-
Snapper replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@the-bean I know exactly what you mean.
You know you’re a writer when cutting an onion turns into an epic drama.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Bless us and splash us, Precious, another Newbie! in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@emma-flournoy Yep, I learned it from the map, and spent lots of time studying and practicing it. I have the alphabet memorized now.
-
Snapper replied to the topic Writers' Corner #3 in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@bluejay @kate-flournoy @daeus @jess @winter-rose @overcomer Anybody writing tonight?
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Bless us and splash us, Precious, another Newbie! in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@Dragon-Snapper Oh, okay. Is there a key of some sort in the back of your copy, or are you learning it from the map?
@Ethryndal Yep, the books are better for the most part. I think there was a little less bad language in the movie though, for which I was happy. 😛
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Little Peoples in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
The most helpful thing I can probably say that hasn’t already been said is that too often little ones are written as adorable angels— cute for cute’s sake, which is not cute in the least. It’s shallow. Kids are complex humans in the making, and if you focus on that they’ll be cute as a side effect anyway.
Also, because they are still growing…[Read more] -
Snapper replied to the topic Bless us and splash us, Precious, another Newbie! in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@hope AAAAHHHHH!!!! I can’t wait till I get a sword! *my preciouss*
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Bless us and splash us, Precious, another Newbie! in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@emma-flournoy Yes, the Anthony Andrews one. I liked it, which is why I decided to read the book. Books are always better. Especially ones written in the 1900’s.
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Bless us and splash us, Precious, another Newbie! in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@hope Ah yes, you’re the one who I’ve heard from a trusted source on this thread that has, and I quote, “all the weapons, even a sword”. I stand in complete awe. And good luck on NaNo! I don’t know how you people can take the stress. If I were to do it, my family would probably lock me in the closet out of self preservation…:)
@ingridrd Thank…[Read more]
-
Snapper replied to the topic Bless us and splash us, Precious, another Newbie! in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@emma-flournoy Actually, I used the Hobbit. The Return of the King version is a more modern version of dwarvish. The Hobbit is the older tongue.
@ethryndal Only the runes. I don’t know how to pronounce anything… but maybe I should learn. -
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Little Peoples in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Anne-of-Lothlorien Something I’ve noticed in books with little kids (and I can currently pull zero examples from my memory. 🙁 I know I’ve seen it somewhere.) is that they seem to be too stereotypically good. That might sound ridiculous, but what I mean is, they seem too wise, and too un-foolish, and too sweet and helpful. I know children are…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic I Wrote This in the forum Music 9 years, 10 months ago
@Anne-of-Lothlorien If I were reading it as a poem, I think cadence of several lines would need tweaking. But since you said not to read it as a poem, since it’s got a tune and so will fit differently (did you compose the tune yourself?), I like it. 🙂 Since I don’t know the tune, I can’t say whether any of those lines’ cadence ought to be changed…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic The Mind of a Writer in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Anne-of-Lothlorien Lessee… *goes back to find topic in my posting history*
Here it is. Blank Mastermind
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Bless us and splash us, Precious, another Newbie! in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@Ethryndal Oh, which movie? The Anthony Andrews one? That’s the only one I’ve seen, and I love it, though it’s not really accurate. 😛 Keep reading the books.
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
You know you’re a writer when you can never read a book or watch a movie without lapsing into an intense inner argument about how capably the writers handled the character development or plot structure. And yes, with the strange writers’ voice in your head. I’ve named mine Siri. I turn her on when I need to practice being outgoing.
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Bless us and splash us, Precious, another Newbie! in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@emma-flornouy I watched the movie first, but I’m reading the original book now. Books are always better. *grins wildly like a lunatic* Because I like it. Very much.
And in a way, I agree, Thrainduil was a jerk. But I also find him to be a very interesting character, (sorry, @anne-of-lothlorien) primarily because of how his backstory affects his…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
@Anne-of-Lothlorien What, did the Starburst wrapper taste bad or something?
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Inspirational Songs and Music Videos in the forum Music 9 years, 10 months ago
That, my dear @Anne-of-Lothlorien , is equivocation on the word ‘head’. *points stern finger at you* I meant my literal head. 😀 Yesyesyesyesyes I know that’s beside the point. 😛 I have most certainly already lost it.
*trembling mouth* Y-you wanted to do…something t-terrible to Tolkien??! Oh…DEAR. This is most saddening. 😛
-
Snapper replied to the topic You know you are a writer when… in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 10 months ago
You know you’re a writer when cleaning your room turns into a battle scene.
-
Ethryndal replied to the topic Bless us and splash us, Precious, another Newbie! in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
@anne-of-lothlorien Hey, when you master defying gravity, wanna teach me? You never know when you might be stuck on a falling tower.
And Galadriel is choking at my very improper spelling of “do you want to”.
My studies actually take place in Lothlorien. Strange that we should not have met until now, but such is the way of the Elves, I suppose.…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Bless us and splash us, Precious, another Newbie! in the forum Start HERE 9 years, 10 months ago
Oh wow @Dragon-Snapper you’ve actually taught yourself Dwarvish! Did you teach yourself from the resources in the back of The Return of the King?
@Anne-of-Lothlorien I really don’t want to be raining on any parades, but if you liked Gimli at all my conscience feels bound to tell you he didn’t die. It is said that he sailed with Legolas across the…[Read more]
- Load More
