@spradlin
Active 8 years, 6 months ago- Rank: Loyal Sidekick
- Total Posts: 189
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic I need help with a line in my story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Ohhhhhhhhhh… somehow I missed that they were animals. *oops*
Sorry about that. 😛
Or… are they animals? Are Anna and her parents animals? Or are you just looking for a good line that will fit with both animals and humans?If so…
Well, let’s see. Oh boy. Ummmm… *squinches eyes up meditatively* ‘Just because life is dangerous doesn’t mean…[Read more]
-
BlueJay replied to the topic I need help with a line in my story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
@kate-flournoy – Thanks. That’s a good way to say it for humans but I’m not sure if it works for animals. Here is the other part of the story where it is used.
“Savanna’s not a pet, Anna.”
“Yeah, I know but…”
“No ‘buts’.”
“But I want her to be safe. It’s so dangerous out there. Anything could happen.”
I could feel tears coming to my…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@rolena-hatfield I told her. She’s a quiet little thing of few words, but I could tell she was pleased. 😀
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic I need help with a line in my story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Hey Tessa Just! Australia— that’s so cool! 🙂 Welcome to the forum.
What about just ‘ Life is full of dangers, but that shouldn’t stop us from living it.”
-
BlueJay replied to the topic I need help with a line in my story in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
You’ll all have to excuse spelling errors and grammatical problems. I am dreadful with checking my own work. *And I call myself a writer!!!!!!!!!!!* 😀
-
BlueJay started the topic I need help with a line in my story in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 9 months ago
G’day All, (I’m Australian)
Yes, I am new to the forum but I have been following it quite closely. But I got stuck while writing a short story and I decided to see what you guys could come up with.
Here is part of the story and the line I don’t like.“Us? Go to Africa? How could we afford it? Think how dangerous – and anyway we’re both…[Read more]
-
BlueJay started the topic I need help with a line in my story in the forum Start HERE 10 years, 9 months ago
G’day All, (I’m Australian)
Yes, I am new to the forum but I have been following it quite closely. But I got stuck while writing a short story and I decided to see what you guys could come up with.
Here is part of the story and the line I don’t like.“Us? Go to Africa? How could we afford it? Think how dangerous – and anyway we’re both…[Read more]
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
My favourite word – verbose. Best word I ever found!!! 😛
-
BlueJay replied to the topic Perfect love poem in the forum Poetry Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Wow! I loved your poem. I am really bad at writing poetry, so I really admire those who can. As to titles- *rubs hands together*
Perfect Love
Breaking Free
No Fear in Love
Casting out Fear
1 John 4:18
Because of God’s Love
Love verses Fear
God is Love
Well, that’s all I can think of off the top of my head. 🙂 -
Hope Ann replied to the topic The CleverNav in the forum Sci-Fi 10 years, 9 months ago
Love the changing voice and how CleverNav tries to drive Sterling off a cliff. And the muffled ‘arrived’. 🙂
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Lovely Words in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
My five year old sister contributes— I kid you not, she made up this word on the spur of the moment, and I was dreadfully impressed.
I don’t remember exactly what she made it up about— I think she was talking about my hair, which has a tendency to curl if left loose. Anyway. Here’s the word. You ready?
Swoogley. She said my hair was…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Text conversations in fiction in the forum Novel Idea Critiques 10 years, 9 months ago
Well, the way you have it seems good to me! Another way to do it would be to italicize and quotationize… *sigh* These made-up words will be the death of me yet. To italicize and place inside quotation marks the text messages, just to define them and make them more noticeably something not part of the actual text. (No pun intended).
Question—…[Read more]
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The CleverNav in the forum Sci-Fi 10 years, 9 months ago
Probably most the CleverNav— I only started choking when Sterling tossed it under the seat and it changed the voice chip.
Just the whole concept behind the malicious navigator was so hilarious… especially to someone like me who absolutely hates both giving and receiving directions for fear something will go wrong.
Also, the humor works with…[Read more] -
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic The CleverNav in the forum Sci-Fi 10 years, 9 months ago
Glad it was helpful! I wish I could find more to pick on, and so prolong the discussion of this topic, but I really can’t. Not that that’s not a good problem to have… 😉
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Yes— it's Another One in the forum Novel Critique Requests 10 years, 9 months ago
YES. Exactly. Denholm frightens people with that. If his cover gets blown and someone notices he’s tired, he just laughs at them or ignores them, depending on what mood he’s in, until he can’t possibly go on any longer. 😛
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Kindle Publishing in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@dbhgodreigns Thanks so much. And a question about Scrivener. It looks cool, but with regards to formatting, how much more use would it be than Microsoft? I’m currently using Kindle’s Textbook Creator (though I’ve not done much with it yet) to make and export my book…
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Kindle Publishing in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
I’ll even make sure G doesn’t find out you said such things.
Thank you. Thank you from the depths of my heart.
*snickers into hand* Don’t mind me, guys. I’m just… yeah. Don’t mind me.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Dystopias: Beneficial or Unbeneficial? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@hope said it, Masyn. 🙂
Believe it or not, I don’t think I’ve ever read a dystopian novel, but I definitely know what the genre is.
I will just say a couple of things though. I would say a dystopian story where the hero loses would have more potential for harm than otherwise. Assuming the hero stood for freedom and virtue etc.— everything…[Read more]
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Kindle Publishing in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
@kate-flournoy A guinea-pig! Now you tell me. 😉 But then, as the oldest in my family, I’ve been the guinea-pig my whole life; I suppose I’m used to it. I’ll even make sure G doesn’t find out you said such things.
-
Hope Ann replied to the topic Dystopias: Beneficial or Unbeneficial? in the forum General Writing Discussions 10 years, 9 months ago
I don’t think there is anything inherently better or worse about dystopian fiction when compared to any other fiction. In books, the hero almost always saves the day in some why or another because well, that’s what the hero does, I suppose. Though no matter what the genre, if the book is told from a Christian worldview, then the character will…[Read more]
- Load More
