-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Translation Troubles! Help!!! in the forum Book Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
@GracieGirl Read Les Mis. It will not disappoint. (Unless you read the wrong version, perhaps. 😉 )
The version I read was a Signet Classic, complete and unabridged version, translated by Lee Fahenstock and Norman MacAfee. Here’s a link, just so you can see which one it is…I’m not sure if we bought it from here or not but am pretty certain it’s…[Read more] -
Gracie replied to the topic Translation Troubles! Help!!! in the forum Book Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
@daeus Thanks!
-
Daeus replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@emma-flournoy Well, ok, I took a bit of a liberty with the wording there. Often in a synopsis “will” means what will happen in the story, not that there is no way in the story it couldn’t have happened a different way. That was the intent. It could be taken either way, but I made his reaction an assumption. I mean, saying, “a long-hidden truth…[Read more]
-
Daeus replied to the topic Translation Troubles! Help!!! in the forum Book Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
This is the copy I read of the count of monte cristo. It’s the only translation I’ve read, but it felt very well done. https://www.amazon.com/Count-Monte-Cristo-Everymans-Library/dp/0307271129/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1488249837&sr=8-6&keywords=the+count+of+monte+cristo
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@Daeus I thought so but couldn’t figure out which—the girl’s, his, or the man’s, and why it necessarily would endanger his life.
-
Daeus replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@emma-flournoy The truth is the identity truth.
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
-
Kate Flournoy replied to the topic Amnesia? in the forum Sci-Fi 9 years, 7 months ago
@Northerner ha! 😀 It may or may not have crossed my mind…
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
Stirring…moving…
Wow, that’s a lot of words. 😐
I’d like stirring, or moving, or poignant bittersweetness fine…
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@Daeus I like that replacing of the last sentence. I went through and tried to find everything it was talking about based on having read the book now and I don’t catch exactly what the long-hidden truth that will (will, not just might) threaten his life is…but I’m assuming I’m just looking at it the wrong way, so go do. I know you wouldn’t have…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Let's talk about Jean Valjean. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
@Christi-Eaton That last scene sounds like how I’ve read the musical ends…is the play based on the musical, I wonder?
But wow, you sure sound to have had loads of fun. 😀 Sobbing on stage does seem it’d be quite an interesting experience. I might like it if I ever had the chance, provided I could make myself really cry. 😛 Not just fake-sob. It…[Read more] -
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Let's talk about Jean Valjean. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
@Christi-Eaton That last scene sounds like how I’ve read the musical ends…is the play based on the musical, I wonder?
But wow, you sure sound to have had loads of fun. 😀 Sobbing on stage does seem it’d be quite an interesting experience. I might like it if I ever had the chance, provided I could make myself really cry. 😛 Not just fake-sob. It…[Read more] -
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Call for beta readers in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@Spradlin Thanks a ton!
-
Daeus replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@graciegirl Oh, boy. That’s a terrible feeling. Yeah, don’t worry a bit. I like getting your critique. It takes a lot to offend me.
As for the corrections, I’ll have to give them some more thought. At the moment, I’m considering replacing the current last sentence with, “In a twist of fate, he is forced to confront the shattering of everything he…[Read more]
-
Gracie replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@daeus Okay, please don’t…er, dislike me for this, but I have a suggestion for fixing the ‘everything he fights for shattered’ dilemma. It may be kinda drastic but….at the very least it might get you unstuck.
(Starting from: ‘a deep uncertainty surrounding his destiny.’)
Under* the mysterious guise of Edwin Brook, Matthew returns years…[Read more]
-
Gracie replied to the topic Amnesia? in the forum Sci-Fi 9 years, 7 months ago
@rachelle At the risk of simply echoing everyone else: This is brilliant! You should totally do it! 🙂
-
Daeus replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@emma-flournoy Hmm. Do you think I should make it just bittersweetness?
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@Daeus What Kate said about ruined and shattered. 😉
For lingering bittersweetness, that works in itself (though somehow it doesn’t seem strong enough for how strong it actually is, in the book…), but doesn’t that make the rest of the sentence kind of redundant? To say ‘a lingering bittersweetness that won’t be easily forgotten’? You judge if…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Book Description Opinions in the forum Novel Critique Requests 9 years, 7 months ago
@Daeus What Kate said about ruined and shattered. 😉
For lingering bittersweetness, that works in itself (though somehow it doesn’t seem strong enough for how strong it actually is, in the book…), but doesn’t that make the rest of the sentence kind of redundant? To say ‘a lingering bittersweetness that won’t be easily forgotten’? Maybe it’s…[Read more]
-
Emma Flournoy replied to the topic Let's talk about Jean Valjean. in the forum General Writing Discussions 9 years, 7 months ago
@Christi-Eaton Well it’s not so terrible you didn’t do the musical—regular plays are awesome too—just that I’d thought it was the musical when it wasn’t. 😛 Was it a famous play?
And who were you singing a lullaby to as Cosette…?Yes. So many emotions.
- Load More
