Back Stories, the thing that shapes life

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Back Stories, the thing that shapes life

Viewing 7 posts - 151 through 157 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    LoopyLin
    @loopylin
      • Total Posts: 2017

@whalekeeper

YES, this. I’ve tried to explain this to some people and they don’t get it for some reason.

I think people tend to forget that humans are irrational. We don’t always do things that make sense. So writers try to rationalize their characters’ bad behavior by giving them tragic backstories.

(Maybe? Idk, just a theory)

Space Princess ✨🪐 intp artist

Whaley
      @whalekeeper
        • Total Posts: 2588

@loopylin

Like Gravity Falls! (Have you seen it? It’s the best) You never even see the parents’ faces.

Oh, like with the Peanuts? I haven’t watched it, but I might now that you’ve recommended it. Hilda became a hit in our household, and I was watching it a couple nights back when I first got sick, trying to catch up XD Off topic, but did you see the third season?

Awww thanks :]

Ofc!!

KaPeefers 'til we're old and gray...

Cloaked Mystery
        @jonas
          • Total Posts: 2624

@loopylin

Yes, that’s what I was saying.

🏰 Fantasy Writer
          ✨ Magic System Creator
          🎭 Character RPer
          📚 Appreciator of Books

Whaley
          @whalekeeper

@loopylin

I think people tend to forget that humans are irrational. We don’t always do things that make sense. So writers try to rationalize their characters’ bad behavior by giving them tragic backstories.

(Maybe? Idk, just a theory)

Right. Someone I was talking to was like, “there always has to be a reason!” And I’m like, “uh, sinful nature.” Yes, this character has daddy issues, but I’m not going to reward him for his selfish attitude, I’m going to call him out for it and punish him in-story. Even a person with perfect parents and a loving environment is going to be selfish. And sometimes those simple, inexcusable sins are the most satisfying to handle. Think episodic storytelling – a slow build-up of learning how to be a better person.

LoopyLin
            @loopylin

@whalekeeper

Oh, like with the Peanuts?

XD  No. It’s a Disney cartoon that has just two seasons. It has fun characters and a really well planned out story with a good ending.

It’s about two siblings, Dipper and Mabel, who go to their great uncle’s (gruncle’s) house for the summer. Their gruncle lives in Gravity Falls, a tiny town in Oregon where strange things happen regularly.

It also has a really weird sense of humor which I really enjoy, but I’m a bit strange so…

Off topic, but did you see the third season?

No 🙁  I only saw the first before we got rid of Netflix

LoopyLin
              @loopylin

@whalekeeper

Right. Someone I was talking to was like, “there always has to be a reason!” And I’m like, “uh, sinful nature.” Yes, this character has daddy issues, but I’m not going to reward him for his selfish attitude, I’m going to call him out for it and punish him in-story. Even a person with perfect parents and a loving environment is going to be selfish. And sometimes those simple, inexcusable sins are the most satisfying to handle. Think episodic storytelling – a slow build-up of learning how to be a better person.

E x a c t l y.

You’re much better at putting this into words than I am :]

Whaley
                @whalekeeper

@loopylin

XD  No. It’s a Disney cartoon that has just two seasons. It has fun characters and a really well planned out story with a good ending.

Good to know.

It also has a really weird sense of humor which I really enjoy, but I’m a bit strange so…

That’s the best kind of humor XD

No 🙁  I only saw the first before we got rid of Netflix

Shoot – it’s pretty much the same, except I felt like Hilda’s mother got more screen time, which I loved, and they are teenagers now.

You’re much better at putting this into words than I am :]

You put it into words first and prompted me *curtsies where it is due*

Viewing 7 posts - 151 through 157 (of 157 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >