Amnesia?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Sci-Fi Amnesia?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Rachelle
    @rachelle
      • Total Posts: 63

Okay, so, I know that characters having amnesia and not remembering anything from their lives is cliche (and not very medically accurate), but I’m wondering if it could work in this instance.

Currently in the futuristic novel I’m writing, seven characters wake up without any memories (except for hazy dreams and fuzzy, half-remembered images/impressions). In a sort of Maze Runner style, they discover they are trapped in a reserve-type area and much of the book focuses on them trying to figure out why they’re there, how to get out, and who they are.

Now, the reason I want to use amnesia at all is partly because of the theme. (Partly, of course, for the mystery element. =P) My theme could be summed up as something like Mercy/forgiveness vs Judgement. The characters are all criminals according to the extremely strict laws of my futuristic world and were destined for execution. Somehow (still working out the details) they end up as part of a rehabilitation experiment instead. The aim is to block their memories of their crimes and see if, in essence, their sins can be removed so that they can be reintegrated into society as innocent citizens.
      In my book, this doesn’t work (still working out all the Biblical backing) and the seven begin to regain their memories and remember their crimes. They go through the full circle of denial, shrugging it off, acceptance, and finally, guilt. Mercy vs judgement theme comes into play as they try to decide if their guilt is removable (since the experiment apparently failed) or if they actually deserve to die.

Now we get to my question (finally), is the amnesia aspect acceptable in these circumstances, or would it turn you off when reading the book? A lot of these plot and theme arcs aren’t revealed until later, so upon first reading, it may very well appear like another cliche amnesia story (which, I dunno, maybe it is). I’m not very plot-centric and most plot cliches don’t bother me much, so I figured I’d better ask for outside opinions, just in case. =P

Daeus
      @daeus
        • Total Posts: 4238

@rachelle That sounds really neat, actually. I don’t really think cliches are a big problem, so long as you write well. My one thought is that it would be best if you could at least give some hint of the theme early on. Maybe the characters don’t have any clue about the theme, but you could show some of the government people talking about justice and such.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

Ladies and gentlemen, this is how we integrate theme and premise. Let’s have a round of applause.
          *deafening applause*

@Rachelle
          I love it! Do it. Cliches aren’t cliches if they’re part of the theme and by extension necessary to the story.

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

@Rachelle What they said. 😉

Snapper
            @dragon-snapper
              • Total Posts: 3515

@rachelle What they said. I actually haven’t read too many amnesia books, though I haven’t a small part of it. It think that what you have is great!

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

R. J. Wordsmith
              @r-j-wordsmith
                • Total Posts: 113

Definitely sounds like a winner there @rachelle! And I wouldn’t worry about the cliche, you’ll be putting your own spin on the story.

Gracie
                @graciegirl
                  • Total Posts: 889

@rachelle At the risk of simply echoing everyone else: This is brilliant! You should totally do it! 🙂

*is probably geeking out about something*

Northerner
                  @northerner
                    • Total Posts: 244

Is anyone else surprised that @writefury and @hope weren’t the first ones to respond to this thread?

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy
                      • Total Posts: 3976

@Northerner ha! 😀 It may or may not have crossed my mind…

Daeus
                      @daeus

😎Nothing surprises me, madam.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
                        @hope
                          • Total Posts: 1092

@northerner *scowls* I’m hardly on here anymore. Sadly… Unless someone tags me, I don’t generally see it. But still… amnesia.

*grins and rubs hands*

@rachelle
                          Not that I have much to add. It does seem like a cool idea. One I’d like to read. 😀

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Mark Kamibaya
                          @mark-kamibaya
                            • Total Posts: 318

Top marks to you, @rachelle, for actually having a reason to use a cliche! It’s a pretty interesting twist on a familiar story. Personally, I’d get turned off fast if you had boring characters or didn’t have a theme-glimmer (as Daeus said) to give a sense of the story. So just as long as you incorporate theme and have great characters, I would say it isn’t a problem.

That said, whoever gets through the book will remember it for its strong themes. I’m already interested in it just because of the premise (partially because I disagree with you :P) I’d like to see how you deliver though. I’d gladly like for you to shed a little light on how the “biblical backing” still works in this book. ‘Cause the basic theme is true. How you’re translating that theme into the book . . . I’m not so sure.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Rachelle
                            @rachelle
                              • Total Posts: 63

@daeus
                              Ah, yes, that makes sense. I was wondering how I’d show the theme since they all forgot everything. XD On that note, another question… This book is written in first person POV present tense (for various reasons), and I’m wondering if it would still work to cut from a third person/omniscient POV scene of the government right into a first person present tense POV of the rest of my book? Or would that be too jarring or something? Or should I make a government/theme introducing scene the prologue…

@kate-flournoy

Thanks! =D Yes, that makes sense. Theme is definitely a weak area in my writing, but one I’m working on with this book.

@emma-flournoy

Thanks! =P

@dragon-snapper

Thank you! Yeah, I’ve read a few amnesia books, seen a few amnesia movies and tv shows, played a few amnesia RPG games… XD I’ve seen it a lot.

@r-j-wordsmith

Awesome, thank you! =D I’ll definitely try to make it interesting.

@graciegirl

Thanks! Glad you like it! =D The first draft is currently underway.

@hope

Thank you! Anything that you think would help me execute it better?

@mark-kamibaya

Ah yes, that’s what I’ve got to figure out how to do without losing any of the mysterious feel…

Oooh, interesting! I’d love to hear your point of view so I can be sure to get all sides before I lock it into place. My basic idea is that removing the memory of a crime/sin doesn’t erase it from existence and doesn’t erase the sin nature that I believe we all have. I’m trying to portray that there’s only one way to remove sin and it’s not one that we can do ourselves.

The idea of amnesia has always interested me in this regard… Like, do you become a very different person without the memories that shaped who you are? And how far can you take that? How different of a person can you be if you don’t remember what you’ve done or the important things that have happened in your life?

Hope Ann
                              @hope
                                • Total Posts: 1092

@rachelle Hmm, I don’t know. I mean, there are so many angles you can take. 😀 Amnesia is fun. I’d make sure you are showing the sinfulness of the characters before they start regaining their memories, though. It’s not the past/memories that make them sin, it is their heart.

As for the lost memory… let’s see. Random fun things: you could give them skills – things they somehow know how to do, though they don’t know why they know them. Are any actions or items triggers for memories? You could get some cool symbolism that way. The memories could be mixed into dreams, or they could be flashbacks (*chokes* I just had this random flash of everyone regaining memories, except they regain someone else’s memories… not sure where that came from and I don’t need another idea right now). Just make sure you show new information each time so it doesn’t get repetitive.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
                                @daeus

@rachelle I think you could switch from omniscient to first person, you’d just have to pay extra attention to how you introduce your first person narrator.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >