What’s Your Favorite Relationship Type in Fiction?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s Your Favorite Relationship Type in Fiction?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Lavender Bleu
    @lavenderbookling
      • Total Posts: 19

I’m a sucker for found family. I really enjoy characters going from friends to friends-that-act-like-siblings. One of my projects is basically about nine people from different worlds all becoming close like that (and saving the worlds) and because of the dynamics, it’s one of my favorite projects.

Great success often depends on being able to distinguish between the impossible and the improbable.

Karissa Chmil
      @karissa-chmil
        • Total Posts: 96

@kathleenramm

Hmmmmm. . . a brother-to-brother relationship (or just a close friendship that makes it feel like brother-to-brother) is definitely up there. Not sure exactly why. . .

I also love the master/apprentice-ish relationship (or noble and servant, or mentor and mentee, or whatever. . .) just because having on character clearly in authority over another brings a crazy lot of dynamics that are a lot of fun to play with. XD

Ooh, sibling relationships, whether they’re close or have a more strained relationship are awesome.

M’kay. That response was all over the place. XD

wonder | beauty | truth | love

TheLobsterLover
        @thelobsterlover
          • Total Posts: 28

I LOVE boy-girl friendships where they just stay friends. I have one in a WIP i haven’t touched in a while. You can play with the differences between males and females and how they bounce off eachother WITHOUT the gross kissy stuff.

Also sibling relationships are fun to read, but I feel like I’m preaching to the choir now.

Hmm, how shall I emotionally torture my ocs today I wonder...

GodlyFantasy12
          @godlyfantasy12
            • Total Posts: 6645

OOH OOH!! @trahia-the-minstrel my 2 favs are

Brother relationships UGH I LOVE THEM SO STINKING MUCH or anything that even resembles a brotherly relationship, like just two guys teasing each other 😂 I love the younger older brother thing. (I love guys….I’m a girl what I can say. Boys in books are great 😂)

Also the Best friends lovers thing, but mostly when the boy has an OBVIOUS crush on the girl and is so awkward and sweet and the girls just like “Oh hey!!” And he’s just like AHH

ugh I love it. I’m writing that right now with November and Ara…I love my November.

oh I also love the Snarky guys…look I just like the dudes ok….

I’m not rlly boy crazy in real life…but fictional boys?

WELLLLLLL… that’s an entirely different story…..

*whispers I love you to Aeron and Hickory from the book I just recently finished*

shameless plug the book called On wings of ash and dust is AWESOME TOTALLY RECCOMEND!!

it has 2 words (one curse and one more slang) some violence, romance and magic but nothing you wouldn’t see in your a lord of the rings movie violence wise or in a hallmark movie romance wise.

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
            #ProtectMarcel
            #ProtectSeb

Trahia the Minstrel
            @trahia-the-minstrel
              • Total Posts: 193

@godlyfantasy12

I’ve seen the cover of it, and it looks really intriguing! It’s on my to buy and read list😊.

If you like that kind of romantic friends lovers with awkward shy cute boy and oblivious girl thing, you’d probably like Avatar: The Last Airbender. Have you seen it? It’s a really amazing story and kids show — the only downside being all the fantasy-Buddhist stuff. But I say take that with a grain of salt, and just know it’s not real, and you’ll be fine!

That’s how I watched it when I was 11. Awesome show, amazing characters, ignore all the nonsense that’s not real, and I rate it as one of the best kids shows — if not THE BEST kids show I’ve ever seen.

It’s ending is just sooo satisfying. It’s in my top two most satisfying endings I’ve ever watched/read.

Yup! Guys in books are great. Especially when they’re best friends/brothers and are teasing each other.

My fave every time.

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
              That’s my wish to create.

Madelyn
              @madelyn
                • Total Posts: 115

Gotta love sibling relationships, but that’s been mentioned enough already XD

Another one I really like (though it’s very specific) is the redeemed traitor type of relationship with the person/people they betrayed. Like when someone who betrayed a person/group comes back to their side with a lot of hesitancy and regret. There’s always a lot of different dynamics to it, but I love seeing it play out and (in the end) the character being fully redeemed to the other(s) (usually by some breaking-moment conversation or act of sacrifice).

A few examples would be Edmund (Narnia), Artham & Kalmar (the Wingfeather Saga–though they weren’t technical traitors), and a host of others that I can’t remember XD

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

Keilah H.
                @keilah-h
                  • Total Posts: 3875

I like writing so many different tropes….

Found family is one of my big ones, especially the character who hasn’t seen his parents since he was young, and thinks they’re dead, and then finds out one or both of them is still alive and goes looking for them. That’s basically the whole premise of my current story…..

Sibling relationships are funny, too. I have a brother myself, so I have experience with that in real life…

@godlyfantasy12
                  mentioned the friends to lovers one (where the male character has an obvious crush but the female doesn’t seem to notice), my brother and I have one which is the exact opposite! The girl character couldn’t be more obviously emotionally attached if she tried. Meanwhile, the guy character doesn’t seem to care–although I think he likes her more than he wants to let on.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

GodlyFantasy12
                  @godlyfantasy12
                    • Total Posts: 6645

@keilah-h awww so like Phineas and Isabella!! PHINABELLA FOREVA!!! XD

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                    #ProtectMarcel
                    #ProtectSeb

Trahia the Minstrel
                    @trahia-the-minstrel
                      • Total Posts: 193

@godlyfantasy12

I love Phineas and Ferb! And that song with him and Isabella … “What might have been …”

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
                      That’s my wish to create.

Keilah H.
                      @keilah-h
                        • Total Posts: 3875

@godlyfantasy12 I guess, I’ve only seen, like, one of those. But my male character is a good deal…tougher than that one was. He’s actually an established Star Wars character, and ex-Imperial, so….yeah, you get the picture.

For some reason, I pair off official fandom characters with OCs a lot.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Mary G
                        @maryg3
                          • Total Posts: 90

@Kathleenramm

Hi everyone! Is been a while since I’ve been on the forum but I thought I’d drop in! So many fun topics lately! This topic definitely caught my eye.

I would say my favorite relationship in books would have to be adoption or guardianship. @joy-caroline
                          I also like the type of character who takes someone under their wing whether they want to or not. The sort of unofficial adoption relationship, where the characters don’t realize how much they really need each other until later on.
                          I also like mentor-apprentaice relationship with an unexpected mentor…not an old man.

INFJ/ChristianFiction/ IceCreamAddict/ StarGazer/ https://lamplighterletters.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Kathleen
                          @kathleenramm
                            • Total Posts: 635

@trahia-the-minstrel

Woah. I thought I had written a lot of sibling relationships, but I can honestly say you’ve beaten me.

And yeah, two friends so close they could be brothers pretty much counts as brothers in my eyes.

Since you have written many brother relationships, have you written any sister relationships in your stories? And if you have, are they harder or easier to write than brother relationships?

@lavenderbookling

Found family is so special and touching.

And bro, your story of 9 characters coming together from different worlds sounds amazing.

There are so many possibilities for interesting character dynamics, and character dynamics is one of if not my favorite thing about stories and writing.

It’s what brings stories to life for me.

Do you have a favorite character from the nine characters in your current project?

@karissa-chmil

Brother-to-brother relationships seem to be a popular favorite. There is something so special about them that makes me want to explore more about them to learn why.

There’s just something different about them you know?

@thelobsterlover

UNDERRATED. If done right, I don’t mind a romantic relationship, but I feel like there is a serious lack of good girl-boy platonic relationships.

We writers gotta change that, lol.

@godlyfantasy12

Ha, your whole post is… relatable.

Also, I agree, best friends to lovers relationships are really cute.

@madelyn

Yeah, as heart-wrenching as it is, betrayal opens up so many possibilities, narrative-wise, theme-wise, and character dynamic-wise.

There are just so many cool things you can do with a good betrayal. Particularly one where the betrayed never fully gives up on the betrayer and the betrayer eventually has a redemption.

@maryg3

Those are all such good choices.

The unofficial adoption one particularly stands out to me. Although I don’t see it often, it always results in such sweet character moments and great dynamics.

You mentioning it now makes me want to write one in a future novel.

Have you ever written any of these types of relationships you mentioned before?

Mary G
                            @maryg3
                              • Total Posts: 90

@kathleenramm

Yeah, so now that I think of it I have that relationship in most my writing.😅

For example, I have a Butler who is the mentor in the relationship to an upper classes’ unofficially adopted daughter who is 15 years old. She not legally adopted, but that family wanted to start her out on the right foot into society…so she can leave when she’s older if she wishes “whatever makes her happy” type of thing.

Then I have this young brain surgeon who doesn’t want any type of responsibility laid on him, due to a tragic backstory, until he is thrust into the least ideal position to care for two orphans, one who is a mute. So he’s the reluctant guardian or caretaker type.

I really love writing and reading about these types of relationships. But like you said, they’re not very common…So, that’s why I write about them I suppose. 😄

INFJ/ChristianFiction/ IceCreamAddict/ StarGazer/ https://lamplighterletters.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            >