caught myself, I would have fallen into the bottomless lake of questions! XD

Ah yes! I’d love to share some tips/experience about WriMo! As a matter of fact, I’m going to go through my copy of “No Plot? No Problem!” and put together a post of tips for you. And you know what? I just had a crazy/awesome/totally something I wasn’t expecting to do this year but think it’d be an awesome anyway idea: suppose I did two NaNoWriMos this year? One for my traditional November and one this April! Because honestly, I haven’t been getting anywhere with my second draft and always knew that I’d have to take some drastic measures to get my novel rolling. And as long as someone else will be doing it too, well I think it’d be a great idea! (My family will probably never forgive me for putting them through two in one year, but still.) What do you think of the idea?

And yep, I sent you a friends’ invite on my NaNo platform:)

Alexa Autorski
                  @writerlexi1216

@abigail-m

Aw, thanks!! And *looks around* *whispers* no, I won’t tell him, though I think that about him all the time! 😀 Thank you! I thought those names fitted them well, and I think your characters’ names fit them well, too! (I still adore the name Mejia so much!!) I love nicknaming my characters, too. Sometimes I’ll refer to Newton as ‘Newt’ even though I know he’d hate that XD Caira teases him about the nickname, too, which is super cute.

Aw, YES! I’m open to any questions, no matter how specific (as long as you’ll excuse my looooong posts and fangirling, et cetera). What would you like to know? I’m open to giving answers to any question!!

Thank you for doing that for me!! I’m not exactly sure how to prep, so I’ll take any tips that you have!! And *gasps* WE COULD DO NANOWRIMO TOGETHER? *squeals* This made me smile so big! It’ll be super motivating to have a writing buddy with me! And I’m sure you’ll feel more inspired with your second draft soon! I have faith in you 😉 And maybe NaNo could help! Haha, I think my family thinks I’m nuts for trying to finish my book this April, but I’m ready for the challenge! *puts fists up* And thanks for the invite! In the meantime (before NaNo), I may try outlining a bit so I can have a clear picture of where I’m going. I hope that’s not cheating.

Abigail.M.
                    @abigail-m

@writerlexi1216

Thank you:) Aw, Newt is such a cute nickname, it makes me grin to think of Caira teasing him with it:)

Hmm, oh where to begin, where to begin… Well, I’m super curious about all their internal conflicts, like what are their deepest fears/secrets. What is your trio’s very favorite individual memory? Very worst? (Lila’s favorite memory was of when she was much younger and she made friends with a cougar cub. Mejia’s worst memory actually occurs later in the story when her closest friend turns against her). Does Deek see the love interest element between Caira/Newton or not so much? Ooh, what’s your absolute favorite scene you’ve written so far? Personally, I’m super interested in the official first meeting with Newton, how did Deek react? Was it Deek’s sword that was involved? Deek has fire powers right? When does he discover them?
                      Sorry about the looong list, but you asked so… XD It’s alright if you don’t answer them all, but don’t worry one teeny bit about long posts because I love to read them and I love hearing all about characters. No, seriously! I have a book by a best-selling author and the whole book is full of first drafts he wrote in middle school and character descriptions. I love hearing about that stuff! 😀

I’m SO SUPER GLAD that you like the idea!! Haha, thank you. Hopefully, a second draft will help me out a lot. I’m extremely excited to do NaNo this April and it’s super incredible that you can do it to at the same time!!
                      (I was super tempted to write that in all caps, but I restrained myself pretty well XD ).
                      And nope, that’s not cheating if your going rebel style (which is exactly what I’m doing), you just won’t be able to start racking up words until April 1st.
                      AAAHHH, this’ll be awesome!! Though I must warn you in advance that it gets pretty difficult in the trenches XD

GodlyFantasy12
                      @godlyfantasy12
                        • Total Posts: 6645

@writerlexi1216 @abigail-m So I’m not technically doing NaNoWriMo due to it being pretty liberal but I will be writing so I can be a writing buddy too if y’all don’t mind!

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                        #ProtectMarcel
                        #ProtectSeb

Abigail.M.
                        @abigail-m

@godlyfantasy12

That’s true, but it’s mostly the community that’s liberal, (I just stick to my own writers’ profile and goals which is seperate, so I don’t even get involved in the liberal stuff).
                          But that’d be awesome if you’d be a writing buddy with us!! 😀

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Abigail.M..
                          Alexa Autorski
                          @writerlexi1216

@abigail-m

Great!! Warning: this may end up being a looong post, so sorry 🙂 As far as deepest fears…

Caira’s deepest fear is being alone. After she loses her family one thousand years ago (other than Deek, of course), she feels like she’s blindly beginning her new life on her own, without her parents or family to help her, and she feels bound and suffocated by fear. Even being in an unknown place all alone petrifies her, because she doesn’t have much faith in herself and fears she isn’t strong enough to face the unknown. One reason why Caira and Deek have such a close bond is because she depends on him for support, since he’s the only family she has left, and the thought of being alone is her deepest fear, which is why she’s always trying to stay in a ‘comfort zone’ and hide (of course, my villain uses Caira’s weakness to his advantage later on).

Newton’s greatest fear is never being enough. For all his life, Newton has felt like a disappointment to both himself and his family. Mostly, his low self-esteem is due to the fact he was born with a speech defect (his stutter), and he felt like his parents were ashamed of him. He was mocked by other children for his stuttering, which kept him from having any social life whatsoever when he was young, and he often isolated himself. When he was 8 years old, he ran away from home, ashamed and wanting to feel like he belonged somewhere in life. After he was taken in as a child soldier, he still continued to try to ‘prove himself’, pushing himself to become the greatest sword fighter he could, but to no avail, and he was still left feeling empty. Finally, after he’d completed his mission of finding Caira (when he disguised himself as a newspaper boy, et cetera), he ran away again, this time from the military. He became a scavenger and thief, full of unforgiveness and wanting revenge on the villain, and he thinks that having revenge will make him feel content. He still seeks to prove to himself he isn’t a failure, even though he’s homeless and taken to thieving. Learning forgiveness and self-worth are two of Newton’s biggest lessons.

Deek’s greatest fear is being viewed as weak. Deek is very arrogant and self-conceited, making sarcastic remarks and bragging about himself and his abilities most of the time. But he only pretends to be confident because, deep down, he’s terrified of the unknown and doesn’t feel confident at all, so he uses his sarcasm to suffocate his fears and hide his feelings. He feels he needs to be strong for Caira, which is why he pushes himself to never show weakness. Deek’s lesson is learning to be himself, open up more, and stop hiding his feelings.

As far as favorite memories… Caira’s would probably be when she *spoilers* finally gets her memories back, and sees a glimpse of her parents. That special moment means the world to her, because this is what she’s been searching for the entire story. Or maybe when she takes a walk in the Crystal Woods with her owl 🙂 Her worst memory may be when she’s grieving the loss of one of her friends (in the final book).

Deek’s favorite memory would probably be when he and Caira are training with their powers in the forest since they ‘battle’ each other a lot. I’m sure there will be another one in the future, but that’s a fond memory of his, since anything magic-related he enjoys. Or just anytime he uses his fire powers XD Deek’s worst memory may be when the villain deceives him into believing that Caira is dead later on. That’s a hard blow for him (of course it’s just a lie), and left a huge impact.

Newton’s favorite memory involves Caira, because he went through a lot of trauma before he met her and feels like she helped him have a better, happier life. It may be when he teaches her how to ride a horse. That’s an adorable moment for them together (it may be in the second book). This might change, but that’s a sweet memory that came to mind 🙂 Newton’s worst memory is the moment he’s taken into the military as a child soldier. That whole timespan of seven years scarred him for life, and something he doesn’t open up about much.

