Favorite Lines of Dialogue from your WIP?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Favorite Lines of Dialogue from your WIP?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    Abigail.M.
    @abigail-m
      • Total Posts: 1242

@writerlexi1216

Absolutely NP:)
      Oh, ikr? They should have put the caps button somewhere out of reach, (or at least somewhere slightly more difficult for me to use XD ). *Inserts a million !’s* You see? Those things don’t even come with instructions or warning stickers.
      *Puts fist up too* Yeah, my family thinks I’m crazy too, (I don’t think they’ve had a chance to forget about last November XD ). But yep, I ready for it too!
      You finished a novel when you were ten? I give you credit for that. I started a novel when I was about that age, it was pretty ridiculous; something about a peacock trying to escape from a zoo… but I never finished it. So I definitely give you credit for finishing yours:)
      NaNoWriMo is definitely an exciting/scary experience, (I’m already half terrified, half super excited and I’ve  done it before XD ).

(I know right? That was a seriously awesome/dangerous discovery for me XD ).

Alexa Autorski
      @writerlexi1216
        • Total Posts: 1011

@abigail-m

Thank you, I really appreciate it!! I have to confess, I’ve brought myself to tears thinking about it, too. But that’s a great compliment! Although, I do admit that I know one or two of my main characters will end up dying, unfortunately… Yeah, it wouldn’t be the same (and it’s adorable to think of Deek becoming an uncle when Caira and Newton have kids) and that’s exactly what he thinks! After the confession scene, Deek still teases Caira and says, “I told you so.” And yes, Newton very nearly sacrifices himself for her, and vice versa. Caira is pretty brave when it comes to defending her friends, and almost dies in the last book when she uses too much of her power…

And–Wait. It’s Morio?!?!?! NOOOOOO, that’s so sad!! *sniffles* *grabs mountain of tissues* *throws self of couch and sobs dramatically* Awww, that just makes me so sad (and it was originally going to be Anton or Filip?! *mouth drops*) Well, thank you for the warning, because at least I know what to expect when I read it (not that I still won’t cry, because I most certainly will). But it’s sweet that he has his redemption before he dies (and it’s already heartbreaking!) *continues to sob loudly* POOR MORIO! *snatches Morio* *tries to warn him of what’s going to happen but, unfortunately, can’t* *gives him back and sighs* Well, if it makes any sense, it sounds like a ‘good’ death–one that’s written well, I mean.

Haha, yeah, I look at my characters and feel sympathy for them, but then I remember that I’m the one that put them there in the first place 🙁 Oh well. (By the way, thanks for sharing that with me! I know it can be hard to share spoilers, but personally I love them!!!)

Alexa Autorski
        @writerlexi1216

@abigail-m

YES! I know, it’s such a temptation that I’ve given up trying to restrain myself XD So excuse me if I put one thousand exclamation points everywhere… And *trying not to scream* I’m so ready for NaNo!! I mean, I’m sure my enthusiasm will probably burn out as I go along, but for now, I’m looking forward to it, and I’m pretty sure my family thinks I’m nuts… *sigh* Oh well. Maybe I am. *shrugs* Anyways, thanks again for doing it with me! I can’t tell you how much better it’s been knowing I’m doing it with a friend! Well, I didn’t finish the novel–it was more like half of a novel length–and it was about a dog named Dakota. Not my best work… *cringes* I still have it saved on my computer and don’t have the bravery to even click on it XD Yes, I’m half scared, huddling in the corner trying to prep before Thursday/half jumping up and down with excitement because I’m potentially finishing my first novel next month. So… yup. Definitely a lot of emotions 😀

Abigail.M.
          @abigail-m

@writerlexi1216

*GASPS* WHAT?! Who?!? I mean you don’t have to say if you prefer not to yet… (was it Ellis? Alana? Jestin? I think know that I’m going to have to buy a box of tissues in advance before I find out who…)

The thought of Deek being an uncle is so adorable! I love it so, so much:) And that sounds just as if not more so cute, that Deek teases Caira by saying, “I told you so”, after the confession, (which btw, I’m still not done fangirling about). I can just clearly picture Deek doing that:) *Sigh* Newton is so awesome too… how did he almost sacrifice himself? Was it by a sword too? Ah! So many questions now that I’ve gotten all curious about it:)
            I really love that about Caira, that she’s brave when it comes to defending them:)

Yes… sadly it is:( I decided it couldn’t be Filip because it would have gone against his whole character to ever turn against Mejia and Anton… Anton (not only is he my second favorite) had a much larger role to play and despises Artur, so that would never work.
            And there’s some foreshadowing of Morio’s unsure loyalties and even foreshadowing on his death… *I’m going to need tissues too, even though I wrote it*
            Yeah, that makes sense. I needed to make sure that if one of my beloved (that word feels a little ironic in this sentence) characters was going to die, it couldn’t be for nothing. The redemption was also very important to his character arc (even though it was sad and made Mejia feel worse yet relieved) since he was Mejia’s closest friend before turning traitor, well… Yeah, every time I feel sympathetic for them, I remember, ‘you put them there in the first place, Abigail!’ *Sigh* Being a writer can feel a little ironic sometimes…

Your welcome:)  (tbh, I enjoy talking about spoilers and hearing about them as well). 🙂

Abigail.M.
            @abigail-m

@writerlexi1216

NP!!!:D Thank you too, I’m super glad that we can both do it!! Same here:) I can’t wait to get started!!
              That’s still further than I got with mine:) But yeah, I don’t have the bravery to open up my old journal either XD

Same here. On one hand, I’m terrified and on the other, I already have ideas forming up and I’m really excited to be writing in another NaNoWriMo:) Very conflicting, but we can totally do it!!!:D 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Alexa Autorski
              @writerlexi1216

@abigail-m

Yes, I’m so nervous/excited about starting tomorrow!! 😀 We can do it, for sure! *pumps fist in the air* Yeah, even older drafts of Fortitude are pretty cringeworthy XD I mean, there’s so many things that changed along the way that I forget about. Hey, that’s great you’ve been getting ideas!! I wish you the best of writerly wishes 😉 Yay, we’ll totally reach our word counts! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Alexa Autorski
                @writerlexi1216

@abigail-m

*sniffles* *pulls out a wad of tissues* Well. . . I have a feeling it’ll be Alana, unfortunately. I know she’s one of the sweetest characters in the story as well as Caira’s best friend, but I think she ends up sacrificing herself for the group (especially Caira). The details about Alana’s death are still pretty fuzzy in my head, but it doesn’t happen until the third book, probably (which, in a way, makes it even sadder). But unfortunately, that’s who it is.

And thank you! I can picture all three of them in the future so clearly, and it makes me smile (is it weird that I feel like a mother to these characters? I feel like I’m watching them grow up already… *sniffles*) I’m so glad you asked! Later in the story, after the group has traveled to the castle, Caira gets herself in trouble sneaks into the palace trying to look for information. She finds what she’s looking for, but unfortunately, gets captured in the process. She’s dragged into the throne room to meet the king and, after being recognized as the Prodigy, is sentenced to death at the gallows. After Newton realizes that Caira has gone to the palace (he didn’t know she sneaked off to begin with), he goes after her, and ends up saving her life right before she can be hanged. The two of them quickly leave the palace, lucky to be alive. That’s the gist of it:) Hopefully I explained that well… I can be terrible at summarizing things sometimes.

AHHHHH, I just LOVE that so much!! I mean, I’m glad you didn’t choose Filip (that would’ve been so heartbreaking) or Anton (I couldn’t bear to read about him dying), but it’s still so sad that Morio dies. Oooh, I love foreshadowing! Especially since, after you’ve read about the twist, you can go back and find clues that you didn’t notice the first time. *Yes, I’m going to need more tissues than ever before for this beautiful story* Also, you’ve done an excellent job of crafting these characters, because I haven’t even read any of Morio’s scenes and I’m already devastated at the thought of his death! I feel so attached to all of these characters!! And I love redemptions, and I think it fits perfectly with Morio 😉 Haha, yes, it definitely can:) I’m glad I have a fellow spoiler-lover here, because I love talking/hearing about them 😀

Abigail.M.
                  @abigail-m

@writerlexi1216

What? ALANA?! *Grabs a mountain of tissues* I’m so glad that I have a warning because that is just so heartbreaking, I would be even more heartbroken if I didn’t know in advance, so at least I’m prepared. She is such a sweet sisterly character… *sobs*……*hours later*…….*sigh* characters just are never safe are they? *Sniffs* where was I? *Thinks about Alana and starts sobbing again* That’s so sad!! And it’s three times sadder that it happens in the final book… but, she is still one of the most amazing characters ever!
                    I better keep writing here…*sniffs again*

No, I don’t think it’s weird since you see them all through their growing up and all:)
                    *Gasps* That is such AMAZINGNESS!!!!!!!! Yeah, I don’t think ‘amazingness’ is a word, but it totally should be for the sake of that idea!!!:D Wait, is this the castle in the sky? Or another one?
                    I mean, it sounds terrifying and suspenseful and yet utterly awesome and heroic at the same time!! The scene where Newton saves her from the gallows must be pretty intense! Gosh, I can’t wait to read it someday!:D
                    You explained it better than I could have, (AH! THIS IS SO INCREDIBLE!!!)

Yes, I couldn’t even begin to imagine Filip turning traitor or Anton.
                    Oh definitely, foreshadowing is such an awesome tool that makes the readers look back and realize it was predestined in a way.

Aw, that means so much to hear, I mean you have no idea how happy that makes me!:D I sometimes worry that these characters aren’t exactly likable, so that is super reassuring that I’m not the only one that loves them:)

Abigail.M.
                    @abigail-m

@writerlexi1216

I wish you the best of writerly wishes too! WE CAN DEFINITELY DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Alexa Autorski
                      @writerlexi1216

@abigail-m

Yes, unfortunately… 🙁 I debated it a little while ago (she’s such a sweet character that I didn’t want to) but then decided to for the sake of the story. I mean, she gets to say her goodbyes to the group, but it’s still sad! *also pulls out tissues* *sniffles* But then again, I’m the one that put her there… We writers are cruel sometimes.

Aw, thank you!! I’m not sure how the scene will play out, but that’s the general idea, and I’m so glad you love it!! (Also, amazingness is most definitely a word;) I think it may be the castle in the sky, actually! The villains have a secret palace in the sky, which is where the group has to go near the end for the huge war that’s been brewing this whole time climax. Thank you so much!!! 😀 And yes, it is a pretty intense scene! But all is well in the end:) THANK YOU so much!!! All of your encouragement is pure NaNoWriMo writing fuel for me!!! 😀 It really means more than you’ll ever know:)

Yes, that would’ve been sooo heartbreaking to choose either of them. It’s still heartbreaking about Mor—No, no, I can’t say his name or else I start sniffling and crying again. *pulls out tissues slowly* Too late. *sniffles* *reads post about Morio’s death again* *sobs* Aw, killing characters is always so sad! But it can also be a great closing to a great character, too, and personally I really like them when written well:) Oh, you’re characters are extremely likable! *raises hand* No, I’m not just saying that. I really mean it! I thought TSW was awesome from the first time you mentioned it, but now that I’ve heard so much more about it? 100,000,00000 times more awesome!!! 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Abigail.M.
                        @abigail-m

@writerlexi1216

Yeah, we can be sometimes….. *glances nervously at my cast, but they’re too busy with a plot twist to notice* Being a writer can be so conflicting sometimes. POOR ALANA!!! I’ll start sobbing again if I don’t move on with this post (too late *grabs tissues*).

*A long while later* *sniffs*

Oh, cool! That’s good because ‘amazingness’ is one of the MANY awesome words that describe Fortitude!!!:D OOH!! This scene sounds so awesome, I love the way it’s building up!! *Nearly falls out of chair from excitement at the thought of reading it someday* SO INCREDIBLE!!!:D And ditto! Your encouragement is like the best fuel for NaNoWriMo writing in general in the universe!!!

Abigail.M.
                          @abigail-m

@writerlexi1216

Yeah, that’s true too.
                            And THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I mean you have no idea how much it means to me that you like my characters and TSW so much!!!:D

(Oh shoot, I just realized I was exposed to move these responses to NaNoWriMo HQ. Sorry about that).

Alexa Autorski
                            @writerlexi1216

@abigail-m

Oooh, plot twist? Yay, those are so fun to write! Is it one that I’ve heard before? Yes, I know! Being a writer is just… *sigh* definitely arguing with your characters to cooperate conflicting. Aww, thank you! I considered not killing Alana, but it just feels right, so unfortunately I went with it. *still upset about Morio’s death over here*

Aw, thanks so much! 😀 Honestly, all of this encouragement from you has just been the greatest thing ever and makes me feel all warm inside!:) I just never expected to have such a dedicated fan, but it’s such an amazing feeling to know somebody likes my story! And thank you! It’ll probably sound a lot better when written than my summary, haha. I’m still signing you a free copy if you’d like one when it’s published 😉 And of course! I’m so excited about your story and can’t help but ramble about it!:) Your characters are just so lovely and I can’t wait to read about them even MORE!! Oh, no you’re fine! Don’t worry about it!:)

Abigail.M.
                              @abigail-m

These will probably be the last scenes I post for a little while and they aren’t finished draft quality at all, but I thought I’d post them anyway:)
                                Tagging: @writerlexi1216 🙂 In case you wanted to read them:)

1# (This was an excerpt from the scene where Artur convinces Morio to join him).

Morio hesitated slightly, “what could I do? What possible difference could it make to you who I side with?”

Artur hid another grin as he heard the waver in Morio’s defenses, “you can help me capture The Snow Warrior.”

2# (This one is kind of long, but oh well:)

Filip found his fingers had become nerveless to the point that he could scarcely hold the flawless crystalline IceDrop in his gloved fingers.
                                Mejia was only a shoulder length in front of him. She was staring intently into the scene of Destal that was unfolded below them, her elbows on the fence’s low wooden link and her forearms casually crossed over each other. 

It was only exposed to be her shift as a guard, but Mejia did not like to waste her opportunities, and as long as she had to be awake in these late and terrible hours of the night, she was going to take full advantage of them and do a share of what she liked to call ‘close observation,’ Anton called it spying.

Observing or spying, either way, Filip had offered to help. 

Mejia had told him that he would make better use of his time sleeping instead of watching the lights of Destal too because all that was needed was one set of eyes. But Filip had argued that he could not sleep, that he felt slightly ill and the cold air of night would probably help him.

Mejia did not have all night to bicker and finally agreed. But first, she had forced him to see Anton before he came with her, to see if Anton could figure out what was wrong with him. She told him that he could find her on the cliff-top when he was through. 

Filip didn’t argue with this. But when he made it to Anton’s tent and explained why he was there so late, he said that he was fine really and whatever he had most likely wasn’t illness after all.

Anton was too tired to take Filip’s word for it and examined him anyway, trying to ask how he felt ill, to which Filip again tried to make his point that he was fine. But Anton knew better than that. 

“Oh, you’re ill alright,” Anton said, shining a light in Filip’s face, “and it’s something you probably won’t be recovering from.”

“What?” Filip asked, suddenly alarmed, his hands clutched the sides of his makeshift chair that had been made up of a woodpile, “will I die from it?”

Anton walked back over to his trunk and blew the candle out, letting the moonlight flow into the tent through the open canvas door. He had very few candles left and didn’t have the roubles to buy more.
                                “I doubt it,” Anton said as he hung his cloak on a staff that was leaned in the corner, “but it won’t be any good for your head that’s for certain.”
                                “Just tell me already,” Filip said, a small rise of impatience flickered in him.

“It’s simple Filip,” Anton said calmly, “you are lovesick… and as far as I know about medicine, there is no cure for you, so,” he picked up Filip’s cloak and showed him outside, “watch your feet, don’t tug at your cloak… and try not to do anything stupid, that is a very common side effect.”

He handed Filip his cloak,closed the door, and secured it from the inside so no one else would come wandering in to disturb his sleep.

Lack of sleep, Filip noticed, brung out a very sarcastic side of Anton. 

3#

Now Mejia wasn’t on the best of terms with Ivatoust, and thence she couldn’t enter the traditional way by walking straight in and climbing a rope or ladder into the house. She could have perhaps done that successfully enough by night. But even night wasn’t always the best method of entering because youths would often throw bonfire gatherings and the village Leader would post guards during those late hours, which were more ceremonial than anything, but certainly not something to be shrugged at either. 

Instead of simply relying on the shadows of nightfall, Mejia had discovered long ago, a much more effective way to reach her destination. 

She checked and doubled checked that no one could see her and as quick as a rabbit, she sprung up the trunk of the tree she had been sheltering behind. It was a good and lucky thing that the people below had too many more important things to occupy them than the prospect of looking up to the sky. Otherwise, they would have seen the young warrior, tree walking above their heads some ways up. The wind and sun were also in Mejia’s favor as the gusts set the branches shaking, making any movement in the shadows below seem natural and as if they belonged there. 

Mejia scanned the rooftops stretched before her, there were nearly thirty. Some smaller than others, some taller, some made of different materials, some that were straight, some were sloped, some had been damaged by falling branches, and some were more well kept than others. But the one that Mejia wanted was the one that appeared amateurly thatched, sturdied by overlays of birch and ironwood branches, and had a red cape nailed right next to its smoke latch. The occupant that that roof belonged to had put the cape there so Mejia would be able to easily know which was the right roof. Mejia smiled. The dirty, tattered red swatch of fabric was a beautiful sight to see after so long, as Mejia hadn’t been here in nearly two months.

Alexa Autorski
                                @writerlexi1216

@abigail-m

YAY YOU POSTED MORE SCENES!!! *fangirls* Eeeek, thank you so much for tagging me!!! 😀 And *gasps* I have so much to say about these snippets of your story that I don’t know where to start!!!

#1 I love The Snow Warrior

#2 I really, really love The Snow Warrior

#3 WHEN CAN I BUY THIS BOOK BECAUSE THIS STORY IS AMAZING AND I JUST LOVE THE SETTING AND THE CHARACTERS AND EVERYTHING!!! THIS IS MY KIND OF STORY FOR CERTAIN!

*takes deep breath* And no, that was not an exaggeration in the slightest!! I mean, THESE ARE AMAZING, and your writing style is just incredible, girl!! The first one was practically bone-chilling–I mean, on one hand I’m shouting to Morio that it’s a bad decision, and on the other hand, it’s such an incredible plot twist that I adore it! The second one… *melts* THAT WAS ADORABLE and have I mentioned how much I LOVE Mejia and Filip? Plus, your descriptions were absolutely wonderful (and also I love Anton so much)! And #3 was just chock-full of gorgeous imagery!! Thank you for sharing this!! 😀 And *gasps* this is the last you’ll post of it for a little while? *hides in room and begins writing a lengthy poem about despair* Well, I loved reading these, and I can’t wait to read the whole story a million and a half times over! 😀 😀 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 200 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >