Text conversations in fiction

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Idea Critiques Text conversations in fiction

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ivy Rose
    @ivy-rose
      • Total Posts: 102

I am trying to figure out the best way to include text conversations in one of my WIP’s. Book is in 3rd person. There are so many different ways that I’ve found to put texting conversations in books, but I can’t decide which is best/most clear.

Here are two snippets to show what I have done so far. (Very rough draft…please don’t judge.)

“Dad, Rhett,” the top read. Chelsea swiped her finger along screen. She had set up a group text with her dad and Rhett a few days ago.
      Love ya, lil girl. That was from her dad.
      Txt when ur in Denver, Rhett said.
      Chelsea tapped the screen to bring up the keyboard. Miss you already. Moving now. Will txt when landed.

And the other:
      Made it to Dallas. No probs. Eating lunch at my gate. This is a big aprt.
      Rhett responded almost instantly. Glad to hear it. What’s for lunch?
      Chelsea took a bite of her sandwich, grinning. Of course Rhett would ask about her food. Turkey sandwich.
      Oh. Is it good?
      I’ve only taken one bite. But yes.
      Her dad joined the conversation. How was the flight?
      Fine. I had a chatty lady sitting next to me. Good distraction. 🙂 What r u guys doing?

Other ideas I’ve seen are italic and bold the texts, italics in quotations, smaller font size, or completely different font.

If you were reading a book that included text conversations, what would you prefer?

• This topic was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Ivy Rose.
      Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Well, the way you have it seems good to me! Another way to do it would be to italicize and quotationize… *sigh* These made-up words will be the death of me yet. To italicize and place inside quotation marks the text messages, just to define them and make them more noticeably something not part of the actual text. (No pun intended).

Question— is Chelsea afraid of flying? 🙂

Ivy Rose
        @ivy-rose

Thanks Kate! I was thinking that quotes might make it clearer, not only for the reader but for me! 🙂

Love your made up words, by the way. And the pun is awesome. 😉

No, Chelsea isn’t particularly afraid of flying, but she is scared and sad to be leaving her family to attend college on the opposite side of the States, where she will be living with grandparents she’s never met. 🙂

Rosey Mucklestone
          @writefury
            • Total Posts: 467

Looks good for the most part. I’d maybe start a new paragraph when a text starts? Not sure, it just might make it stand out more.

Ivy Rose
            @ivy-rose

Good idea, Rosey. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >