@jenwriter17
Active 4 years, 3 months ago- Rank: Chosen One
- Total Posts: 2522
-
valtmy replied to the topic Character Development Methods in the forum Characters 8 years, 6 months ago
My rule of thumb is that main characters should be both bright and deep. “Bright” as in they have some qualities that you (and hopefully your readers) find interesting (note: this is not the same as likable or attractive). “Deep” means that these traits come from a source (the characters’ past or background) that should at least be…[Read more]
-
NC Stokes replied to the topic Help!!! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
@celticcailin Hi there! I don’t think we’ve met. *shakes your hand heartily* I don’t write songs, but I do get very into critiquing the ones I listen to. 😛 So, if you want a full rant about what I’ve noticed, I’d be happy to oblige! But I need to go right now, talk to you later!
-
Ariel Ashira replied to the topic Character Development Methods in the forum Characters 8 years, 6 months ago
@gh24682468999 Also, having your MC’s personality different than your sidekicks personality can be more interesting and realistic than if they are the same. Â I guess, all of your characters will be different while always having a little of you in them too.
-
Ariel Ashira replied to the topic Critique for my Kinda Sorta Fantasy Novel in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 6 months ago
@alia. Ooh, I love it! Â Now I want to read the whole thing!
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Character Development Methods in the forum Characters 8 years, 6 months ago
@gh24682468999 Hi Grace! This is a cool question. 🙂 I’m going to answer it for myself, but I have no idea if my methods are the same as everyone else’s. 😀
Well, I read in the front page of every book where the author has the disclaimer which says something like “any resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental,” and I w…[Read more]
-
Ariel Ashira replied to the topic Help!!! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
@annaberens. Hi! Â Welcome to the Kingdom of Pen! Â Do you know how to post topics and such? Â Glad you are here!
-
Ariel Ashira replied to the topic Help!!! in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
@celticcailin Hi!  Very few of my songs turn out fit to sing. 🙂  Do you feel comfortable posting any of your songs so we can see them?  (Its totally fine if you don’t.)  Sounds like you already have some better advice anyway. 🙂
-
Ariel Ashira replied to the topic Character Development Methods in the forum Characters 8 years, 6 months ago
@gh24682468999 I think my favorite thing about writing is creating my characters!  I never thought when I began writing that I would feel so close to my characters.  Sometimes I’m like, “I am so sorry I have to put you through this, my dear character, but its for the best I promise!  You will triumph in the end!”  🙂
Is it your characters per…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Stars Fill Infinity in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 6 months ago
THANK YOU 🙂 🙂
I know, the Chessy and Manly scenes made me very emotional 😢
And yes, be scared! There is emotional trauma coming for you!
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #15 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
Bye 🙂
@jess-penrose that’s really cool! I can’t even play an instrument, let alone compose music but it sounds like an amazing skill!
(Oh yes, I love Banjo. Henry Lawson not so much, but Banjo is awesome! What’s your favourite poem?)
I have to go now 🙂
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #15 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
@jess-penrose Hello! Cool! What kind of music do you compose? My brother is a classical style composer.
Seekjustice recommended that I read poetry by Banjo Patterson and Henry Lawson. 🙂
@seekjustice I’m going to get off now, and I guess you won’t be here when I get back. Jess, I might be back in about an hour for a little bit if you’re sti…[Read more]
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #15 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
I’m working on my novel and also replying to some of the comments you guys have made.
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #15 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
@seekjustice Hello! Okay, I’ll be getting off pretty soon too, anyway. I’m officially working on my western and unofficially on a short story. 🙂 How about you?
-
SeekJustice replied to the topic Writers' Corner #15 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
Hey! I can’t be on the internet for long but I’ll be around for 1/2 hr.
What you working on? I’m glad you liked it. Its a pretty cool book, I really need to do a reread of it!
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Writers' Corner #15 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
@seekjustice @jess-penrose Well, I’m back! Are either of you Australians around? Because I’m afraid most of the other Americans have gone to bed by now… 😛
SeekJustice, I finished A Little Bush Maid this morning, and got so into it that I had read half of the second book, Mates at Billabong, all at once before I realized how far I had got…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic PRAYER REQUESTS #2 in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years, 6 months ago
@seekjustice Thank you so much for asking! Unfortunately, there’s been basically a complete hold-up in the adoption process and we have no idea when we will again start moving forward. It’s much more complicated than it even was when I wrote my original post on the problem, and we’ve come up against several more road blocks. It’s really sad b…[Read more]
-
Skredder replied to the topic Stars Fill Infinity in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 6 months ago
@seekjustice Wow! This was an excellent few chapters!! Oh man, I am so curious as to what happens now.
I didn’t care for Zachary. He’s too flirtatious and he seems really fake, like he’s hiding ulterior motives. Justice, poor Justice. I don’t even know him and that hurt.
Theresa! We met Theresa! The one I had the pleasure to draw! Now that I…[Read more]
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Character Song Swap in the forum Music 8 years, 6 months ago
@leumeister It was Mach 11, I think. It was because the same four notes kept repeating over and over again in the bass. I wasn’t able to listen to all of it, so I could be mistaken, but I listened to a good deal of it and skipped through portions of the rest and it sounded like it was that way the whole way through. In Cannon in D the same ei…[Read more]
-
Skredder replied to the topic Alpha/Beta Readers for My Dystopian WIP in the forum Novel Critique Requests 8 years, 6 months ago
@jenwriter17 I’m not the best person to ask this. So, um, based on what I read, I think there’s is still some telling, but I think it’s better than before. Again, I am not the best person to ask this. I could be completely wrong either way. 🙂
-
Rochellaine replied to the topic Character Song Swap in the forum Music 8 years, 6 months ago
@leumeister I’m sorry. 🙂 As I anticipated they weren’t much to my taste. I will say that the second one was much more interesting than the first, as the first one reminded me somewhat of Cannon in D. However, I do actually like Cannon in D, so that is not necessarily a bad thing. 😉 The real reason I didn’t like them is because I don’t lik…[Read more]
- Load More
