Bless us and splash us, Precious, another Newbie!

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Bless us and splash us, Precious, another Newbie!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Ethryndal
    @ethryndal
      • Total Posts: 1013

Mae Govannen!

I suppose I ought to introduce myself, for no other reason than it’s what everyone else has done, and far be it from me to be the odd one out. I am new here (as I’m sure you’ve guessed) so… hi.

Alright. About myself. I am partly insane. Well, not exactly. Really, I’m mostly insane. Alright. I’m completely insane. Don’t judge me.

I am also a huge Tolkien fan, as my manner of greeting might suggest. In fact, I am an Elf’s intern, spending my spare time learning to be Galadriel. And the other spare time making swords out of cardboard and tin foil and begging my mother to get me a real one. She won’t say yes. Yet.

I have wanted to be a writer ever since I learned how to read, am working on writing a fantasy book at the moment, and won second place in the second division of Patrick Henry College’s ‘A Call to Pens’ short story contest, a pinnacle moment of my life that I am told will not repeat itself very often. But hey, I take what I can get.

At the moment I am working on the finer details of commerce and politics of a certain lower class city in my world, and when I’m not doing that, I’m trying to figure out why Fairies might have wings that aren’t meant for flying. It’s a crucial detail with an undefined answer. Frustrating.

So, here I am, world. I have heard that this is (and I quote) the “bestistest forum ever”, and you can’t get much better than that. Except for places that are besistestistest. But I digress.

Namarie!
      ~Ethryndal

• This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Ethryndal.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

BlueJay
      @bluejay
        • Total Posts: 1622

Welcome to the bestistestistest place @Ethryndal.

You’ve come to the write place for insane people. 😉 We are all more or less insane ourselves. But rather more than less. 🙂

Congratulations on winning second place. Very rewarding for all the work that goes into writing.

What genre do you like writing? Fantasy??? What are your favourite books? Other than Tolkien. 🙂

Maybe the fairies have those other wings for decoration. Good luck with your searching. That is probably one of my favourite parts of writing: exploring and finding out all sorts of new and wonderful facts. What about you? What’s your favourite part?

Do you know how the tags work? So basically all you need to find them is click on the person’s profile picture. The @word is their tag. Not everyone has their tag under the name. I do and you do, but other people don’t. You’ll pick them up though as you use them.

Are you doing NaNoWriMo?

What are some of your likes beside from writing?

And just in case you haven’t figure out yet with my spelling, I’m Aussie. So you can now tell everyone that you know someone from down under. (If you didn’t already)

😉 Enjoy your time here. *Precioussss….*

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

Hey, you’re are first elf on here so far, @Ethryndal. Watch out for the dragons.

I was about to say that I entered the same contest, but then I realized I actually didn’t 😛 Double congratulations because you didn’t procrastinate like I did.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

Greetings, Mellon!
            I love your topic title. 😉
            I also entered the Call to Pens— congratulations on second place. 😀
            And believe it or not, you are the first elf. I’m one of the dragons @Daeus warned about, but I’m really not that scary. Too small. 😉 Welcome to the Realm of the KeePers, @Ethryndal.

Emma Flournoy
            @emma-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 1352

@Ethryndal You will never, never be judged for insanity in this place. Out of the question. Welcome, welcome, and—a million times welcome. 😛

Learning to be Galadriel, eh? What’s that like?

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper
                • Total Posts: 3515

@ethryndal
                Greetings, elf. It is not often we meet one of the fair people. In fact, we’ve not had an elf for a millennia, not that I would know. I’m a dragonling, but not quite as big as Smaug and not as small as @kate-flournoy. No, I’m about the size of the average Night Fury (and that’s saying something, seeing as there is only one Night Fury)
                Oh, and the reason @daeus was warning you to watch out was because, whenever I get a little jumpty, I melt chairs, and occasionally phones. *shrugs* What can I say? I’m a Dragon Snapper.
                Now, if you want to join in with the craziness of the rest of us, check out the topic The Mind of a Writer by Yours Truly. There is the place to post all the crazy things we do and think as writers, as you might notice by reading at least one of an MBTI posts (and if you don’t understand it, don’t worry. You won’t be the only one. *whispers* I may be referring to myself) And if you want your insanity to remain under wraps, that’s fine too. But as @emma-flournoy assures you just as I reassure you now, you shall not be judged.
                Either way, I hand you a scroll of elvish letters which will eventually translate into poetic greetings. *hands you scroll* Welcome, maelon, to the land of the pen.
                -Dragon Snapper-

*This very long introduction and welcome is brought to you by Dragon Snapping Inc. We do not take responsibility for any melted chairs, phones, computers, etc.*

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Ethryndal
                @ethryndal

@Daeus @kate-flournoy Wow, the first Elf. I’m not certain whether to feel extremely proud, or a little lonely…:)

@bluejay
                  Yes, I write fantasy. There’s so much to this world that I figure I might as well spend all my time figuring out another, completely unreal one. But hey, nothing in the imagination is fake, right? And hopefully, the more I write about it, the more real it becomes. That’s probably my favorite part of writing: Creating. Taking something that isn’t and making it is. Developing the inner workings of cities and countries that are all my own. Turning a name into a character that I literally cry over when I kill.

I hope I’m not the only demented soul who does that. 🙂

And as my love for creating might suggest, I am an artist. I draw. A lot. It’s probably what I do most, besides writing, and being Galadriel.

As far as favorite books….yeesh, do you really want me to tell you all of them? Because we both might be here for a really long time…. But to sum them up, Chronicles of Narnia are probably top, after, of course, Tolkien, and quickly followed by the Hundred Cupboards and Gregor the Overlander….to name a few….

@emma-flournoy
                  Well for one thing, I’ve got to master the perfect creepy look. As in, “I know what it is you saw”-out-of-the-corners-of-my-eyes-etc.

And @dragon-snapper you can melt my chair and my phone, just as long as you don’t melt my pencil. Because then I fear that my Elven instincts might induce me to draw my mighty bow Rainir and look to see if you have a missing scale somewhere. But as long as you are not Smaug, and have the manners of a Night Fury, and don’t take over my mountain anytime soon, I feel quite certain, Mellon, that we can dwell together in harmony in this fair land of fellow insane writers.

~Ethryndal

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 1486

@ethryndal
                    *jumps out of the shadows and pushes back hood*
                    Welcome, Welcome, and yet again, Welcome!
                    Your an elf? Awesomeness! Can you put in a good word for me with Galadriel? I’d like to visit Lothlorien sometime and I’m not sure she’d let me in, for I fear I am only a mere mortal with a cape. 🙂
                    My mom hasn’t said yes to my sword requests either. Nice to know I’m not the only one. 🙂
                    See you around! For Narnia and for Aslan!
                    *Retreats back into the shadows*

Ethryndal
                    @ethryndal

@winter-rose
                      We need to start a foundation for poor children whose only material desire in life is to get a real sword.

Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 1486

@Ethryndal 🙂 🙂 🙂 Swords for Children! I’m sure all parents everywhere would love the idea. 🙂

Emma Flournoy
                        @emma-flournoy
                          • Total Posts: 1352

@Ethryndal I know that look. 😛

Jess
                          @jess
                            • Total Posts: 575

@Ethryndal *rushes in “late”, as usual* But, you see, a wizard is never late, [s]he arrives precisely when [s]he means to. Hello, fellow Tolkien lover! You’ll fit right in here 😉
                            According to my picture, most people have assumed I am an unicorn, but actually, I am a shapeshifter. No one really knows what my true form is, but many have speculated. Put in a good word to Galadriel for me too. 🙂

I actually take a sword class, but alas, I do not have a sword either. (I do have a rather hard pvc sword that could inflict some damage, however.) 😛

Daeus
                            @daeus

@jess Really? Is it fencing, traditional sword fighting, stage fighting, or some sort of modern swordsmanship?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Jess
                              @jess
                                • Total Posts: 575

@Daeus, It’s Historic Medieval Fencing Arts. (So, I suppose traditional) We only meet once a month, so it’s not that serious, (Although I would love to take some of the serious classes that are more frequent) but the instructor stays accurate to the art of the sword, and it is very applicable to writing. 😉

Daeus
                                @daeus

@jess That’s sweet. I always wanted to do that. I did fencing for about 2 1/2 years as a foil and did a little informal study into the rapier, small sword, and broadsword. Of course, fencing isn’t entirely true to traditional sword fighting, but the basics of it are still the same. Do you do medieval broadswords, rapiers, other? Ever done it with an additional cloak, dagger, or buckler? I’ve always wanted to use those extras.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >