Does writing energize or exhaust you? Or both?

Home Page Forums General Site Info Topic of the Week Does writing energize or exhaust you? Or both?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen
    @kathleenramm
      • Total Posts: 635

Does writing energize or exhaust you? Or both? 

Well, for me, both. If ideas are flowing, plot lines connecting, and character’s developing, then I get really excited and end up unable to fall asleep until 2 a.m.

However, if ideas are absent, plot lines clashing, and characters are not working, then I end up like a complete tired mess from wracking my brain to make things work.

Funny thing is that it’s never anything in between. Either writing knocks me out, or makes me feel like I consumed an entire pot of coffee and a bag a Skittles.

So yeah…

What about you? Does writing energize or exhaust you? Or perhaps both?

Linyang Zhang
      @devastate-lasting
        • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Boi, your profile picture sure looks familiar, although a tad bluer haha.

I think writing will always drain me. I don’t think I’ve ever walked away from writing without feeling a little more tired than before. Unless I’m in the middle of a load of homework and I needed to write a paragraph or something as a pick-me-up or a procrastination technique. As you do.

So yeah, I can go into writing excited, but leaving will always make me feel like I need to sleep.

Lately, it's been on my brain
        Would you mind letting me know
        If hours don't turn into days

Elishavet Pidyon
        @elishavet-pidyon
          • Total Posts: 1013

@kathleenramm

If the word are cooperative and characters are caught in the midst of some dilemma or moment of humor, then I think I get excited. However, most of the time I’m kinda neither. It usually settles me into a quiet bit of daydreaming/brainstorming. Or I am just satisfied that my essay is strait or my imagery clear.

Unless it isn’t, but that’s a different sort of exhausting.

Ideas make me excited though. Especially the unexpected ones that come leaping from the shadows to drag me into far off worlds. Yep, the ideas are thrilling.

You have listened to fears, child. Come, let me breathe on you... Are you brave again? -Aslan

Autumn Rebecca
          @autumn-rebecca
            • Total Posts: 57

Both. Majorly. It either takes up my mental energy (a lot) or keeps me up into late hours because I thought of an idea that I don’t want to forget. Best way to do that is not sleep, right? 😅

Words have the ability to touch the darkest souls... The receiver must simply allow them to.

Morgan
            @morgan
              • Total Posts: 51

Writing itself does not energize me, but thinking of characters and plots and stuff energizes me. I can be seen frantically scribbling in a notebook or laying awake at night thinking of something new to add, but I can also be seen in front of the computer typing with fatigue. In general, writing if I don’t really have a clear plan in mind exhausts me.

Some people fail; others learn what not to try.

Kathleen
              @kathleenramm
                • Total Posts: 635

@devastate-lasting

You definitely did not see my profile picture on Pinterest, where I definitely did not get it from. My profile 110% very unique and original. 🙂

It seems like most people get drained from writing. Has there ever been an exception for you? Like a certain chapter that made you excited and energized at all?

@elishavet-pidyon

I’m with you there. Ideas can be so thrilling, but when they aren’t connecting it’s the opposite of thrilling, haha.

@autumn-rebecca

Yep. There are few things better than sleep. One of them is writing.

@morgan

That makes sense. Writing can be its most exhausting when you feel like you are running in circles and not getting anywhere.

Linyang Zhang
                @devastate-lasting
                  • Total Posts: 1700

@kathleenramm Hmm unless you count the time I couldn’t fall asleep from like midnight to two in the morning because I kept getting writing ideas to jot down haha. That was pretty energizing.

Lately, it's been on my brain
                  Would you mind letting me know
                  If hours don't turn into days

Mallory O’Bier
                  @overcomer
                    • Total Posts: 550

Writing energizes me and fills me with joy. I’m truly happiest when writing. I can get tired while writing, but it doesn’t usually exhaust me. It’s only really exhausting if the words or inspiration or whatever I need just isn’t flowing as it should. :/

But if I’ve turned my light off and I get a sudden spark of an idea… I may turn the light back on, but I might just commit it to memory and recall it in the morning. It depends on whether or not I can convince myself to move, lol. 🙂

NaNoWriMo was exhausting. I needed like a whole month away from serious writing to recover. Then again, it might not have been so tiring if I hadn’t taken a couple of weeks off in between to reevaluate, and then had to write twice as much each day to finish.

@kathleenramm
                    Yes, sleep is good. Sometimes sleep is my favorite, and sometimes writing is.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  >