Oh, absolutely Deek does!! After Newton has made his amends with them, Deek starts teasing both he and Caira all the time XD I think he ships them and knows they like each other (it’s obvious to everyone), and every time he starts teasing Caira, she usually blushes and denies it. Deek knows everything going on 😉

I’d have to say that my favorite scene may be when Caira and Deek meet Newton. As far as reactions, Deek is highly suspicious of Newton at first sight, whereas Caira (still not knowing who he is) is kind and compassionate to him. But once she realizes who he is, she quickly gets infuriated with him for betraying her to the villain (referencing when she met Newton the first time). And yes, it’s Deek’s sword that’s involved! Out of Caira’s anger, she snatches his sword and holds it to Newton, demanding to know who he is. Not very romantic XD And yes, Deek has fire powers (I’m impressed you remembered that!) I think he may discover them in Chapter Three (though I don’t think I’ll post Ch. 3 since I haven’t finished writing the latter half) It’s a little dangerous to think about Deek having fire powers, but I thought it fit his ‘fiery’ personality well. Did I ever tell you Newton’s power? He has photographic memory, by the way. Thank you for all the questions!! I’m always so happy to answer anything, no matter how big or small! 🙂 If you have any more, feel free to ask!

Alexa Autorski
                            @writerlexi1216

@godlyfantasy12

Of course you can join us, girl!! 🙂

@Abigail-m

Oh, that’s good to know I’m not cheating… haha. I just thought I’d temporarily break from writing until the first day of NaNoWriMo and instead outline a bit, that way I’ll know where I’m going and have a clearer direction. Oooh, thanks for the warning! XD

Abigail.M.
                              @abigail-m

@writerlexi1216

Where do I begin with how awesome all of that is?

Caira’s personality is so well thought out (I mean they all are really, it’s great how you employ backgrounds so much. Since backstory’s make up a lot of what a character has become), she is such an awesome character. And that’s a great idea of how Caira depends on Deek, and Deek feels like he has to be strong for her. That adds a whole new layer of depth and realism to their internal conflicts and Deek’s determination not to show weakness. The villain uses that against her? Even worse, he tricks Deek into thinking Caira’s dead? AAHHH, so much tension!! Ooh, what does the tree tattoo on her palm represent? I think her owl’s name is Oria right? Something like that, what happens to her?

Deek is so cute! I love the thought of him and Caira battling with each other, with their powers. That must be so much fun to write:) And fire powers suit his fiery personality so perfectly, plus fire powers are just way too cool. Dangerous. But cool. Does Deek ever get back any of his memories too? Or just Caira?
                                Aw, I feel so bad for poor Newton. His backstory is so deep and though he wouldn’t agree, it’s great how you used a stutter to impact him and his personality. It made him so much more layered and empathetic. I had no idea Newton’s power was a photographic memory! That is super cool, but I can imagine how that would hard for him sometimes. Hard for him to remember being a child soldier, but great that he can always keep all his memories of Caira.
                                He teaches Caira how to ride a horse?!?!?!?! Oh, my word:D That has GOT to be the sweetest scene in the entire universe!! I may have to base an illustration just off of that! I mean I can just picture it… Ah no wait, I can’t shouldn’t, because if I did, I’d creep my sister out to no end by fangirling XD (Whoops, too late…) How did it go? Did it go pretty smoothly or did the horse rear and act crazy? I mean there are so many hilarious/romantic/totally unplanned things that could happen!

And it makes me grin a mile long to think of Deek shipping and teasing both of them:) I mean that is just so adorable!

And I knew it! I had a feeling it was Deek’s sword, (knowing Deek, he’d probably be worried about what Caira was going to do and at the same time, hope she didn’t damage his sword XD Well, I’m not sure if that’s what he’d think, but it kinda sounds like him:) I simply adore that scene though, (*shouts to Newton* I’d tell her quick!) It seems so like the characters, I like it better than if it had been romantic. Aw, poor Newton, I can just picture him. Does he try to tell her quickly or is he hesitant?

(If you can’t tell, I love these characters!)

NP:) Yep, it’s not cheating really. NaNoWriMo’s sole purpose is just to get you ahead with your word count and obliterate Writers Procrastination. I should probably do some outlining too, so I don’t trip face-first at the starting gate XD

GodlyFantasy12
                                @godlyfantasy12
                                  • Total Posts: 6645

@abigail-m @writerlexi1216

Are we answering character questions?! If so may I join?! What are the questions I LOVE TALKING ABOUT MY CHARRIES AND STORY XD.

But warn u I do end up having like…7 POV characters lol but I’d stick with only a few if that’s what you’d like

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                                  #ProtectMarcel
                                  #ProtectSeb

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 200 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >