Help!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    RaeMarie
    @celticcailin
      • Total Posts: 22

Hi! A few of you know me. I am not usually active in the forum because of life and work, but I love Kingdom Pen. I need help. Like majorly. I started writing songs a few years ago, but I’m not very good. I struggle with rhyming and rhythms. In a couple of weeks, I have the chance to show my songs to a songwriter and singer at his concerts. I want to try to edit the ones I am going to show him and I need some help with tips, rules, and forms. Thanks!

AnnaBerens
      @annaberens
        • Total Posts: 16

Hey! I’m not much of a songwriter, but my youth group leader is. If you have Facebook, you could try messaging her, and I’m sure she would be willing to help (especially if you tell her Anna Berens recommended her).

https://www.facebook.com/nancy.robinson.739

Grace H.
        @gh24682468999
          • Total Posts: 199

@celticcailin Hey there! I don’t write songs, and I don’t know anyone on the forum who does, so I’m going to tag a bunch of people who know a bunch of people, and maybe can help you locate advice you need.

@dekreel
          @dragon-snapper @supermonkey42 @rochellaine @seekjustice @daeus @catwing @daughteroftheking

It's g-h, 2-4-6-8 twice, three 9's
          literatureforthelight.wordpress.com

Ariel Ashira
          @ariel-ashira
            • Total Posts: 739

@celticcailin Hi!  Very few of my songs turn out fit to sing. 🙂  Do you feel comfortable posting any of your songs so we can see them?  (Its totally fine if you don’t.)  Sounds like you already have some better advice anyway. 🙂

"In a mask, was he?"

Ariel Ashira
            @ariel-ashira
              • Total Posts: 739

@annaberens. Hi!  Welcome to the Kingdom of Pen!  Do you know how to post topics and such?  Glad you are here!

"In a mask, was he?"

The fledgling Artist
              @notawriter
                • Total Posts: 328

Hey! @celticcailin I’m pretty clueless when it comes to music but I think @jess-penrose does music? (maybe??)

and I was so confused

NC Stokes
                @daughteroftheking
                  • Total Posts: 1156

@celticcailin Hi there! I don’t think we’ve met. *shakes your hand heartily* I don’t write songs, but I do get very into critiquing the ones I listen to. 😛 So, if you want a full rant about what I’ve noticed, I’d be happy to oblige! But I need to go right now, talk to you later!

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Ben Powell
                  @supermonkey42
                    • Total Posts: 273

@celticcailin Hi! I love music, but I don’t write lyrics (I play cajon.)

I think @dekreel , @sam-kowal , and @alia write songs, though. (Tell me if I’m wrong, guys!)

Good luck on your music!

A Kapeefer for life!
                    Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

Sam Kowal
                    @sam-kowal
                      • Total Posts: 635

@celticcailin I have some experience writing songs and such, but I’m definitely no expert. I actually barely know anything about any real songwriting ‘rules’ I just go from what I like to write personally. I’d love to give you any help I can. Do you want to post your songs, or a link to them?

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                      Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Sam Kowal
                      @sam-kowal

@supermonkey42 😀 Yep. And Stan sings them. It’s hard on the ears, believe me

Sam Kowal
                        @sam-kowal

@celticcailin Also, here’s a link to a songwriting topic we had here awhile ago

https://kingdompen.org/forums/topic/the-kingdom-pen-songwriting-corner/

Ben Powell
                          @supermonkey42
                            • Total Posts: 273

@sam-kowal I seem to remember Stan’s “heavy metal death screams” being mentioned before. 😉 😀

A Kapeefer for life!
                            Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

J.A. Penrose
                            @jess-penrose
                              • Total Posts: 377

@celticcailin

Yep @notawriter I am a music person.

Ah, step one is probably looking at what style of music it is. (For example, pop is different to country which is different to opera which is different to folk which is different to metal, etc.) The rules change for each style because the ‘rules’ are actually what people find sounds nice. Oh, and sometimes the rules change depending on the country. I mean, here in Australia you are applauded if you chose to break all of the standard rules of music.

What exactly is it that you’re after advice-wise? I can probably help. If you send things through to me I can probably help them work more ‘correctly’ but the main thing is that you understand the cycle of fifths and a few other little things with chord progressions. But music is mostly just up the the composer. Great composers from Mozart to Hans Zimmer broke the rules.

Then again, if it’s rhythm and rhyming you’re after that shooouldn’t be too hard. I’ve probably written enough songs to have a vague idea of what to say. A lot of it really is to try and sing one of them out out in front of someone. When they hear it, they will be able to say if they could follow and hear it. Most of what I write comes from what I sing or play as that is how melody naturally flows. I’m not sure if I’m making sense or not…

But sure, I’ll happily help and I’ll just tag another person who I know does a little bit of song writing and music in general. @jane-maree

Hopefully that was helpful and not just a ton of random rambling of words.

Writer | Freelance Editor
                              Inspiration&lt

RaeMarie
                              @celticcailin
                                • Total Posts: 22

@annaberens Thank you! I am on Facebook 🙂

@ariel-ashira
                                I don’t feel comfortable posting my songs for a lot of people, but if there was a way I could email them to you? @daughteroftheking @sam-kowal @jess-penrose

Also, thank you for all your advice! I will try it and we shall see what happens!:)

J.A. Penrose
                                @jess-penrose
                                  • Total Posts: 377

@celticcailin Uhm, sure. If you give me a moment…

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qocWhdN_vPYGBmeKCdrr4GcM6VFG5izNhBUfGaku0KA/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully, if you go to that link you will be able to access my email address, but I’ll take it down after the day for security reasons.

Always happy to help.

Writer | Freelance Editor
                                  Inspiration&lt

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >