What’s Your Favorite Relationship Type in Fiction?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week What’s Your Favorite Relationship Type in Fiction?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

What’s Your Favorite Relationship Type in Fiction?

For me it would be sibling relationships. Maybe it’s because I have a lot of siblings, but I feel like there’s this unique built-in connection between sibling relationships that other relationships don’t have. Which makes writing them all the more fun.

There can be a lot of diverse and interesting dynamics between siblings. They could be close, they could be distant, they could be rivals, one could be a mentor to the other, and so on. Whatever the dynamic, they always still have an underlying bond which makes any relationship they have together more interesting.

Also, since they often grow up together, they have a lot of shared memories which also makes for interesting and fun character interactions.

What about you? What is your favorite type of character relationship?

Trahia the Minstrel
      @trahia-the-minstrel
        • Total Posts: 193

@kathleenramm

I love sibling relationships — I’m particularly fond of brother-brother relationships. Which is kinda funny, seeing as how I’m a girl.😂 I did have to two brothers, though, so it’s not like I have no experience in seeing this relationship play out. I also know a lot of brother-brother pairs in my friend group.

But yeah, I really enjoy writing the dynamics between brothers. I find it really fun. I absolutely agree with everything you said above, as well.

I think there need to be more cool sibling relationships in fiction.

However, I must confess I do enjoy mentor-mentee relationships when they’re done well, also. Like Gandalf and Frodo. Or Uncle Iroh and Zuko from Avatar the Last Airbender. Always love a good mentor (provided they’re not the annoying sort that die early on. That’s an entirely different kind of mentor. I’m talking about the ones who survive the whole story. Gandalf comes back, so I’m counting him as the latter.)

But yeah, I think I’d say that sibling relationships (or best friends who are so close they’re basically siblings) are my favourite to read and to write. Why? Cause all the reasons you said, and also — no matter how annoyed or frustrated you get with your sibling, or how often you fight, you always still love them, and that never changes.

Siblings are awesome!

The end of a story, a beautiful picture; a feeling of longing yet hope~
        That’s my wish to create.

Mallory O’Bier
        @overcomer
          • Total Posts: 550

I love a good bromance! Frodo and Sam’s friendship is so moving. I really enjoy reading about guys’ friendships, more than I do romance. Maybe because I’m a girl and it’s more mysterious to me? I don’t know.

All I know is that there’s something awesome and powerful about it, and also vaguely incomprehensible. XD

And cool. Which reminds me, I don’t think I’ve seriously tried depicting that in my own writing yet. I should give it a go sometime. 😀

Linyang Zhang
          @devastate-lasting
            • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm I like master/servant relationships, maybe like young lady and her butler, or something similar. Or I like the idiotic duo who share one brain cell. That’s just really fun to see.

Lately, it's been on my brain
            Would you mind letting me know
            If hours don't turn into days

Trahia the Minstrel
            @trahia-the-minstrel

@overcomer

Hi! I don’t think we’ve met. I’m Tráhia the Minstrel, here on the forum.

Yeah, I think those are some of the reasons I like writing bromances too.

Nice to meet you!

Mallory O’Bier
              @overcomer
                • Total Posts: 550

Nice to meet you too, @trahia-the-minstrel. I haven’t been on here in a really long time. It’s good to be back! 😊

Anonymous
                  • Total Posts: 1379

@kathleenramm I like adoptive parent/adopted child. Especially if it’s a father/daughter relationship. *all the heart eyes* I could be biased, though, since that’s literally my book. XD

Elishavet Pidyon
                  @elishavet-pidyon
                    • Total Posts: 1013

I devour mentor-apprentice relationships, especially when they both need each other, and even more especially when at least one has a painful past.

Then again, siblings are absolutely fantastic. I mean, where else do you get such wonderful loving contention? XD

I also love the friends-who-are-like-siblings-and-would-die-for-each-other. I know it might be cliche, but it’s awesome.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Elishavet Pidyon
                    @elishavet-pidyon

@joy-caroline

Yes! Parent-child relationships are definitely one of my absolute favorites. And there’s always something special about adoption.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Power
                      @power
                        • Total Posts: 292

I love it when two very powerful (but also very different) soldiers are close friends. “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:13

“And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.” 1 Samuel 18:1

“Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken” Ecclesiastes 4:9-12″

You will love what you spend time with.

Trahia the Minstrel
                        @trahia-the-minstrel

@power

Ooo! I love that too! In fact, I have such a duo in my book series … and they’re also estranged brothers. They’re like the two most boss warriors in the land!

Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 1379

@elishavet-pidyon

I just love adoption stories in fiction!

Also, I too ADORE mentor/apprentice. And give me allllll the painful backstories.

Elishavet Pidyon
                            @elishavet-pidyon

@joy-caroline

Yes!!  I am attempting to have a sort of adoption story in my Eirtan books, but it’s a bit different, (a subplot) dwelling on the complexities of identity and personal callings.

And wow, that was a mouthful! XD

Exactly! Mentor-appprentice relationships and dark pasts are just… delectable. *Happy moan*

@power

I love those too! There’s nothing quite it.

Kathleen
                              @kathleenramm
                                • Total Posts: 635

@trahia-the-minstrel

Yuh, sibling relationships ftw. When is a story not better with a sibling, or sibling-like relationship?

Since it’s your favorite, how many sibling duos have you written, and do you have a favorite one you’ve written?

@overcomer

Yeah, there definitely is something special with brother friendships.

Maybe because it’s rarer for guys to be open and close with one another than girls are. So, when they are close to one another like in a brother type relationship, it’s stands out more and is more touching and special.

But that’s just a theory off the top of my head. The topic of what makes brotherships so intriguing is an interesting one and deserves to be explored more!

You should totally try writing one in a future novel!

@devastate-lasting

Master/servant relationships are definitely very intriguing. Particularly if they are both a part of the main cast of characters.

Maybe what makes them so interesting is because there’s an obvious power difference between them which make the character interactions have so many dynamics and potential for various fun shenanigans.

@joy-caroline

Even if you might be a bit biased, those relationships are so special and sweet. I love stories that have parent/adopted child relationship in it.

@elishavet-pidyon

Mentor-apprentice relationships are a certified classic for a reason! Relationships where one or both of the characters push each other to become better… there are little things better than that in fiction.

@power

Ah, those verses perfectly describe the best kind of friendship. For both fiction and in real life.

Trahia the Minstrel
                                @trahia-the-minstrel

@kathleenramm

How many sibling duos have I written? Oh boy, here we go …

*rubs hands together while chuckling*

So, I have a pair of fraternal twins in my current WIP, a girl and boy. (The boy is one of my main POVs.) Then I also have a pair of side characters who are brothers — I think they’re some of my favourite to write. Then my other main POV has a fraternal twin brother — I love writing their relationship. Their relationship is about my favourite one in the whole story, almost. And then I have a sister-brother relationship with the same POV. I also have a sister-sister relationship behind the scenes between two side characters. And then there’s a more prominent sister-brother relationship with one of my mentor characters and his sister.

I have a pair of identical twin brothers in an idea I’m working on, but I haven’t properly written that yet. (Though I did write a character study, and they were fun when they interacted with each other.)

I think, if I had to pick a favourite, it would either be the side character brother-brother relationship in my current WIP (which is the one I mentioned to @power above), or the main POV and his fraternal twin brother. I just love my brother duos, all! They are so fun to write!!

… Technically I also have a pair of friends who are so close they could be brothers, and they basically think of each other as brothers anyway. Do they count? I like writing their relationship too.

But fraternal twin and main POV brotherhood, as well as side character brotherhood, definitely win.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >