Fairytale Retellings

Home Page ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Fiction Writing ā€ŗ Genre-Writing ā€ŗ Fairytale Retellings

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Madelyn
    @madelyn
      • Total Posts: 115

@trahia-the-minstrel

Ooh, I love your ideas! Unfortunately, Iā€™ve already written him as an old man who asked for the sonā€¦ however, it WOULD be interesting to change the child to a girl (especially if I start having issues with the prince). I would love to see Rumpel interact with a little girl. So that is a possible rewrite to consider!

Hey, I love what ifā€™s! Feel free to keep throwing them at me =)

Ā 

@elishavet-pidyon

YES, throw out anything retelling-related!!

I have readĀ Ella Enchanted!Ā Itā€™s been a little while though. It actually took me a while to figure out that it was a retelling XD (might have been like halfway through the book or something ;)) It was definitely a unique take on the story! I enjoyed it.

OHHH IĀ loveĀ your story idea!! You should totally pursue it (it could even work for a short story). I especially love your take onĀ whyĀ she was running (lots of cool ways you could go with that).

Iā€™ll look into both stories! Iā€™m curious to know what ā€œsomething elseā€ means XD šŸ˜‰

Feel free to hop on here and ramble about retellings anytime. This thread can totally be reused for anyone wanting to talk about this subject (hence, the broad and vague title).

So, long story short (and this could still use a ton of work)ā€¦

Rumpelā€™s wife diesĀ two years after the birth of their son. He raises his son on his own and teaches him his trade (goldsmithing, of course). His son grows up and is drafted into the kingā€™s army. Seeing as his son means everything to him, Rumpel goes to plead with the king. He climbs the caste wall and gets in through the window. Lo and behold, thereā€™s the millerā€™s daughter with her predicament. Rumpel spins the straw into gold and she gives him her necklace in exchange (he hopes to use it to bribe the king into bringing his son home). He tries to get into the rest of the castle, but he gets caught and thrown in jail for a night. The next day he comes back, and thereā€™s the maiden with theĀ sameĀ problem again. She threatens to scream for the guards if he doesnā€™t help her again. He does it, and she gives him her ring.

The next morning he finds out that his son was killed in battle. On a quest for vengeance, he climbs back through the castle window and lands in a massive pile of straw. Yep, thereā€™s the girl again. She begs him to help her one last time, promising to give him anything when she married the king. He demands she give him her future child (basically, payback to the king for taking his son). When the time comes, she canā€™t guess his name, and he gets the kid.

The story begins ten years later. Heā€™s been raising the boy in his ā€œhermit cottageā€ in the mountains, avoiding contact with society (especially the royal family). The prince has no knowledge of his ancestry (although he knows that Rumpel is not his father). Actually, come to think of it, the prince could use a lot more fleshing out XD

Sorry, I didnā€™t plan on rambling so long, and Iā€™m not even sure if thatā€™s what you were asking about XD

Ā 

~In Christ Alone My Hope Is Found~

Madelyn
      @madelyn

@r-m-archer

Thatā€™s so cool!! Iā€™ve read works by Nadine Brandes; sheā€™s an EPIC writer. Iā€™ll look into it; thanks for the link!

Thanks so much for the advice! Looks like Iā€™ve got some research to do ;P

Elishavet Pidyon
        @elishavet-pidyon
          • Total Posts: 1013

@madelyn

Yeah, Ella Enchanted is fantastic.

If I ever remember the author of Ella, Iā€™ll put it on here. Thereā€™re a bunch of different books with the title, but this particular one has a very unique twist. I mean, what other one has the stepsisters be realistic or suffer as well as Ella? Or a pet chicken that likes gossip? (Okay, donā€™t answer that, I donā€™t want my bubble popped.) šŸ˜‰

Yay! Thank you. Itā€™s been steeping a while, and IĀ doĀ want to pour it out, but first I need to finish a few other projects. A short story is a good idea, I may just have to try that.

And yes, there are some really crazy ways it could go.

It sure isĀ something else.Ā However, Iā€™m not sure how much of a complement to the story that was meant. Itā€™s a bit dramatic. And int-er-rest-ing.

Any rewrites have my interest. Seriously, itā€™s a story that could be taken anywhere, and needs to be, in my humble opinion. šŸ˜‰

Grimm fairy tales = grim tales

And I will stop ranting.

AndĀ yourĀ story sounds amazing! Wow! Does he teach the prince the goldsmithā€™s art? What does the prince call him? Is it cold up in the mountains? Does the prince like living in the mountains?

And now Iā€™LL stop rambling.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Karissa Chmil
          @karissa-chmil
            • Total Posts: 96

@madelyn

Aww, thank you! And I will. XP Planning to get it professionally edited next year. . . still not sure if Iā€™ll be pursuing publication with it, but I havenā€™t ruled the idea out yet.

*salutes*

XD

Yesssss, theyā€™re amazing. Itā€™s good! I donā€™t think I enjoyed it quite as much as Dust and Shadow, but it was still wonderful. And the cover is absolutely stunning. <3

wonder | beauty | truth | love

GodlyFantasy12
            @godlyfantasy12
              • Total Posts: 6645

@karissa-chmil I just realized I tagged u wrong in my post to u šŸ¤£

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
              #ProtectMarcel
              #ProtectSeb

Karissa Chmil
              @karissa-chmil

@godlyfantasy12

Oh, goodness. XD Whoops.

*GASPETH* THATā€™S BRILLIANT! WHOA, THATā€™S SO COOL. šŸ˜

Heheh, yep, drawing parallels is so much fun. The wolf in mind is the brother of Maid Marian, and since the girlā€™s name is Scarlet I had Will Scarlet play around with different last names before finally settling on Hunter and filling that role. . . yeah. Itā€™s so much fun drawing those parallels.

Eeeeeeee, I love that. Such a lovely feeling.

Madelyn
                @madelyn

@elishavet-pidyon

The author is Gail Carson Levine, right? (not sure I spelled that right XD). Iā€™ve read two other books by her:Ā The Lost Princess of BamarreĀ andĀ The Two Princesses of BamarreĀ (I think those were the titles?? XD).

Thatā€™s true, she did aĀ reallyĀ good job taking a different approach to it!

Yesssss, go for it whenever you can!!! And let me know when/if you do, Iā€™d love to hear more about it!

Mmmm, I see, itā€™s ā€œinterestingā€. That says it all XD šŸ˜‰

He doesnā€™t teach the prince goldsmithing, because he actually lost his ability/gift/power to weave straw into gold after he used it the last time for the millerā€™s daughter. Not sure why yetā€¦ šŸ¤”

The prince calls him Papa, much to his annoyance šŸ˜‰ Usually goes something likeā€¦

ā€œPapa?ā€

ā€œIā€™m not your papa. Stop yapping.ā€Ā (Heā€™s a bit of the grumpy hermit character XD)

Definitely cold up in the mountains!! Iā€™m from the Midwest, so Iā€™ve got firsthand experience to write from ;P

Not exactly sure how the prince feels about the whole deal. He doesnā€™t have much contact with other people apart from visits to the village. Heā€™s usually Rumpelā€™s little shadow šŸ˜‰

(Thanks for the questions, they help flesh out my ideas!!!! :D)

Ā 

@karissa-chmil

That would be so cool to get it professionallyĀ edited! Thatā€™s like every writersā€™ dream XD

Iā€™ll look into it then! Yesss, all her covers areĀ amazing.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Karissa Chmil
                  @karissa-chmil

@madelyn XD Yep! Itā€™s both very exciting and slightly terrifying at the same time.

Let me know what you think when you do! And most definitely agreed.

Elishavet Pidyon
                    @elishavet-pidyon
                      • Total Posts: 1013

@madelyn

Hmmm, I donā€™t think so? Iā€™m sorry for being confusing. (Which I can definitely be.) I think Gail Carson Levine wrote those, and Iā€™ve read some of her stuff (like Ella Enchanted), though not those you just mentioned. Maybe Iā€™ll have to look into them. šŸ™‚ (I did read one called something like The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre, so that might actually be one you mentioned.)

However, I believe this author is different. (And there are tons of rewrites, so that doesnā€™t help clear anything up. At all.) She also wrote a book calledĀ Finding Beauty in the Beast,Ā which was really sweet, but not as good as Ella ,Ā in my very humble opinion. I donā€™t think sheā€™s a very well known author.

AND I FINALLY LOOKED HER UP! Sheā€™s Jessilyn Stewart Peaslee.

I will try! And you will definitely hear from me about it. šŸ™‚ Thanks for the encouragement.

It is interesting. XD

He lost it? Hmmmm. *Quickly drags myself out of a bunny trail.*

Aww, thatā€™s perfect! And hilarious. The poor boy. Does Rumple ever come to like it? (Whether or not he shows it?)

Brrrr. Yeah, the Midwest can get extremely chilly, but hey, what better inspiration than experience is there?

Itā€™s definitely an interesting thing to consider. *Now wondering how Iā€™d feel about it.*

And youā€™re welcome! Iā€™ll try not to ask too many. Which is absolutely possible, soā€¦ šŸ˜¬:)

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Daisy Torres
                      @daisy-torres
                        • Total Posts: 691

@madelyn Ahhh this is such a great idea!!! And tying it in with PETER PAN???? SIGN me UP!!! I will absolutely read this if you ever publish it XD Good luck!!!

Advice for retellings? Let your imagination run wild! What if the smallest, most meaningless detail in a fairytale had an ulterior motive, a magical purpose, or was the start of an epic plot-twist?? I love retelling so much XD

"It's easy to be caught up in stardust and whispers when reality is so dark and loud."

Madelyn
                        @madelyn

@karissa-chmil

I can imagine XD

Will do!

Thanks so much for all your help!! =) =)

@elishavet-pidyon

Ohhhh, gotcha, I thought you were referring to the author of Ella Enchanted. Sorry for all the confusion ;P And, yes, I think it was The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre (not the lost princess, I got that mixed up)

Ooh, sounds cool!!

AWESOME; good luck!!!! =)

Ikr, there are a lot of ways I could go with that. Figuring outĀ whyĀ he lost his gift is gonna require a lot of brainstormingā€¦ šŸ˜‰

Rumpel wonā€™t even admit to himself how fond he is of the prince, but I think as the story progresses (andĀ thingsĀ happen *thunderclap*) heā€™ll appreciate the princeā€™s devotion more.

Yesssss, itā€™s VERY cold over here XD Feeling lotssss of inspiration šŸ˜³

Yeah, Iā€™m gonna have to dive into the princeā€™s character a little more! Iā€™m trying to avoid the stereotypical shallow, sweet little kid šŸ˜¬

Hey, youā€™ve been nothing but helpful!! =) I rarely get this many perspectives on one of my story ideas, and Iā€™m really enjoying it!

Ā 

@daisy-torres

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!! Iā€™m super excited about it =) Iā€™ll let you know if I ever get it publishedā€¦ gotta write it first though XD ;P

Iā€™m having a lot of fun brainstorming the Peter Pan part. Itā€™s gonna be a blast!!!

OOH, good advice!! Those little details hold sooo much potential. Iā€™ll have to really get some good brainstorming sessions on that =)

Ā 

GodlyFantasy12
                          @godlyfantasy12
                            • Total Posts: 6645

@madelyn

Your idea sounds so great!! (I for one love little boys in books soooo šŸ˜‚)

I actually had a fairytale retelling with Rumplestiltskin and maybe one day Iā€™ll return to it. But your talking about yours makes me think of mine and Iā€™m like ā€œManā€¦.it was pretty neatā€¦ lolā€

So in mine Rumplestiltskin was just an average older man, except for his ability to spin straw into gold (I LOVE THE WORD YOU CAME UP WITH FOR THAT BTW!!!) Heā€™s kept his talent secret and hasnā€™t even used it to make himself rich, only when absolutely necessary, although he does have a huge heart.

That being said, when he was younger, a girl from his village was taken by the king at that time (you know the story about how she gets into the predicament, but itā€™s not rlly fleshed out yet) long story short, if she doesnā€™t find a way to give the greedy king Gold heā€™s going to kill her

Rumple, having a big heart of course wants to help her but has to keep his secretā€¦wellā€¦secretā€¦but how does he explain where he gets all the gold?!

Another long story short, as time goes on Rumple and this girl begin to fall in love, and eventually he tells her his secret and they get married.

But thatā€™s just the backstoryā€¦.

Ā 

HA GOT YOU!!

THIS IS THE REAL STORY!!

Years later, after quite a few miscarriages, the couple gives up on having a child, until one day, it happens. Sadly, his wife dies in childbirth.

Rumple is heartbroken but vows to take care of the little girl, who has been born with a head full of hair as pure as gold.

Before she dies, the womanā€™s final words are the childā€™s name.

ā€œRapunzel.ā€

#IfMarcelDiesIRiot
                            #ProtectMarcel
                            #ProtectSeb

Keilah H.
                            @keilah-h
                              • Total Posts: 3874

@godlyfantasy12 Fairytale plot twists are always fun! That one sounds cool!

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Keilah H.
                              @keilah-h
                                • Total Posts: 3874

@madelyn It wasĀ Once Upon a Time,Ā come to think of it. I asked my friends about it.

Where'd I get ya this time? The liver? The kidney? I'm runnin' outta places to put holes in ya.

Madelyn
                                @madelyn

@godlyfantasy12

Thanks!! =)

YOU DID GET ME I THOUGHT THE FIRST PART WAS THE STORY XDXD

Thatā€™s such a cool idea!!!!!!!! Rapunzel being his daughter makes PERFECT sense too!

Did you ever write any of it?

Ā 

@keilah-h

Gotcha šŸ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >