Translation Troubles! Help!!!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Translation Troubles! Help!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Gracie
    @graciegirl
      • Total Posts: 889

Hey, everyone! Recently, I’ve been on the lookout for some literary bangers to tackle in my free time, and a few that I’ve seen mentioned on here have caught my attention. Namely, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment and possibly, possibly, Les Mis. (Zikers! Am I ambitious or what? 😉)

Anyways, all these have one thing in common: they each have multiple translations!! *pulls hair* Ahh!! I’ve never had to deal with this before! 😆

So, if you guys could point me in the right direction, I’d be eternally grateful! Which version did you read? If you’ve by any chance read more than one, which was your favorite? You get the idea. 🙂

For the tags…..@aratrea @daeus @r-j-wordsmith I distinctly remember all three of you mentioning at least one for these as being your favorite. And I’m pretty sure everyone hereabouts loves Les Mis., (😉) so I’ll just tag anyone else I can think of! @kate-Flournoy @emma-Flournoy @winter-rose @dragon-snapper @ethryndal @hope @his-instrument @anyone-else-with-a-suggestion!

Ta,
      Gracie

*is probably geeking out about something*

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

This is the copy I read of the count of monte cristo. It’s the only translation I’ve read, but it felt very well done. https://www.amazon.com/Count-Monte-Cristo-Everymans-Library/dp/0307271129/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1488249837&sr=8-6&keywords=the+count+of+monte+cristo

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Gracie
        @graciegirl

@daeus Thanks!

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

@GracieGirl Read Les Mis. It will not disappoint. (Unless you read the wrong version, perhaps. 😉 )
            The version I read was a Signet Classic, complete and unabridged version, translated by Lee Fahenstock and Norman MacAfee. Here’s a link, just so you can see which one it is…I’m not sure if we bought it from here or not but am pretty certain it’s the same one.

https://www.amazon.com/Miserables-Signet-Classics-Victor-Hugo/dp/045141943X/ref=pd_sim_14_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W2M75BD1F4A6SCZKACXC

Of course since I haven’t read the original French I can’t say how accurate of a translation this is, but as far as clarity and flow goes, it’s great. 🙂 Plus there are translations at the bottom of the pages of the French poems/songs/phrases that still appear in French.

Gracie
            @graciegirl

@emma-Flournoy Perfect! Thank you! 🙂 I’m fairly positive I will read Les Mis. I’m just not sure if, out of all the ones I listed, I’ll read it first.

R. J. Wordsmith
              @r-j-wordsmith
                • Total Posts: 113

I got the Golden Deer Classics edition on Kindle for CoMC. The read was very smooth, and worth every one of the 117 chapters.

Gracie
                @graciegirl

@r-j-wordsmith Thanks!

Snapper
                  @dragon-snapper
                    • Total Posts: 3515

*hides face* I…er…have honestly not read any of those…not even Les Mis. *runs for life*

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Emma Flournoy
                    @emma-flournoy

@GracieGirl *huge thumbs up*

@Dragon-Snapper
                      No one will kill you (at least not I). But is for your own satisfaction you should read them. 😀
                      I’ve only read two of those though, so don’t feel awful. 😛

Snapper
                      @dragon-snapper
                        • Total Posts: 3515

@emma-flournoy That’s a relief…

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Gracie
                        @graciegirl

Concerning The Count of Monte Cristo,

That was amazing

I can’t even…

I’ve been staring into space for about 20 mins. I’m still in shock….

@daeus
                          @r-j-wordsmith

Emma Flournoy
                          @emma-flournoy

@GracieGirl Whoo-HOO! *claps you on the shoulder* It’ll be all right. XD Who was your favorite?
                            But I’m gonna say, wait till you read Les Mis. It’s even better. (Though a different sort of story, I know.)

Daeus
                            @daeus
                              • Total Posts: 4238

No it’s not!

Ok, they’re both good. The point is, you’ve love the best novel in the world too!

I don’t have words for that myself.

When you recover (like, in a year) I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. 🙂

@graciegirl

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Gracie
                              @graciegirl

@Emma-Flournoy I’ve been through book-withdrawal before, but it never really gets any easier, you know? XD It’ll take me a week, maybe two before I can bear to read anything else. 😜
                                It is always so terribly hard to pick fav characters! Of course, I love Edmond, he is awesome, and probably my favorite. And it is very rare for me to like a protagonist best. Luigi Vampa was pretty cool, and his bandit fellow, Peppino was #hilarious at the end there with Danglars. The whole ‘100,000 francs for a piece of bread or chicken’ had me rolling around with laughter. XD But, after Edmond, I really love Albert. Oh, he was an idiot for most of the first half, but he turned out real fine in the end. I really despised him at first, turned up nose at him too. I dunno for sure what happened, but by the end I cared about him a lot.
                                Who was your favorite?

Gracie
                                @graciegirl

@Daeus I’m feeling a teensy bit better. But let us say for sure that I will not be forgetting this book for a loooonnngggg time. Or ever, in all probability. 😉

The ending…oh, my goodness. BEAUTIFUL. For some reason, seeing:

Your friend
                                  Edmond Dantès
                                  Count of Monte Cristo

at the end of his letter to Maximilien and Valentine just broke my heart (in a good way). I got all choked up and watery-eyed. Seeing both names together brought back a flood of memories at once, all we’ve been through seemed concentrated in that signature to me. I will always love a book that can make me feel the fictional passage of time. By which I mean that, at the end of CoMC, I had not known Edmond for two weeks (the time it took to read the whole book), but for 24 years (the time that had passed in the story). It feels as if it has been a lifetime since we rode the Pharaon into the port at Marseille. I actually went back and re-read the first half of the first chapter, which made me get teary-eyed all over again. Oh, all that we’ve endured and seen since then! But I couldn’t make myself fully cry even though I wanted to sooo bad. It gets harder to do that the older I get. And then, of course, Val’s line at the very end was wonderfully moving. I think I’m going to do a painting with it…
                                  Okay, I’m done venting now. 😛 (But I just experienced emotional trauma at the hands of a paperback so it’s to be expected, I suppose.)

Oh, and @Emma-Flournoy fear not! I shall read Les Mis VERY soon. (As soon as I am rehabilitated and find a copy of the good translation, that is. None of my libraries have it!!! 😭 )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >