-
Madelyn replied to the topic Do you Prefer Classical or Modern Literature? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 6 months ago
As soon as I saw this topic I had a rush of adrenaline, which very well demonstrates my passion for this topic.
100% classic–all the way
Before I dive into that, I do also really really enjoy modern fiction as well, but the messages are often unbiblical and the stories are too short/shallow. But I do find that modern authors do a really good j…[Read more]
-
Kathleen started the topic Do you Prefer Classical or Modern Literature? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 6 months ago
Do you Prefer Classical or Modern Literature?
Ask me this question a few years ago, I would have said modern literature without hesitation.However… recently I’ve been gravitating much more towards the classics.
I still think modern literature has some clear strengths over classical literature, like having fewer filler scenes and more creative…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Wingfeather Saga in the forum Book Discussions 4 years, 6 months ago
-
Madelyn replied to the topic What's Your Favorite Relationship Type in Fiction? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 6 months ago
Gotta love sibling relationships, but that’s been mentioned enough already XD
Another one I really like (though it’s very specific) is the redeemed traitor type of relationship with the person/people they betrayed. Like when someone who betrayed a person/group comes back to their side with a lot of hesitancy and regret. There’s always a lot of…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Fairytale Retellings in the forum Genre-Writing 4 years, 6 months ago
You were extremely helpful!!! 😀
They really can be overwhelming! To be honest, I haven’t written for a week or so now 😬Â 😱 Life just got crazy!
Oooh, I totally get that. Sometimes a project has to be put off until you’re ready for it.
(hey, how close are you to China? I miscalculated and landed in Australia… again… but the…[Read more]
-
Kathleen replied to the topic What's Your Favorite Relationship Type in Fiction? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 6 months ago
Yuh, sibling relationships ftw. When is a story not better with a sibling, or sibling-like relationship?
Since it’s your favorite, how many sibling duos have you written, and do you have a favorite one you’ve written?
Yeah, there definitely is something special with brother friendships.
Maybe because it’s rarer…[Read more]
-
Kathleen started the topic What's Your Favorite Relationship Type in Fiction? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 6 months ago
What’s Your Favorite Relationship Type in Fiction?
For me it would be sibling relationships. Maybe it’s because I have a lot of siblings, but I feel like there’s this unique built-in connection between sibling relationships that other relationships don’t have.There can be a lot of diverse and interesting dynamics between siblings. They could be…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic How Many Characters Should A Series Have? in the forum Characters 4 years, 6 months ago
Hey!!
Large casts of characters can totally work, and add a lot of depth to the story! The first book that comes to mind is the Silmarillion (which, if you’re a fan of complicated world-building, it’s a MUST READ). I honestly cannot remember HOW many characters are in that book (it is a fictional history book that spans hundreds–or…[Read more]
-
Kathleen replied to the topic Does writing energize or exhaust you? Or both? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 6 months ago
You definitely did not see my profile picture on Pinterest, where I definitely did not get it from. My profile 110% very unique and original. 🙂
It seems like most people get drained from writing. Has there ever been an exception for you? Like a certain chapter that made you excited and energized at…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Fairytale Retellings in the forum Genre-Writing 4 years, 7 months ago
Welcome!!!!! Glad to have you 🙂
Yep, it should be fun ;P
YES, that’s so true!!! My biggest struggle (well, one of them) in writing is gradually becoming more and more afraid of my WIP until I can’t even touch it. I dream big, then suddenly get overwhelmed with my vision for the project. So your advice does not go amiss with me! I reall…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Fairytale Retellings in the forum Genre-Writing 4 years, 7 months ago
Gotchaaa, it’s still a fun idea though ;P
Yeah, it is a good book! Been a while since I read it 😉
Yesssss, I love those books that keep you up late. Though I don’t love them the next morning when I sleep till 10 and go about half asleep all-day XD
That’s true, there is! Exciting 🙂
Yep, it’ll be a ton of…[Read more]
-
Madelyn's profile was updated 4 years, 7 months ago
-
Kathleen changed their profile picture 4 years, 7 months ago
-
Kathleen started the topic Does writing energize or exhaust you? Or both? in the forum Topic of the Week 4 years, 7 months ago
Does writing energize or exhaust you? Or both?Â
Well, for me, both. If ideas are flowing, plot lines connecting, and character’s developing, then I get really excited and end up unable to fall asleep until 2 a.m.However, if ideas are absent, plot lines clashing, and characters are not working, then I end up like a complete tired mess from…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Fairytale Retellings in the forum Genre-Writing 4 years, 7 months ago
Thanks!! =)
YOU DID GET ME I THOUGHT THE FIRST PART WAS THE STORY XDXD
That’s such a cool idea!!!!!!!! Rapunzel being his daughter makes PERFECT sense too!
Did you ever write any of it?
Gotcha 😉
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Fairytale Retellings in the forum Genre-Writing 4 years, 7 months ago
I can imagine XD
Will do!
Thanks so much for all your help!! =) =)
Ohhhh, gotcha, I thought you were referring to the author of Ella Enchanted. Sorry for all the confusion ;P And, yes, I think it was The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre (not the lost princess, I got that mixed up)
Ooh, sounds cool!!
AWESOME; good…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Fairytale Retellings in the forum Genre-Writing 4 years, 7 months ago
The author is Gail Carson Levine, right? (not sure I spelled that right XD). I’ve read two other books by her: The Lost Princess of Bamarre and The Two Princesses of Bamarre (I think those were the titles?? XD).
That’s true, she did a really good job taking a different approach to it!
Yesssss, go for it whenever you can!!…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Fairytale Retellings in the forum Genre-Writing 4 years, 7 months ago
That’s so cool!! I’ve read works by Nadine Brandes; she’s an EPIC writer. I’ll look into it; thanks for the link!
Thanks so much for the advice! Looks like I’ve got some research to do ;P
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Fairytale Retellings in the forum Genre-Writing 4 years, 7 months ago
Ooh, I love your ideas! Unfortunately, I’ve already written him as an old man who asked for the son… however, it WOULD be interesting to change the child to a girl (especially if I start having issues with the prince). I would love to see Rumpel interact with a little girl. So that is a possible rewrite to consider!
Hey, I…[Read more]
-
Madelyn replied to the topic Fairytale Retellings in the forum Genre-Writing 4 years, 7 months ago
HEY, NOW I’M A WISE JESTER
*contemplates this new role*
- Load More
